Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby grayzer75 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:44 pm

It’s still a wait and see situation, this season will be transitional and hopefully by the end of it we will see firmer plans start to develop for modest infrastructure improvements. From a football point of view we need to hit the ground running this season and no better way to start than next Sunday. SK seems to be happy enough with what’s happening and most of us trust him 100% so that allays some apprehensions regarding the new ownership.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 pm

It’s bulldozers we need.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Malachy Brannigan used the term "executive decision" when he spoke about player recruitment. This is probably jargon for meaning he has the final decision. This has the potential to drive Stephen Kenny out of the club if this relationship does not work. One of his proven skills is in recruiting the right players and he should have complete autonomy to do this within a budget
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bogger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:26 pm

I can’t understand why most people here are expecting a new stadium or massive upgrades in oriel park at this time.. we were on the brink 5/6 years ago .. had 1 great year in Europe , last year we were knocked out of champions league qualifiers in our first match... these guys are investors and are here to make money.. can only make money by getting to Europe regularly Rosenberg who are a good team in Europe for many years and we scared the shite out of them nearly beat them.. prob were a player or 2 short of beating them... so get the squad right qualify for Europe again and take it from there.... I couldn’t care if I had to drive to dublin to see the lilywhites in Europe .. bate game was one of the best nights of my life ... course be brilliant if it was in oriel... some day it just might be ... but these need to see it happening again and make sure our European adventure wasn’t a once off..
Shelbourbe , Drogheda and shamrocks rovers all had good runs before and never followed up

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 pm

saw the meeting via you tube. Overall it was a good exercise to put faces to their names. Their output was always going to be vague in nature.

few points I picked up on is the relationship between Mal Brannigan and Stephen Kenny is going to be pivotal to its success. everyone is different so an environment where Kenny dealt with Connolly or Browne may not necessarily work this time round. It will be very interesting to watch over the next month or so.

encouraging to hear their investment in an academy and ladies football also (the girls always get a rough deal).

they had referenced using their connections internationally in acquiring the best talent available. I really hope we can utilise and learn that knowledge for if the time comes when they leave us that we can use.

I wasn't surprised about new7.5k seater oriel park. Actually I don't remember anybody in any authority in the club or closely associated with the club referencing this.

overall the main plus for me is that we no longer have faceless investors but we are still none the wiser as to their proper intentions, ( we probably wont know until its too late anyway).

it also hasn't changed my opinion on this deal and ultimately I believe in the long run will be the detriment to the club.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

cob655
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cob655 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm

To be honest, the interview went much as I expected. Concentrate on the football end of things first and following success on this front then look at making structural improvements.

I’d imagine small improvements will be made to Oriel Park to improve the match day experience in the short term (that puddle on the way to the shed) but due to the Casey family holding the lease I wouldn’t imagine a large investment will be put into Oriel Park unless from a solely youth development perspective.

It would make more financial sense to build on from (hopefully) future national and European success by investing in a new build on a green field site in which they would own the lease 100%, therefore increasing the value of the club to the investors.

Oriel park could then be used for youth development, Girls football, training etc.
C'mon the town!!!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 pm

Bogger wrote:I can’t understand why most people here are expecting a new stadium or massive upgrades in oriel park at this time.. we were on the brink 5/6 years ago ..

Very few were expecting either new stadium or massive upgrades. But most would like to have heard a stronger commitment to upgrading the clearly inadequate facilities.

I suspect that ground development is no closer now than at any point in the recent past
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Conroy
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Conroy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 am

First all of, fair play to the group for coming and meeting the fans, it's there club now and they had no need to do.

Although it seemed to me like a missed opportunity to me to ask the owners so further questions. What is to change off the pitch? Will any admin full time staff be brought in? Questions like how do they see themselves getting a ROI if success in Europe doesn't come. Alot of the questions from the floor were tributes to Paul, Andy and SK.

Noone is expecting the group to revel grand plans last night but I was left slightly underwhelmed and nervous from the outing. Jordan heart seems to be in the right place and he seems like a nice bloke with a good business background. The others we know nothing of, nor have we s right to know them.

The relationship of SK and Mal Brannigan will be key, when Mal was answering questions on player recruitment and success it was interesting to note SK reaction. Mal referenced the need to take the title back from Cork next season, something we all want but and addressed Stephen after answering it. A few bad results and it could be a heated relationship without the social connection SK had with the previous owner's.

Time will tell and it's the first interaction with fans, I am be in the minority here but overall I'm slightly more nervous after the meeting although I'm naturally pessimistic.

On a positive note, that bloody puddle appears to have seen it last days in Oriel Park. Something I raised and emailed the club about in 2014, Finally!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am

The investment on the playing side of things seems secure over the short and medium term, however it was clear from last night they are not prioritising much in terms of ground improvements, and that was a disappointing but not unexpected to hear. They did mention a few things like looking at the away end, and putting up a temp stand for euro matches (I think I heard this), if they do you have to apply weeks before you know your draw, plus it can only go into an area that has a solid base, so the only spot is where it was erected previously, carrick road goal. It won’t alter too much in terms of what we can host, as I think the same rules will apply, only 2 rounds, then off to Tallaght if required.

Its only the start of the new set up, and maybe they will announce plans for the ground over time, but it would have been nice to hear something more firm in this area last night, especially as there was a stark reminder, if we needed one from Neil O’Riordan who wrote an interesting article in the Irish Sun on Saturday. He was making the point about Bohs announcing their opener was a sell out, but only 3,600 could attend due to h+s. Then he listed the grounds in order of facilities and how good and bad they were, we came 9th from the 10 PD grounds, which wouldn’t surprise anyone, but it would have been 10th had Galway stayed up in place of Bray.

SK seems very enthusiastic, but he would have to be in front of new owners, hopefully he has been given some assurances and a little bit more than what was offered last night about ‘gradual improvements’

EDIT: Good to hear about the puddle gate being sorted (reserving judgement though until the rains come !)

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 am

"You can say that Dundalk is a small football club, or you can actually say that it's a European football club that's competing in Ireland and we want it to be a football club that plays constant European football, year-in, year-out. That's the ambition".
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/nat ... ccess.html

Mal Brannigan lays out the strategy very clearly in the above comment. A new stadium does not help to achieve that objective. In fact, it would divert finds from making it happen.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am

Not sure what to make of last night, not really any wiser than before.

I did find Fred Spencers comments along the lines of "if there's not a successful team on the pitch then there's nothing after that" a bit worrying.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am

Is there any evidence to suggest we are in a better position now than 12 months ago?

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am

Recording of last nights meeting from dundalk sport.

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/3945 ... h-2018.m4a

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

Ezeikial wrote:Is there any evidence to suggest we are in a better position now than 12 months ago?

Do you mean off the pitch or on the pitch?

From a supporters pov we are in a very precarious position with no supporters club or movement established to help assist or to be a line of communication to our new owners

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am

Shoco wrote:Not sure what to make of last night, not really any wiser than before.

I did find Fred Spencers comments along the lines of "if there's not a successful team on the pitch then there's nothing after that" a bit worrying.

Unfortunately YouTube kept freezing so I missed some of what was said. I did find that a lot of the replies were merely paying lip service. From a PR point of view the answer to the first question about the ground should have been "looking to make some immediate improvements (puddlegate), major project to (re)build, acknowledge we are the bottom of list of grounds bar Bray, not suitable for UEFA football" etc. For goodness sake the shortcomings are OFF the pitch, not on it. Since Stephen Kenny took over we have finished in the top two every year. They are taking over a successful business, not a lame duck. Fred just rolled out a stock answer in the most condescending way. They can talk all they want about how impressed they are with the passion of the supporters and the support of the town. None of them has the faintest idea what we went through the year before the takeover. If they did they would have been a bit more genuine.

Reading between the lines,I suspect team prize money from Europe will pay for the capital investment required, not the owners. Perhaps they won't invest because they don't really believe. If they do pull out we won't be worse off, we just won't have moved forward. Privately SK won't be happy. He has hinted in the past that possible signings were put off by the poor facilities.

The only thing worth listening to last night was Stephen Kenny's extremely passionate speech.

Return to “General Discussion”