2018 Season - Fixtures

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby mike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Nice one and both games on RTE also, even better.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm

mike wrote:Nice one and both games on RTE also, even better.

I don't think the home game to rovers being on tv is such a great idea. Will greatly effect the attendance imho Mike.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:40 pm

I`m not so sure Niall, I think previous big games live on tv had decent crowds, now if it rains badly a lot of 'walk ups' might change their mind for the Rovers game, but should still be a good turn out.

I suppose I was thinking of recording the Rovers game and being able to watch the Cork one live, as I don't have EIR Sports, but I would have found somewhere to watch the Cork one.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 pm

I agree with niall. Games on rte do affect us. Eir not much so.

BTW I thought the 8pm ko time last week was perfect
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Dundalk FC captain Stephen O'Donnell questions 'logic' behind league's fixture schedule
THE GALWEGIAN ASKS IF THE FAI HAVE MUCH 'GRÁ' FOR THE LEAGUE OF IRELAND

Dundalk FC captain Stephen O’Donnell has questioned the FAI’s “grá” for the League of Ireland following criticism of the current, relentless fixture schedule.

The Lilywhites are in the midst of playing 12 times in just 42 days and O’Donnell, who started his first league game of the season against Derry City on Friday night, has questioned the thinking behind the glut of games

“It seems very lob-sided,” the Galwegian told RTÉ Radio One's Saturday Sport programme.

“I think we have 24 league games before the break and then 12 after the break so, I don't know, the FAI must be expecting some Irish clubs to go on a hell of a run in Europe or something.”

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/soc ... edule.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Although Waterford and Derry are still in contention, It is interesting to look at the fixtures that both Cork and Dundalk have between now and the league break on 15 June. Cork will have played their game-in-hand by then (against Derry at home on 4 June) and the first match after the league resumes is Dundalk V Cork at Oriel Park on 29 June

By then both teams will have played Waterford at home and both face Derry, although Cork play them at Turners Cross. We also face Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght.

On balance we probably have the trickier schedule, but if we can consistently re-produce the sort of performance we saw against Derry last Monday, there is little doubt in my mind that we will be in the driving seat come the mid-season break

Cork City
Bray (H) – 18/05
Limerick (A) – 21/05
St Pats (A) – 25/05
Waterford (H) – 01/06
Derry City (H) – 04/06
Sligo Rovers (A) – 09/06
Bohs (H) – 15/06

Dundalk
Bohs (A) – 18/05
Waterford (H) – 21/05
Bray (H) – 25/05
Shamrock Rovers (A) – 01/06
Limerick (H) – 08/06
Derry City (A) – 15/06
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am

The Cork of last year (first half anyway) would feel confident of all 6 matches with an 18 point return, It is possible with probably their toughest opponents in this phase at home. I would certainly expect them to claim the next 6 points on offer which makes tomorrows match vital to keep momentum.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 pm

When you look at Corks recent results it is noticeable how they are scraping out results that they won easily in the first half of last season:

0-0 Derry A
2-1 Limerick H
0-3 Shamrock Rovers A
1-0 Dundalk H
2-0 Bohs A
1-0 Sligo H
1-0 St Pats H
1-2 Waterford A

They have shown remarkable character and resilience in pulling off single goal wins in many of those games, but are clearly riding their luck - that usually runs out at some point.

While it is interesting to look at the respective fixtures ahead of next meeting at Oriel on 29 June, the truth is that we only need to focus on ourselves. If we can maintain the form shown last Monday, Corks results will become almost irrelevant

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm

I think that’s the important point above, we only need to focus on ourselves. Someone made point a week or so about the amount of fans in the stand constantly checking other teams results, and it does happen, we win our own games, we won’t need to pay too much attention to other results.

I wonder what the points gap was this time last year or with the same games played, it must have been 15 or so as didn’t Cork go 18 clear when they beat us in June?

On the fixtures for both pre break, seems crazy we are away to Derry again, and obviously Rovers away before will be tough, one game that stands out for me for Cork is away to improving Pats, that could be very tricky for them.

However before all of this, the next most important game for us is tomorrow night, we need to keep the momentum going with a win.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 pm

mike wrote:On the fixtures for both pre break, seems crazy we are away to Derry again

It's a bit odd playing up there twice in a month alright, but it's all down to the original fixture being postponed twice - first the Beast from the East and then Derry having U21 call-ups.

At least Cork also had their game against them postponed because of the U21s, so we've played the same number of games since, until this week anyway.

Hopefully now we can keep our noses in front and ideally edge further ahead before they play their game in hand at home to Derry on 4 June.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I see the away game in Limerick has been moved from Saturday 1st September to Friday 31st August

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 pm

oldfogey wrote:I see the away game in Limerick has been moved from Saturday 1st September to Friday 31st August

I see that the 2nd leg of the Europa League Group Play-off round is scheduled for 30 August. Hopefully that Limerick game will get switched again!

Return to “General Discussion”