Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm

This is better than a Noel Coward farce.

People complain endlessly about wanting

- long term player contracts
- a new stadium
- becoming more professional off the field

Now it's come along, it seems they don't want it.

The current owners took a club on the verge of collapse and turned into the most recognised LOI name in European football. The assumption that the new owners (who built their own business from nothing) can't take that brand - complete with top class management and squad - to the next level is disengenuous and, quite frankly, smacks of negativity for it's own sake.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Well , as Oddball said in "Kelly's Heroes", "Don't give me those negative waves". Looking forward to Oriel been demolished , and new Stadium built. Optimistic , to say the least. We are coming from a standing start , without a pot to p--s in.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 am

oldfogey wrote:People complain endlessly about wanting

- a new stadium

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Looking forward to Oriel been demolished , and new Stadium built.

A new stadium would be fantastic - has anyone actually promised that?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 am

Sneachta wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:New MD to be appointed, from the UK. I wonder what role Martin Connolly will take up for the transition period.
This is the sort of rumours that shouldn't be leaked if you are in the know. Its irresponsible to speculate if you are an individual in the know, especially when the two current owners themselves are saying dam all as the deal supposedly is imminent.

I am an ordinary fan and in no way 'in the know'. Never have been and unlikely that I ever will be....but i hardly think my statement above constitutes a 'leak'.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby Sneachta » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:08 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:New MD to be appointed, from the UK. I wonder what role Martin Connolly will take up for the transition period.
This is the sort of rumours that shouldn't be leaked if you are in the know. Its irresponsible to speculate if you are an individual in the know, especially when the two current owners themselves are saying dam all as the deal supposedly is imminent.

I am an ordinary fan and in no way 'in the know'. Never have been and unlikely that I ever will be....but i hardly think my statement above constitutes a 'leak'.
You state it as fact though. Too many people know too much about everything and nothing in Dundalk.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:57 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:

To anyone not familiar with how a business is structured, your statement implies that people are being misled. Martin Connolly has never been a Director (Managing or otherwise) of Dundalk Town, the company which owns and operates Dundalk FC. The only Directors are Paul Brown and Andy Connolly. It is highly likely that Peak6 would form a new legal entity to run the club and that company would have its own board and a managing director. It is considered best practice to retain key staff either permanently or at least until the new owners understand how the club is run. Such retention is often a key component in the sale agreement, hence the statement about Martin staying on.

It's fairly obvious that you are dead set against this deal and are trying create a groundswell of negative opinion, the question is why. What is so wrong with the possibility of a stronger and better run club?

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am

oldfogey wrote:This is better than a Noel Coward farce.

People complain endlessly about wanting

- a new stadium

The current owners took a club on the verge of collapse and turned into the most recognised LOI name in European football. The assumption that the new owners (who built their own business from nothing) can't take that brand - complete with top class management and squad - to the next level is disengenuous and, quite frankly, smacks of negativity for it's own sake.

In every debate about such matters, there is a fine line between concern and negativity, and between optimism and complacency.

In debates people tend to lurch, and be pushed, into extreme positions. Then it inevitably end ups in a slanging match as neither side was to be seen to lose the debate.

I am in two minds about the takeover. I feel optimism, but I also feel concern for the long term future of the club with new owners whose sole interest in the club is profit.

My personal character naturally tends to caution, which is why the negative aspects speak louder to me.
Last edited by White Horse on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 am

Ezeikial wrote:
oldfogey wrote:People complain endlessly about wanting

- a new stadium

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Looking forward to Oriel been demolished , and new Stadium built.

A new stadium would be fantastic - has anyone actually promised that?

To be fair JBG made that post after mine. Seriously, nobody has promised anything, we are just hoping and anticipating, just like we did when Andy and Paul took over and again when Stephen Kenny was signed.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 am

Sneachta wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:This is the sort of rumours that shouldn't be leaked if you are in the know. Its irresponsible to speculate if you are an individual in the know, especially when the two current owners themselves are saying dam all as the deal supposedly is imminent.

You state it as fact though. Too many people know too much about everything and nothing in Dundalk.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Look, ultimately leaks come from the very top, so your issue should be with those people. If an ordinary fan like myself has been hearing about a possible sale for 6-9 months, its hardly my fault. I'm not standing outside the boardroom with my ear pressed up against the door.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am

oldfogey wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:This is the sort of rumours that shouldn't be leaked if you are in the know. Its irresponsible to speculate if you are an individual in the know, especially when the two current owners themselves are saying dam all as the deal supposedly is imminent.

To anyone not familiar with how a business is structured, your statement implies that people are being misled. Martin Connolly has never been a Director (Managing or otherwise) of Dundalk Town, the company which owns and operates Dundalk FC. The only Directors are Paul Brown and Andy Connolly. It is highly likely that Peak6 would form a new legal entity to run the club and that company would have its own board and a managing director. It is considered best practice to retain key staff either permanently or at least until the new owners understand how the club is run. Such retention is often a key component in the sale agreement, hence the statement about Martin staying on.

It's fairly obvious that you are dead set against this deal and are trying create a groundswell of negative opinion, the question is why. What is so wrong with the possibility of a stronger and better run club?

I'm not dead set against anything, but I'm glad potential issues are at least being discussed.
I at no time suggested anything about Martin Connollys previous position at the club, or that people are being misled. You have read, incorrectly, between the lines there.

Less of the personal attacks please. The hyperbole has come from yourself. If you don't wish to discuss it with me, ignore my posts, or you can hide me completely

I have been dealing with companies like Peak6 for a dozen years. I have no idea what a former options trader from Chicago wants with Dundalk FC.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 am

oldfogey wrote:It's fairly obvious that you are dead set against this deal and are trying create a groundswell of negative opinion, the question is why. What is so wrong with the possibility of a stronger and better run club?

oldfogey, I have enormous respect for you and I know that you have demonstrated remarkable commitment to the club in your actions over the years.

But I think that you may be unnecessarily polarising this discussion - I have not seen a single post that is "dead set against this deal". I think caution and scepticism should be encouraged not shouted down. White Horse's post is worth reading again.

This could turn out to be the best thing ever or could be an unmitigated disaster - I retain an open mind and hope others do also
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 am

OHare wrote:[b]First toughts on this are:

4. Why would they pump Millions into Oriel Park when they wont own the Lease to the ground as its in the Casey family name. Has plans the current owners had for the redevelopment been shelved now that they are selling up.

This assumes that the Casey family wouldn't sell up. Dangerous assumption in my opinion.

We are also assuming Oriel Park will be revamped - I think the green field option is more likely with new owners.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 am

Chill boys, let's see what happens , here. Santy could come, early.

liamos
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby liamos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 am

Brother in law lives in Bournemouth . I asked him does he know anything about the American consortium which bought 25% of Bournemouth FC. He said it was working out fine with no problems ( the club is owned by a Russian) and everyone lives / works together happily.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby superman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I hope the new owners state exactly why they are taking over a league of Ireland club. Do they plan it to be farm club, or are they expecting constant European success?

After all the burnt clubs in the past, its right to be skeptical, as others had to claw their clubs back from oblivion. Not only that, they are also buying a huge part of the public interest in the town. I think we have a right to know.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Return to “General Discussion”