2018 Season - Fixtures

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 am

And so it begins...the potential fixture congestion

Although it does not automatically follow that the choice was available to the club, I would prefer to have played the Sligo match away this Sunday (in between two home Euro fixtures) than playing Bohs at home on Sunday 29 July (in between the home Larnaca match and the defining away match in Cyprus)


Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby White Horse » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:12 am

Until the final whistle blew on Thursday evening, the players were completely focussed on Levadia Tallinn. They now need to focus exclusively on Larnaca. Video analysis, tactical preparation, and coaching is key when playing a team and players for the first time. An away game in Sligo would have disrupted this process.

A home game against Bohs between games against Laranca is less of an issue as the tactical work has been done. It will have to be updated for any issues or new bits of information that arose in the first leg, but that should be a lesser workload than the initial tactical coaching.

The coaching staff at the club were adamant that the Sligo game was the problem fixture. I trust that they know what they are doing.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am

White Horse wrote:Until the final whistle blew on Thursday evening, the players were completely focussed on Levadia Tallinn. They now need to focus exclusively on Larnaca. Video analysis, tactical preparation, and coaching is key when playing a team and players for the first time. An away game in Sligo would have disrupted this process.

A home game against Bohs between games against Laranca is less of an issue as the tactical work has been done. It will have to be updated for any issues or new bits of information that arose in the first leg, but that should be a lesser workload than the initial tactical coaching.

The coaching staff at the club were adamant that the Sligo game was the problem fixture. I trust that they know what they are doing.


Any league game in the middle of the Europa matches creates a challenge - be that fatigue and injury risks or player tactical preparation and focus. Postponements obviously alleviate this, but create other problems later.

Either way it's a dilemma - if, as you suggest, the club were able to dictate a choice between the Sligo and Bohs games being postponed, I respect the management view that you have suggested.

In any event, it is what it is and the management and players just have to work with it
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby oldfogey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 am

I think distance was the factor for the Sligo game. Sunday would be written off and - with players not home until 2 or 3am - most of Monday.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3810
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:44 am

Europa league QR3 draw today. Proceedings in Nyon to get underway at 12.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby oldfogey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:48 am

I see the Sligo game has been refixed for Monday 20th August, ko 7.45, sandwiched between Bray(A) on 17th and FAI Cup R2 on w/e 26th.

Still to be rescheduled:

Shamrock Rovers (H)
St Patrick's Athletic (A) LSC SF

Although the Rovers game last night was postponed we are officially into Round 4 so I will list the run-in. Cup draws notwithstanding, it could be a fairly barren period from the point of view of home games.

Fri 10 Aug Dundalk v Cobh Ramblers
Fri 17 Aug Bray Wanderers v Dundalk
Mon 20 Aug Sligo Rovers v Dundalk
Fri 24 Aug FAI Cup R2
Fri 31 Aug Limerick v Dundalk
Fri 7 Sep FAI Cup QF
Fri 14 Sep Dundalk v Derry City OR
Sat 15 Sep EA SPORTS CUP Final
Fri 21 Sep Cork City v Dundalk
Sun 30 Sep FAI Cup SF
Fri 5 Oct Dundalk v St Patrick's Ath.
Fri 12 Oct Waterford v Dundalk
Fri 19 Oct Dundalk v Sligo Rovers
Fri 26 Oct Bohemians v Dundalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:51 am

Any idea what the re-fixing of the Shamrock Rovers game is dependent on?

If we progress in both cup competitions, when should we expect to have Shamrock Rovers & Derry City home matches?

Bearing in mind that Cork play in Europe over the next 2 weeks, any opinion on how many matches in hand there will be when we meet Cork in Turners Cross 21 Sept?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7441
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby mike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

I think we are probably looking like a Monday night for the Rovers game. August might be a bit cramped so possibly Monday 3rd Sept might work?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:17 pm

mike wrote:I think we are probably looking like a Monday night for the Rovers game. August might be a bit cramped so possibly Monday 3rd Sept might work?


A midweek fixture (Monday or Tuesday) is nailed on except in the bizarre circumstances where both Dundalk and Rovers happen to make an early cup exit.

Last season the early FAI cup rounds had extra time in the event of a draw while the later rounds had replays (our semi-final with Rovers went to a replay). if it is the same this season there are available dates in August -
Mon 13 Aug (after R1 cup match with Cobh -presumably too soon?
Mon 27 Aug (after R2 cup match if we qualify)

It's better to play the re-fixed matches sooner rather than later.

In the event that we qualify for the EA Sports Cup final, the Derry City match scheduled for 14 Sept would also need to be re-fixed.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7441
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby mike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Amazing really when you consider we are just into August and there is almost 3 full months left, and yet we only have two more guaranteed Friday night league games* left.

Pats and Sligo and both of these are in October. The Sligo one is the final home game of the season. What a night that might be if we have a chance to win it then.

* We could have a few more Friday night matches if drawn at home in the cup and one is next week.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby oldfogey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am

Ezeikial wrote:
mike wrote:I think we are probably looking like a Monday night for the Rovers game. August might be a bit cramped so possibly Monday 3rd Sept might work?


A midweek fixture (Monday or Tuesday) is nailed on except in the bizarre circumstances where both Dundalk and Rovers happen to make an early cup exit.

Last season the early FAI cup rounds had extra time in the event of a draw while the later rounds had replays (our semi-final with Rovers went to a replay). if it is the same this season there are available dates in August -
Mon 13 Aug (after R1 cup match with Cobh -presumably too soon?
Mon 27 Aug (after R2 cup match if we qualify)

It's better to play the re-fixed matches sooner rather than later.

In the event that we qualify for the EA Sports Cup final, the Derry City match scheduled for 14 Sept would also need to be re-fixed.


Midweek after a cup round is unlikely unless both Dundalk and Rovers are fixed early for Friday night. The minimum notice is 7 days but I can't see the Rovers game being called for the 13th given that it is a Category A match. It gives little time for security/ticket arrangements.

Cup ties are designated "weekend of" so could end up being set for Saturday or Sunday. Next weekend's fixtures were only confirmed a couple of days ago, so not much time to refix a league tie. The draw itself could also have a major bearing if we came out together.

Assuming we win tomorrow in Cobh, I think the Derry game will go to October along with the LSC Final (SF could be anytime!). That leaves September for the Rovers match. I'd say they will wait until after the FAI CUP QF(7/9) to confirm. There are 9 days between the Cork game and the SF, so either Mon/Tue or - God forbid - that weekend. This is all conjecture and a bit of logic, but the FAI were out the back having a fag when God was dishing out common sense, so who knows

As regards games in hand on Cork, I don't believe they will have anything postponed. Home Farm on Saturday at 2pm is an odd one, given that they play Rosenborg at home on Thursday. Their home game to Pats on 17th will have to push to Sunday, even if they make it to the EL playoff round.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby oldfogey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 pm

I see the Rovers game has been refixed for Tuesday August 28th. I know one person who will probably opt to give their debs a miss!

Let's hope that (a) we beat Cobh and (b) don't pull a long distance away game in R2

Fri 10 Aug Dundalk v Cobh Ramblers
Fri 17 Aug Bray Wanderers v Dundalk
Mon 20 Aug Sligo Rovers v Dundalk
Fri 24 Aug FAI Cup R2
Tue 28 Aug Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers
Fri 31 Aug Limerick v Dundalk
Fri 7 Sep FAI Cup QF
Fri 14 Sep FREE
Fri 21 Sep Cork City v Dundalk
Sun 30 Sep FAI Cup SF
Fri 5 Oct Dundalk v St Patrick's Ath.
Fri 12 Oct Waterford v Dundalk
Fri 19 Oct Dundalk v Sligo Rovers
Fri 26 Oct Bohemians v Dundalk

Still to be refixed:

Dundalk v Derry City
St Patrick's Athletic v Dundalk LSC SF
Last edited by oldfogey on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:50 pm

It is good that the Sligo and Shamrocks matches have both been refixed for August. How the league table looks on Sept 21 prior to meeting Cork will be important and hopefully we can extract full points from these games-in-hand
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby oldfogey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Ezeikial wrote:It is good that the Sligo and Shamrocks matches have both been refixed for August. How the league table looks on Sept 21 prior to meeting Cork will be important and hopefully we can extract full points from these games-in-hand


I agree, but with the Derry game now pushed out, we can't afford to drop more points than Cork between now and then if we hope to stay on top.

The one good thing about this round compared to R2 is that - with the Cup SF - there are 3 weeks between Cork and Waterford away. Last time it was successive Fridays, with Pats sandwiched in between. These were our only 2 losses and extremely costly in terms of injuries, Stephen O'Donnell and Sean Gannon.


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: El Paso, Ezeikial, ruckyhill and 9 guests