Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Post by Pepsi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Well said Niall....finally someone realistically looking at it as it is.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:29 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm
We have a simple option either a modern oriel and a shit team on the pitch which will in turn have bugger all fans at the game, or a top class side in a shit stadium and 2500 to 3500 fans at games. That's it. There is no inbetween no matter how much we argue about it on an Internet forum.
I get the rhetoric, but this is hardly true - that by having a small team budget (or even an amateur budget) would somehow allow a modern Oriel to be developed.

I do agree that we are locked in to 2500 - 3000 fans, largely dictated by poor facilities - poor sightlines and lack of cover.

But I strongly disagree that there is no middle ground - it is certainly possible to dramatically improve the sightlines and cover in some parts of the ground that would allow for additional 1000 + fans. There is appears to be no current will to do so, but that does not make it impossible to do in a way that can give an economic return
niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm
We need a municipal stadium funded by multi sporting organisations and town or county council investment along with grants and government investment. None of which is gonna happen. We had our chance with dkit and threw it away. The budget for this current squad could be anywhere from €30 to €40k a week if it is 40k then that is almost €2.1m a year. Let that sink into your heads OK. If we had won the league this season we would have won 100k so would only be chasing 2m. So we made 2.9m from the group stage progression so that leaves 900k to pay for the use of Tallaght x 1 and Aviva x 3 matches including the playoff round along with the costs of travel and accommodation for 3 away games. Then there are the management team and all the background staff, rent on oriel, electricity and the player bonus for reaching the group stages. Last time around they all got roughly 40k wasn't it? So don't think for a second that we have 2.9m coming straight into the coffers.
Only someone totally unfamiliar with the economics of the league (or totally out of touch with reality) would think that the €2.9m is profit going straight to the bottom line.

The 30k - 40K per week playing budget you mention is likely to be correct based on Matt Hulsizer saying that we have twice the payroll of the next biggest in the league. This is indicative of the poor management in the club around recrtuitment and budgets rather than an inability to upgrade Oriel
Last edited by Ezeikial on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 pm

We have threads on Oriel so I won't use this one to thrash out what can and can't be done. But it's not the binary you're making it out to be. (I'm also not sure why you've thrown 'rent on Oriel' into the costs - it's peanuts, There are costs but they are always there).

But I will say that whole DKIT thing that Gerry Malone bangs on about is a red herring. It involved Dundalk being secondary tenants behind Louth GAA and we would have had to move our home matches around the GAA schedule including bigger club championship matches. It was a way of spreading the cost for the other stakeholders, but was going to leave us as very much a junior partner. There were going to be issues around access for training, where our youth teams were going to play etc etc. We would have had to keep Oriel open - two sets of costs. It was the same reason, reversed, why SDCC and Rovers fought off Thomas Davis that time. We have to be the primary tenants in any municipal stadium.

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:27 pm

You need to be an expert on here nowadays or have a degree in architecture/Math's and sports sicence to get involved a discussion 😀

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:33 am

Anyone got a Times.co.uk subscription? This is the intro, although I'm not sure I want to read the rest!!
‘Why can’t Dundalk’s goalkeeper take corners?’
Before their Europa League meeting with Arsenal, Paul Rowan talks to American chairman Bill Hulsizer about the crazy world of Dundalk

Dundalk would be a laughing stock because of some of the off-the-wall ideas which have filtered out of Oriel Park in the past few weeks, were it not for the fact that they are the only Irish club still involved in Europe and will have the eyes of the country on them when they line up against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow night.

The man seemingly turning football logic on its head is Bill Hulsizer, the 77-year-old American chairman of the club and a strong proponent of goalkeepers taking corners, who is presently confining himself to his home near Fort Lauderdale in Florida, but still making his presence felt at the Co Louth club, which he has taken to his heart.

And, it has...

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 am

To be fair they are rehashing the dirty laundry that was aired back in August. Nothing new in that.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:42 am

Have you read it? There's supposed to be a bit about what Bill thinks is the right manager for us.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:02 pm

El Paso wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:42 am
Have you read it? There's supposed to be a bit about what Bill thinks is the right manager for us.
No I don't have the subscription I was merely commenting on the bit you posted. I thought he nailed his colours to the mast with Filippo recently?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:53 pm

El Paso wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:42 am
I read it, not much in it tbh. Robbie couldn't take the job because he is negotiating with the FAI still, couldnt agree terms with Kennedy, Filippo interviewed well and was highly regarded in New York.
Bill thinks we need a coach that can teach players rather than a guy who is good with €10m a year players.
Rehash of the goalkeeper taking corners story and finishes with Bill saying he is a pain in the arse but people will just have to deal with it.
Still have big plans for Dundalk.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Cheers!

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Lets hope our owners now realise they are not only owners of Dundalk FC but will also have the American President looking very closely at the area....auld Joe seems to be proud of his local roots. Could this be a bit of American pressure they need........time to start tweeting Joe out results etc. lads. If the President takes a fancy.....surely the owners, politicians etc. will try to impress.....

OK dream over.

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Don't hold your breath Pepsi, Peak6 and Trump are both Narcissistic believe me.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

Back to these guys again.

In three seasons we’ve managed to lose a chairman and two chief executives, lost the volunteer club secretary twice, and seen the chief operations officer resign from the board.

We’ve lost the greatest manager the domestic game has ever known because we wouldn’t offer him a better contract, replaced him with his assistant who was then constantly undermined, before him and his two LOI veteran assistants were sacked.

Our owners’ knowledge of the game in Europe is so piss-poor that the only manager they could find for us was a guy in New York who had never managed, that a mate of theirs recommended.

We’ve gone from talking about tying up our talent with long term deals so we don’t lose them for nothing, to potentially seeing a squad that won four trophies under Perth 12 months ago being gutted by Christmas.

We’ve burned through cash at a sinful rate since the day they walked in and all we have to show for it in terms of even the medium term is the YDC.

Rather than invest even a tiny amount in the town, they proposed moving all our good games to Dublin and rebranding the club.

Either our owners are clueless spoofers, or they are just so busy being billionaire business geniuses that they couldn’t care less. Maybe it’s both. There’s zero evidence it’s anything else. And to think our resident bootlicker wanted fans to wave banners thanking them. What an insult.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 am

Apart from losing Kenny which I think may have would have happened regardless of the contract we offered, I think you're spot on with the rest.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 am

El Paso wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

We’ve lost the greatest manager the domestic game has ever known because we wouldn’t offer him a better contract,
Sorry what's this? this is actually the first time I have heard someone say this.
There's a lot of reasons why you can have a go at the owners over but this is not one.