Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Post by Ezeikial » Tue May 05, 2020 5:59 pm

Ciaran Bond seems like a serene pacifist in comparison to Wild Bill
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Bill getting things out in the public. Same old FAI it seems....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4244862
Dundalk chairman Bill Hulsizer says that he stands over the comments made in an email sent to senior officials at other Airticity League clubs over the weekend but that he will only elaborate on charges made against the FAI once the recipients have had the opportunity to reply to what he describes as a “cry for help”.

Hulsizer, who succeeded Mike Treacy as the club’s chairman at the end of last year, is scathing in the email, which The Irish Times has seen.

“Dundalk FC and myself have been lied to, stolen from, insulted and disrespected by the FAI,” he says in an extraordinary attack. “I am sure many of you feel the same, and have suffered similar treatment. Thursday’s meeting has convinced me that the FAI are masters’ of spin and want everyone to focus on the future and forget about the past.

He goes on to describe “the FAI of the past,” as “a failed business model,” and contends that while John Delaney is universally held responsible, others, some of them still active and influential at the association, must take a share of the blame for some of the current failings.

Ultimately, he suggests that the tone of one of the league’s recent working group meetings and some of the documentation circulated after another; “indicates the FAI intends to treat the clubs of Ireland as subservient to the FAI.

“They [the FAI] have not earned nor do they deserve that right,” he says, adding that “We, Dundalk FC, are prepared to work with (not for) the FAI to promote the League of Ireland, or to challenge the FAI publicly in all the forums available (Fifa, Uefa, Irish Governmen and most importantly the Irish people).”

He concludes by asking owners of other clubs to support his position.

Contacted for a comment, Hulsizer said: “I will stand behind everything that I have said there I don’t think it is fair to my fellow club owners to say anything more until they have had a chance to consider the email.”

Behind closed doors, the American is said to have been repeatedly critical of the association in recent months and is understood to feel aggrieved, on behalf of his club, with regard to the way Stephen Kenny was hired by the FAI, the association’s much more recent interest in Ruairdhi Higgins and other aspects of the financial relationship between the two.

He appears to favour a complete break by clubs with the association and may well have been angered by an exchange at the working group meeting of April 23rd during which, according to the minutes: “It was clarified that the bottom line is the FAI would not agree in any circumstances that an independent structure will be set up to run the Premier Division commercially; it has to be seen as under the subsidiary of the FAI.”

Brand awareness
He also expresses irritation with regard to the early stages of the process to draw up a new participation agreement to replace one that was, during Delaney’s time in charge of the association, widely seen as an instrument for suppressing any criticism, or even questions, from clubs.

Privately, though, senior officials in the association’s current leadership have accepted that the old participation agreement was entirely unfair and the suggestion has been that there is a willingness to move towards something far more equitable, with the end of June mentioned as a target date.

Officials from some other clubs said yesterday that they believe the association’s representatives at the meetings have come across as sincere on this point and that the process seems to be progressing quite well.

Figures given to the meeting of the 23rd, meanwhile, suggest that the FAI has been making a profit of just under €300,000 on running the league with Uefa funding of 1.045 million, sponsorship of €375,000, television revenues of €341,000, Streaming income of €110,000 and €200,000 in fines more than enough to cover the cost of prize money, administration and other expenses. Delaney had always claimed the association subsidised the league and refused to allow the clubs see the figures.

The clubs have also been shown the results of market research which suggests significantly increased interest levels in the league –up by around 20 per cent since 2016 – with the senior club game here enjoying good brand awareness and a positive image among the population at large.

The association has committed to working with clubs on a number of fronts, including investment in stadiums and other facilities as well as commercial revenues and the development of the women’s and underage games.

Its own revenues seem increasingly likely to be further hit by the Covid-19 crisis, however, with growing doubts about the prospect of the Nations League games scheduled for the autumn going ahead and at the very least there seems very likely to be severe restrictions on attendances.

Interim CEO Gary Owens recently acknowledged that the three home games – against Finland, Wales and Bulgaria – are financially important to the FAI but in an interview with this newspaper in recent days, Dr Cillian De Gascun, a member of the National Public Health Emergency Team, was asked about whether he envisaged England and France being able to come to Dublin for international rugby matches next spring.

“In my own head, I would like to think the Six Nations can happen,” he said, “but I don’t see how at this point.”
I'm not really sure what he hopes to achieve with this rant. There is only one place the clubs are going to get money at the moment and that is via the FAI. That being the case I doubt he will find many clubs supporting him publicly. There is little in the way of specifics here but - with the exception of poaching Higgins - he seems to be raking up old coals relating to the previous regime, and from a time when he wasn't around either. Stephen Kenny's departure to the FAI was facilitated by the fact that he had an exit clause in his contract with Dundalk. It was either missed in due diligence, or not considered relevant. What SK had done for us was the reason Peak 6 looked at acquiring the club in the first place. Did nobody think he would be a target for a bigger job? It's also a bit of a backhanded insult at the current management. It's not as if we have struggled since Kenny left. Vinnie Perth won the league at a canter and we only missed the treble by one penalty.

Making enemies of people who were not originally involved in the Delaney era is not going to do the club any good. Much better to compain in a constructive way, instead of coming over all John Wayne. People have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute for less.
I think this was a shot fired towards a few of JD ould mates still in power at the FAI, LOI and sitting at the top of a certain Dublin club who backed JD for years at LOI level. Silence is deafening from that named Dublin club for many years when it comes to LOI matters......very seldom if ever a bad word said against the former dictator or for the good of the LOI as a whole. Only interested in their own interests

Talk on the block is that an investor at the LOI club mentioned above has employed JD at a company he owns in London.......

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue May 05, 2020 8:27 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 pm
I think this was a shot fired towards a few of JD ould mates still in power at the FAI, LOI and sitting at the top of a certain Dublin club who backed JD for years at LOI level. Silence is deafening from that named Dublin club for many years when it comes to LOI matters......very seldom if ever a bad word said against the former dictator or for the good of the LOI as a whole. Only interested in their own interests

Talk on the block is that an investor at the LOI club mentioned above has employed JD at a company he owns in London.......
Who are the few of JD ould mates you talk about. other than Fran Gavin?

You also regularly post negatively about people involved in an unnamed Dublin club without actually saying anything of substance.

Interesting that you are suggesting that Delaney has taken a job in London..............
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:27 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Who are the few of JD ould mates you talk about. other than Fran Gavin?

You also regularly post negatively about people involved in an unnamed Dublin club without actually saying anything of substance.

Interesting that you are suggesting that Delaney has taken a job in London..............
Fran Gavin, Joe McGlue, Rea Walshe, Cathal Dervan....the list goes on. All these people covered or ignored the sh1te JD was up to, none more than McGlue who has been exposed by fans as having claimed to have had mobiles hacked by members of the Garda, searched fans home and away for banners against JD........worked as JDs muscle and personal minder for years. Walshe was his inhouse legal advisor and today is still working for the FAI in a key role....Fran Gavin if the figures reported today are correct (dont forget they do not seem to include affiliation fees which would add some 100K per season), knew right well that the LOI was not making a loss and went along with JDs version. Also sold the LOI as the reason for no money being available to grassroots etc....this man is still in power....is that a New FAI??

It was reported at the time of the JD scandal breaking that the CEO of one of our rivals was very good friends with JD and would walk in and out of Abbotstown on a regular basis. This friendship resulted in the FAI opening deals for the club in question.....funding for their academy when money was not there, lobbying and support to ger a new a stadium and kit deals amongst others.

If I am informed correctly and I have no reason to doubt the source, certain members of the press are trying to confirm that JD is working for an investor of a LOI club. The same club who he looked after when in office.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:56 am

Bravo Bill. Maybe it was the approach or ‘way’ of approach for RH that was the last straw. Why should our board stay silent with regards to the FAI? LOI fans have been singing about it for years. Should we continue to stay silent like others did during the Delaney years?? Bill may know he has the financial muscle behind him in order to call things as he sees them and to stop taking shit.
The FAI make 200k from fines?? 100k for champions and Delaney said they financially propped up the league?? FFS Robert Mugabe would be ashamed

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Let them have it bill , we owe the FAI - zilch. On the contrary , it’s Dundalk FC. that’s got the League good press in recent years.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm

A few lads over on Ybig suggesting that this is the first move by Peak6 to have an excuse to get out......

muppet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by muppet » Thu May 07, 2020 11:50 am

Pepsi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm
A few lads over on Ybig suggesting that this is the first move by Peak6 to have an excuse to get out......
Why would they need to make an excuse though? If they want out then they’ll go. It’s not like they have ties to the town or even country that would mean there would be repercussions for them in other areas here.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 pm

muppet wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:50 am
Pepsi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Why would they need to make an excuse though? If they want out then they’ll go. It’s not like they have ties to the town or even country that would mean there would be repercussions for them in other areas here.
I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest....find it strange that fans of other clubs are more worried about Peak6 leaving than about the fact that the FAI having been shafting the LOI for years. Also find the silence of other LOI members, journalists etc. strange. It is a if they want the problems to go away and everything to continue as was with a new packaging.

Added to that I find the idea for regional centres for the rest of the season strange also......not a mention of Oriel. Probably the only club in the country who can offer changing facilities in 2 seperate buildings and have a pitch that can be played on all day without it ripping up. Again I have a feeling that the FAI will be looking for rent for the Aviva or Tallaght...Aviva will put money in the FAIs pocket and Tallaght would keep Rovers/council happy.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Thu May 07, 2020 1:29 pm

No club should be allowed use their own ground as a neutral venue - even without fans. People are in a comfort zone when in their own environment. Pitches vary in length and width, and peripheral vision of the stands/terraces/boundary wall helps enormously in gauging where the touchline is when playing a cross field ball. The East Stand in Tallaght v. The Shed in Oriel Park is a prime example.

The problem the FAI face is two fold, teams and their opposition. The 3 North West clubs only play each other so the Brandywell makes sense, jurisdictional variances aside. Galway, Athlone and Longford can all access Athlone via Motorway. Wexford, Waterford, Cobh, and Cork would probably end up in Turners Cross. If you add Bray there are 4 teams each from the Premier and First Divisions. That leaves just us and Drogheda, and I'm sure Vinnie would rather travel to Dublin than Derry or Athlone for "home" games. Don't get me wrong, I would be deeply unhappy about playing away from OP. Even without supporters I think the pitch gets into opposition players heads as an excuse, instead of an opportunity to play a passing game.

The big question here is the decision making process. Do all 19 clubs need to agree?(Rovers only get 1 vote). Is a fixed (i.e. 80%) or even simple majority enough? IF the league doesn't restart what happens to the 4 European sides? Ok we could play each other home and away in a type of mini pre season tournament but nothing prepares players like a full on battle for points.

Ultimately the league has to restart at some point before the end of this year in order to provide 4 teams for 2021 Champions League/Europea League/Europa Conference qualification, as well as an end of season break next summer. It's now fairly inevitable that the current season will be truncated. Clubs simply couldn't afford something similar in 2021 but that already looks possible just to get back on track for 2022. (I'm assuming fans are allowed back in 2021!)

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 am

2019 accounts appear to show a loss of just over €1.2m

https://www.dundalkfc.com/wp-content/up ... s-2019.pdf

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Hard to believe . But , when you think about it , the support around Dundalk is pathetic , which is an indictment on the so called supporters , even when the club was flying high , the support was very poor , to say the least. Having said that the ground should be demolished. The product on the park was fantastic, during the glory days in the past several years.
The owners have a job on their hands. You would need crowds of up on 5,000 per home games to make it profitable , or break even. Obviously the owners are well aware , & have a plan - which has to be home crowds of 5,000. Over & out , hopefully this thread will create a lot of constructive criticism , on how to get the people of Co. Louth to support a great team .

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Hard to believe . But , when you think about it , the support around Dundalk is pathetic , which is an indictment on the so called supporters , even when the club was flying high , the support was very poor , to say the least. Having said that the ground should be demolished. The product on the park was fantastic, during the glory days in the past several years.
The owners have a job on their hands. You would need crowds of up on 5,000 per home games to make it profitable , or break even. Obviously the owners are well aware , & have a plan - which has to be home crowds of 5,000. Over & out , hopefully this thread will create a lot of constructive criticism , on how to get the people of Co. Louth to support a great team . Must mention on a positive note , facilities for players are top class.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm

The population is 39,000. The average crowd is 2,700 which includes a number of Monday night games and some piss poor opposition. That's 7% of the population for a League of Ireland club. In fact there are about 14,000 households, so that's one person in every fifth home making the trek to Oriel.

That's very far from 'pathetic' given the entertainment choices available to people today and given the lack of anything resembling big-match infrastructure.