Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm

When is the Press Conference / Announcement.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:52 pm

My two-cents:

The current owners rescued this club. Not the fans, not the Trust, not anyone else. We have the club we have and not some afterthought buried in Division 1 with some clown managing a bunch of disinterested journeymen because of *them* and only them.

The best years of my football supporting life have been the last five. I was in floods of tears in Alkmaar and again watching Robbie Benson burst the net in Warsaw in a packed pub normally full of eggchasers. I don't care how much money they make from any sale - they've earned every cent. And while I'd love to know more about what is happening, I accept that there is no obligation on them to tell me or anyone else anything - legally they can't anyway if Peak6 are listed, the stock exchange has to be told first.

I have my concerns about what type of takeover it is, how easy it will be for any new owners to break promises and to walk and let the club go to the wall. I'm really nervous about it, actually. All I can do is hope that two men who put their own money at risk to save the club have done their due diligence and are confident that these guys are the real deal and not a bunch of chancers. Maybe they have first refusal on buying it back!

But the reality is that if we ever want to progress further as a club we need massively improved facilities - not just the ground but player development, scouting, match preparation and all the rest. We also need to be able to afford staff - the Europa League nearly broke the lads and ladies who volunteer with the club.

The current owners have hit a glass ceiling in that regard - outside investment is a necessity, or we'll fall back into the pack sooner or later. Probably as soon as Kenny decides he's hit a glass ceiling too.

Shels, Drogs and Bohs were all property plays. This is about sport. Arkaga is the obvious parallel but to be honest I don't think it's fair to lump Peak6, whose business dealings are transparent as far as these things go, in with Arkaga who most people still know eff all about and who were up to all kinds of shady shít at the same time as the Cork stuff - including attempting to buy ICG ferry group as part of a consortium!

Arkaga eventually became "ARKAGA HEALTHCARE & TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS LIMITED", never submitted accounts after January 2008 and dissolved in 2016.

And I can see the attraction - we are already pretty much top of the pile and we should qualify for Europe for the next five years minimum, probably longer, on a modest budget. Not many clubs you could buy for a few million in Europe that you could say that about.

So I'm for it - with reservations.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Excellent post EP, and one that echoes almost everything I feel at the min and preach. A few reservations but my main worry will be when the plug is pulled. Be it in 2,5 or 20 years time, who will be here to pick up the pieces. Remember, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, no one wanted to invest 5 years ago apart from Paul, Andy and Ciaran.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 pm

bigalan wrote:Excellent post EP, and one that echoes almost everything I feel at the min and preach. A few reservations but my main worry will be when the plug is pulled. Be it in 2,5 or 20 years time, who will be here to pick up the pieces. Remember, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, no one wanted to invest 5 years ago apart from Paul, Andy and Ciaran.

Taking that point it's worth noting a couple of things.

-There's no fans group in place now proposing a counter-offer.
-When Des Denning created a fans shareholding group to buy the club it didn't get the numbers to be sustainable and it didn't last.
-The Trust wasn't in a position (afaik) to do what Paul, Andy and Ciaran did in 2012.

I don't think we have enough people with enough cash for a Trust to come to the rescue if it goes tits up, which does add to my fears.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Agreed, good post EP, one of the key points is probably around the current state we are in. The current owners have indeed done brilliant work in rescuing the club, then delivering Kenny and 3 leagues in a row. Simply outstanding work by everyone.

Maybe they have taken the club as far as they can, and the only way forward for us to progress to the next stage is for outside investment. It’s a valid point too on the skeleton staff that run the day to day, we have heard this so many times, and how they do all the work is admirable.

I always thought if we could get some sort of revenue being run out of the club in the hospitality scene that operates daily and merge this in with admin staff it could be a winner. The Derryhale hotel across the road was a huge loss to the area, if we could have something like a mini version of this within a newly developed ground offering bar and food facilities daily, maybe limited accommodation, that could be something to build in years to come not just for bigger matches/ Europe etc, but for the community. There were photos on social media last weekend of a group from Oriel who went over to AZ Alkmaar’s ground, must have been an invite, Paul B was there, and they were enjoying a meal and drinks, it looked just great, the corporate part they were in, the pitch in the background.

I`m not suggesting we should mirror that (will be far too expensive obviously) , but we can look at a smaller version, this is where medium size clubs increase their revenue, using the stadium when its idle and not just for matchday, currently most clubs are busy probably 2-3 days max on average every month and only during season. League 2 clubs in England have huge bookings for Sunday dinners etc, family events, not just the 21st, all do’s, no match is on, yet the place is buzzing, same for CL and International matches (on tv) that’s the model for us to follow, build something that will attract families, and get them into the habit of going (and spending) when there is no match on.

On the actual proposed takeover, I`m still cautious as probably most are, but I would also be open to see what the actual plans include. However as DFC is a private company, we may not see the terms of the takeover in any detail. If plans include redevelopment of the ground that would sound positive to me, but as has been suggested before, they could still achieve euro success by copying what we did in 2016 by renting Tallaght and the Aviva (if required), and may not be interested in making much improvements to the ground, instead they might want to revamp the set up within the club only and the business itself.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

To hell , with Talla /Aviva. This is all about a new modern Oriel Park.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:To hell , with Talla /Aviva. This is all about a new modern Oriel Park.

Agree with you.
These posts are all very interesting. I have read them all and I don't think there is anything more that I could add except to say that what I detect is cautious optimism..............and apprehension............
I do hope everything works out well for us. We deserve it.
The Back of the Wall

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Cork city fan here. I don't really understand the suggestion that being pessimistic about the takeover is somehow an insult to the lads in charge? Obviously the two lads have done a great job, and like Lennox with us are looking for outside investment as they don't feel they are in a position to support where the club needs to go. I'm sure they're likely doing so in good faith.

Lennox is a City legend, and absolutely no one holds the sale against him. He took us as far as he could, and he was convinced by a more shrewd businessman. He thought it was for the good of the club. He was wrong, unfortunately. He was one of the first foras members and is still a member, and a city legend.

I can't get my head around the posts which call any sort of reservations negative for the sake of it. You guys have no control, you need to hope for the best. I get that, we were there. But you absolutely have to start planning in case the best doesn't happen, be that in a few years or in a decade. It's hard work, but there are people in the country that can support you doing it. Get your trust up and running, get yourselves prepared to pick up the pieces if necessary. Please don't be the next LOI club to fall victim to people who don't care about the club.

You can't control this takeover, of course you should be cautiously optimistic and hope it all works out. But you absolutely can control whether ye're in a position to save your club it it doesn't. I wouldn't wish what happened to us on anyone. I'll never forget watching a 10 year old cry his eyes out on the way back from a Derry away game because we heard we were being wound up. He certainly wasn't the only one crying on the bus. Hopefully it won't come to it, but don't let yourselves be in that position.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Fair play Cork City Fan , good sensible stuff.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:48 am

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... 1?mode=amp

Emmet Malone also asking the right questions in the Irish Times
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Return to “General Discussion”