Dundalk V Bray Wanderers | Fri 13 Oct | 7:45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Bray Wanderers | Fri 13 Oct | 7:45pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Like muppet says Cork had no say in the matter and he didn't want to stay and miss another summer transfer window.

He's after scoring again for Preston as I type.

I was of a similar opinion that Cork 'know how to play us'. I don't quite think it's that - I think the way we set up plays into all their strengths. They don't really do anything different tactics wise against us to other matches. They work their socks off to win the ball back between their box and the halfway line and try to break quickly from there. They do work harder against *us* though, definitely.

But that's why they've missed Maguire so badly - opposing defences find it much easier to set themselves now and they don't know what to do with the ball other than to try and knock it over the top or into the channels for Sheppard to chase. They have 8 points from their last 8 League matches and 5 goals - relegation form.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Good win, dug it out somewhat & those that played Tuesday in Tallaght looked jaded as the game went on.
Still shows how strong our fitness levels are ,when although tired we kept at it towards the game end & Duffy took his goal well & the win was well deserved.

What on earth was Brennan thinking of, his manager must have gone bananas when he saw his sending off.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Thought we played well last night against a side that defended excellently and were very hard to break down. McGrath was excellent again. He could be a massive player for us next year.

My only gripe was we were panicking near the end and shooting from everywhere. I'd say every Dundalk player on the pitch bar Rogers had at least two shots. Needed a leader on the pitch to calm things down. That's where we miss O'Donnell
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:29 am

Very difficult for SK on Friday. Obviously trying to get everyone ready for the cup final but it's not in the man's psyche to hand the title to Cork. We had just about enough on the pitch, although probably not on the bench (u19s lost 3-0 at home to Cabinteely yesterday). Regardless of how we got there, the disappointment in the Des Kelly stand when the news came through from Oriel serves them right. They have to win the league, not have it handed to them.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am

With the hurricane due to make landfall late Monday afternoon, what are the chances of the COrk Derry game being postponed?

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am

Louth4sam wrote: McGrath was excellent again. He could be a massive player for us next year.

I think he definitely will be, was hugely impressive when he had to step into the frame on Tuesday and showed a physical side to his game at exactly the right time. I think the compensation deal was around €20k to Pats and that is looking not only a great bit of business but possibly even a better player than Sadlier who we missed out on.

How did Jake O'Connor do on Friday lads, I missed the match, heard he is one for the future.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:With the hurricane due to make landfall late Monday afternoon, what are the chances of the COrk Derry game being postponed?

Moved to Tuesday. They were slow about it until Derry said they didn't want to travel if there was a doubt.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Pity, was hoping it would be moved to next week. If results went our way Friday night we then could have been 3 points behind going into the last week of the season, which would have been extraordinary

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:50 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Pity, was hoping it would be moved to next week. If results went our way Friday night we then could have been 3 points behind going into the last week of the season, which would have been extraordinary

It's a long shot, but if Derry did manage a win on Tuesday night, it would make for great craic next weekend with Cork visiting St Pats. You have to go back to 21 Aug to find the last time they won in the league - a scrathcy 1-0 win at Finn Harps
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Derry didn't find out until they'd already left, because they decided to come to Cork a day early and were told earlier it would go ahead. Shitshow.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Oh, and

CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND
FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER DAY

:)

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 pm

mike wrote:
Louth4sam wrote: McGrath was excellent again. He could be a massive player for us next year.

I think he definitely will be, was hugely impressive when he had to step into the frame on Tuesday and showed a physical side to his game at exactly the right time. I think the compensation deal was around €20k to Pats and that is looking not only a great bit of business but possibly even a better player than Sadlier who we missed out on.

How did Jake O'Connor do on Friday lads, I missed the match, heard he is one for the future.

McGrath is no winger though, went out of the game when pushed to the right side. He was excellent up to that. Defo a number 10 but we have a pretty decent one at the moment!

O'Connor did ok, difficult for him as Bray have some good players. Should have had a goal but hit the post, came at him quickly to be fair

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm

El Paso wrote:Derry didn't find out until they'd already left, because they decided to come to Cork a day early and were told earlier it would go ahead. Shitshow.

With one of the stands crocked in Turners Cross i'd say the game will be postponed until next week. Barring a quick clean up and closing that side of the ground. Be risky to do so imo.
Last edited by dell on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Looks like RTE are forcing the issue here and want the game played. Closing a large part of the ground and locking out a substantial number of home fans on their (hoped for) coronation will not go down well. Imagine how we would react?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Dunno who is driving the decision. Cork seem very anxious to play it. They were saying at lunchtime yesterday it was going ahead, which was blatant nonsense at the time. It's absolutely stunning to think a game would be played in a ground 24 hours after a roof collapsed on one of the stands.

Return to “General Discussion”