2018 Season - Fixtures

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Louth4sam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am

Sneachta wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:I totally disagree lads. The league should be our main concern and i think after playing thursday we should not have to play sunday and thursday. We need to prepare properly for this game. We are only 4 points ahead...if we were 6 or 7 I'd say play it but not with the gap at 4.
Stephen Kenny would probably disagree with yourself. In one of his recent interviews he postulated, should a we be aiming for games in Europe to be the most important? Or winning the league as being the pinnacle which on the grand scale of things is on a much smaller scale.....to paraphrase.....he feels we should be aiming higher and European runs will live longer in the memories of fans and players than league championships.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

League is by far more important. We would be seeded in the first round of Champions league next year should we win the league. Win that game and we earn €1.1M at a minimum. We won't have that opportunity unless we win the league

"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Wexford White » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am

On the other hand, winning the Europa League guarantees entry into the Champions League..............
The Back of the Wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Season - Fixtures

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:I totally disagree lads. The league should be our main concern and i think after playing thursday we should not have to play sunday and thursday. We need to prepare properly for this game. We are only 4 points ahead...if we were 6 or 7 I'd say play it but not with the gap at 4.
Stephen Kenny would probably disagree with yourself. In one of his recent interviews he postulated, should a we be aiming for games in Europe to be the most important? Or winning the league as being the pinnacle which on the grand scale of things is on a much smaller scale.....to paraphrase.....he feels we should be aiming higher and European runs will live longer in the memories of fans and players than league championships.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

League is by far more important. We would be seeded in the first round of Champions league next year should we win the league. Win that game and we earn €1.1M at a minimum. We won't have that opportunity unless we win the league

I agree that the league is vital - that's why I advocate playing Sligo on Sunday
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Ezeikial that gives us 1 day to prepare for sligo. Who knows we could end up in extra time thursday? And then either way Friday is a recovery rest day and then prepare and or travel to sligo on Saturday for game on Sunday. Yes we have a big squad but we can't make wholesale changes to the starting 11. Ok we can but you dont always get the fluid performance we want. Complacency is setting in amongst some fans because we are 4 point clear. That is nothing lads. We drop points to Sligo and it is back in Cork's hands again. The league is what is important.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Ezeikial that gives us 1 day to prepare for sligo. Who knows we could end up in extra time thursday? And then either way Friday is a recovery rest day and then prepare and or travel to sligo on Saturday for game on Sunday. Yes we have a big squad but we can't make wholesale changes to the starting 11. Ok we can but you dont always get the fluid performance we want. Complacency is setting in amongst some fans because we are 4 point clear. That is nothing lads. We drop points to Sligo and it is back in Cork's hands again. The league is what is important.

You seem to have missed the point.

If we progress in Europe, fixture congestion will dictate that we have little preparation time between matches and may hamper our league winning chances.

Between two home euro fixtures is a good time to get one of these played
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

If we win on Thursday the sligo game wont be played this weekend.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 am

http://www.sligorovers.com/news/18/jul/ ... stponement

Sligo refused requests to postpone the upcoming game. Forced to do so by the FAI/league. There is a massive division being created between the sides in Europe and those not. We are obviously benefiting from this currently. But that won't always be the case.
We have about 24 players in our squad. The game should have went ahead.

Maybe there is scope for compensation from European participants to the clubs who are losing out on gate receipts. Do we want a fair and equitable league?

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:http://www.sligorovers.com/news/18/jul/club-statement-fixture-postponement

Sligo refused requests to postpone the upcoming game. Forced to do so by the FAI/league. There is a massive division being created between the sides in Europe and those not. We are obviously benefiting from this currently. But that won't always be the case.
We have about 24 players in our squad. The game should have went ahead.

Maybe there is scope for compensation from European participants to the clubs who are losing out on gate receipts. Do we want a fair and equitable league?

I agree with your last point but it is not Dundalk's fault that Sligo have had no home game in 11 weeks. Besides the 2 week break what are the other reasons for this.

Also as well we are not doing a Cork in getting their Waterford game postponed and plugging in a Burley friendly in its absence like last Saturday.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:We have about 24 players in our squad. The game should have went ahead.

We've only one manager, one first team coach etc.

Their time is better used preparing the players to play a team they've never played before. The level of preparation that goes in to European games is vastly higher than domestic games. Video analysis, intense individual coaching of opposition strengths, weaknesses etc.

I can understand Sligo complaining about an 11 week gap but that is an issue larger than one postponed game.

I would be surprised if Sligo did not benefit from postponed league games when they competed in Europe.

What goes around...

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 am

Sligo saw the fixture list. They were not compelled to switch both their home fixtures to accommodate derry. They freely made that decision. So the fact they have have had no home fixture for 11 weeks cant be down to us...

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 am

The reason Sligo and others habe such a large gap is because 2/3 of the fixtures were crammed into the first half of the season, to benefit the teams in Europe, who are already benefitting from ever increasing prize money.

I guess the question is whether we are happy with a 'what goes around comes around' in which case the next time we are on our knees financially we can have no complaints about re-fixed games and loss of revenue, or if we, as a league, prefer a more balanced approach where those already benefitting from euro money, utilise their much bigger squads to play the games, or use their much bigger income to compensate the clubs losing out.

Our league can't exist where 6/10 participants are one postponed game away from bankruptcy or missing player wages. Short memories it seems

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

It's dog eat dog in the league, and always has been.

The nature of sport is competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:The reason Sligo and others habe such a large gap is because 2/3 of the fixtures were crammed into the first half of the season, to benefit the teams in Europe, who are already benefitting from ever increasing prize money.

I guess the question is whether we are happy with a 'what goes around comes around' in which case the next time we are on our knees financially we can have no complaints about re-fixed games and loss of revenue, or if we, as a league, prefer a more balanced approach where those already benefitting from euro money, utilise their much bigger squads to play the games, or use their much bigger income to compensate the clubs losing out.

Our league can't exist where 6/10 participants are one postponed game away from bankruptcy or missing player wages. Short memories it seems

I disagree with White horse's assessment that its a dog eat dog world and Sligo should either suck it up and get on with it. I do have sympathy from Sligo and compensation should be provided by the league for potential loss of earnings.

Lets looks at Sligo's fixtures since the 30th June, their last home game
Sat 30th Waterford Home 2 - 3

July 2018
Sun 8th Bray Wanderers Away 2 - 1
Fri 13th Bohemians Away 0 - 3
Fri 27th Shamrock Rovers Away 20:00

August 2018
Fri 3rd Derry City Away 19:45
Mon 6th Derry City Home TBC EA Sports cup
Fri 10th FAI Cup TBC (Home Longford)
Fri 17th Limerick Away 19:45
Fri 24th FAI Cup TBC
Fri 31st Cork City Away 19:45

How the fixtures line for them that they have back to back away games prior to 21st July and after is not Dundalk's fault. Their fixture schedule is ridiculous and is an issue with the FAI or the computer machine.

The option was given to the club to postpone the game and they obliged.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:27 pm

They didnt oblige johnny. Sligo refused and the fai enforced the postponement. Bottom line is they moved their home fixtures with derry to accommodate the brandywell revamp. So those 2 weeks plus 2 week break and this postponement accounts for 5 weeks. The rest is at the hands of the fai who set their fixtures for the season. It's not as if it is a bombshell that this fixture would be moved.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:25 am

Bohs home game shifted to Sunday 29th at 7pm. (separate thread started)

Rovers game on Friday 3rd August is also definitely gone as the EA Sports Cup semi-final away to Cobh Ramblers remains on Monday 6th. Kick-off there is 5pm with ETP if necessary.

List for future midweek (re)scheduling currently stands at

Sligo Rovers (A)
Shamrock Rovers (H)
St Patrick's Athletic (A) LSC SF

Possible addition

Derry City (H) - currently 14 Sep but dependant on EA Sports Cup SF result.

I'm not going to tempt fate by looking beyond the Larnaca games.

Return to “General Discussion”