UEFA Europa League 2018-19

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: UEFA Europa League 2018-19

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Holy crap

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm reminded tonight just what we achieved in 2016. I don't think even we ourselves fully grasp it. It wasn't just that we had a great manager and 11 very good players, we had players that complemented each other perfectly, so that the team was so much more than the sum of the players. Losing Horgan was always likely but can't help wonder what might have been if Finn and Boyle had stayed.

Imagine a team
Rogers-Gannon-Hoare-Boyle-Massey-Shields-Finn-McEleney-McGrath-Duffy-Hoban
this year...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 pm

El Paso wrote:I'm reminded tonight just what we achieved in 2016. I don't think even we ourselves fully grasp it. It wasn't just that we had a great manager and 11 very good players, we had players that complemented each other perfectly, so that the team was so much more than the sum of the players. Losing Horgan was always likely but can't help wonder what might have been if Finn and Boyle had stayed.

Imagine a team
this year...

That would be a fantastic team
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 am

Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:I'm reminded tonight just what we achieved in 2016. I don't think even we ourselves fully grasp it. It wasn't just that we had a great manager and 11 very good players, we had players that complemented each other perfectly, so that the team was so much more than the sum of the players. Losing Horgan was always likely but can't help wonder what might have been if Finn and Boyle had stayed.

Imagine a team
this year...

We would tear it apart with that team. By default are we saying the 3 players we need an upgrade on are Gartland, Benson and Connolly in the first 11? Can Cleary become as good as Boyle? And from players within the league McAnuff and Sadlier for the other two positions?

Davy Mc or Hoban?

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 am

That's mad. Was just thinking of sadlier. Caulfield hasn't a clue how to utilise him and did not give him as chance in any of the European games. If he is unhappy at the end of the season, he should be a direct replacement for Connolly. If we could get him that is.

I also think cleary is the making of a quality defender if he can keep his cool. He was very good in Europe but was made look desperate (like most of the team) against Larnaca because of the covering he had to do for both his full backs.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 am

Some interesting results last night... Cork well beaten in all honesty, not helped by McNulty having a 'mare.... AEK won 2-0 in Austria at Sturm Graz... Zenit hammered 4-0 by Dinamo Minsk (who scraped past Derry).... Legia beaten 2-1 at home by Dudelange from Luxembourg!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Imagine a team
this year...

We would tear it apart with that team. By default are we saying the 3 players we need an upgrade on are Gartland, Benson and Connolly in the first 11? Can Cleary become as good as Boyle? And from players within the league McAnuff and Sadlier for the other two positions?

Davy Mc or Hoban?

Davy Mc or Hoban! Either. Different, but excellent. Start one and if it’s not working put in the other. Naturally alters the movement of the attacking 3, confusing defenders.

Only left Garts out because of his errors on the ball in Europe and how he struggles in behind. But he’s excellent in LOI. I’d take McEneff to replace Benson, who’s likely to go at the end of the season. Sadlier to replace Duffy would be some coup!

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm

El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Davy Mc or Hoban?

Davy Mc or Hoban! Either. Different, but excellent. Start one and if it’s not working put in the other. Naturally alters the movement of the attacking 3, confusing defenders.

Only left Garts out because of his errors on the ball in Europe and how he struggles in behind. But he’s excellent in LOI. I’d take McEneff to replace Benson, who’s likely to go at the end of the season. Sadlier to replace Duffy would be some coup!

better still keep Duffy and get Sadlier to replace Connolly

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:03 am

I can't see Duffy getting any transfer move. The club should try their best to keep him because he is nowhere near championship level. If the money is right he'll go to league one. But I cannot see him setting it alight.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:06 pm

5-0 aggregate lead for Larnaca. Will follow these lads if they go any further in the competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 pm

7-0 on aggregate.

Fair play to them, and I think they're a lot better than people were suggesting in advance of our tie.

But that feels like a bit of a missed opportunity for us all the same. Trencin, who they are likely to play in the next round, look like a pretty small club - similar sized ground and a town only a bit bigger than Dundalk.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:41 pm

El Paso wrote:7-0 on aggregate.

Fair play to them, and I think they're a lot better than people were suggesting in advance of our tie.

But that feels like a bit of a missed opportunity for us all the same. Trencin, who they are likely to play in the next round, look like a pretty small club - similar sized ground and a town only a bit bigger than Dundalk.

I’m not so sure it was a missed opportunity. We were well bet by a much better side. And with tonight’s result, have proved that they are a lot better than we thought they would be when we were both pulled out of the hat.
Having said that, I do get your point, we would’ve had a decent chance against Trencin.
King Kenny!

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 pm

It was a missed opportunity at home for sure. If we had have scored in Oriel and we could've (so could they) it would have given us a shout. Still don't think it would have been enough.

And zenit all level with Minsk. Felt like that one was always going to happen. Trencin have been around qualifying rounds for a while and close on a few occasions but look to have pulled off I've of the biggest results for them.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Hibs well and truly thumped in Norway. Daryl Horgan not even on the bench.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Sneachta wrote:Hibs well and truly thumped in Norway. Daryl Horgan not even on the bench.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using

Tapatalk

Horgan couldn’t play as he wasn’t signed for the first leg.
King Kenny!

Return to “General Discussion”