Brentford match - Weds 7th Feb

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Brentford match - Weds 7th Feb

Postby White Horse » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Another disappointing night for Dylan Connolly. Chris Shields was way off the pace too, while Ronan Murray is no centre forward.

However, there were plenty of positives. Chvedukas looks like a good find and Adorján has talent to burn. He needs to get fitter but he is going to be a good addition.

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby grayzer75 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Connolly was terrible tonight - a headless chicken. In fairness to Murray he tried but would be a lot better if he could play off a striker. I’d put Chevdukas in ahead of Shields in the defensive midfield role - he likes to tackle and has bags of energy. Adorjan is a baller and will be some player when he’s fully fit. Folan got caught too easy for their goal but he got better as the game went on and credit to Massey for the header which lead to Folans goal.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Great workout against a well coached energetic team.

I hope Gannon is okay and there are no injuries.

Adorjan looks like a real player
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Vending10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vending10 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Was at the match tonite for me Sean hoare is going to be our most important player this season. Getting better game by game .

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 pm

White Horse wrote:Another disappointing night for Dylan Connolly. Chris Shields was way off the pace too, while Ronan Murray is no centre forward.

However, there were plenty of positives. Chvedukas looks like a good find and Adorján has talent to burn. He needs to get fitter but he is going to be a good addition.

I’ve been saying that since he signed, when we have a full strength side, Murray is not likely to be considered as a striker. I think he will be playing either on the wing* or more likely will be as the no 10. It’s a real pity Hoban is injured, those two together might be just the ticket. That said we desperately need a new striker.

*if Connolly keeps up his poor form, Murray might find a spot on the right wing, when Hoban returns.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

Ezeikial wrote:Interesting reports on how Brentford are taking a different approach to player development

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-outcasts

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun. ... ayers/amp/

Ideally you'd want a hybrid of both hoovering up the best young free agents available and having a proper youth academy in place. Could we afford to sign 15/20 extra players with the hopes of a few making the first team? Even if we could, why would they sign for our reserves rather than another club in the league to get into the shop window. DKIT scholarships maybe? 3/4 year contracts?
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

A good work out in preparation for Cork on Sunday & the season ahead. I think we will see Connolly improve as we go on. Very impressed with Adorjan, both he & Chevdukas
Could be our main stay in midfield along side Benson with O'Donnell as back up to come on when necessary.

A lot spoke last night for the need of a striker, this is something I'm sure Stephen Kenny is giving his full attention to.

I hope Gannon is ok & available for Sunday, as I said before, this is a game we need to lay as a marker for going forward this season coming, can't wait for the real football to start.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 am

White Horse wrote:Another disappointing night for Dylan Connolly. Chris Shields was way off the pace too, while Ronan Murray is no centre forward.

Connolly has generally been a disappointment.
The Back of the Wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

Wexford White wrote:Connolly has generally been a disappointment.

SK had a track record of showing loyalty to players he believes in, but on current form it will be hard for him to stick with Dylan Connolly.

If he plays with a defensive midfielder it leaves only 4 midfield places available. Duffy, Adorjan, Chevdukas, Benson, Murray and McGrath should all be ahead of him, with all bar maybe Benson halving right wing experience.
Jarvis could also come in on the left, pushing Duffy to the other side

He could also vary his usual formation which would further go against DC.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Wexford White wrote:Connolly has generally been a disappointment.

SK had a track record of showing loyalty to players he believes in, but on current form it will be hard for him to stick with Dylan Connolly.

If he plays with a defensive midfielder it leaves only 4 midfield places available. Duffy, Adorjan, Chevdukas, Benson, Murray and McGrath should all be ahead of him, with all bar maybe Benson halving right wing experience.
Jarvis could also come in on the left, pushing Duffy to the other side

He could also vary his usual formation which would further go against DC.

I can see Chevdukas competing with O'Donnell for the defensive/sitting midfielder spot, with Benson and Adorjan/Murray as attacking midfielders.

Duffy is looking very strong this season and should have the left side place tied down.

The right side could very well be a choice between McGrath and Connolly and know which one I'd go for, McGrath.

Connolly has great pace and is a good finisher. However, his control of the ball is terrible. He looses possession too easily and exposes us to counter attacks.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 pm

White Horse wrote:
I can see Chevdukas competing with O'Donnell for the defensive/sitting midfielder spot, with Benson and Adorjan/Murray as attacking midfielders.

Duffy is looking very strong this season and should have the left side place tied down.

The right side could very well be a choice between McGrath and Connolly and know which one I'd go for, McGrath.

Connolly has great pace and is a good finisher. However, his control of the ball is terrible. He looses possession too easily and exposes us to counter attacks.

You could be right about Chvedukas as a number 6.

Even in that scenario he could opt for either Adorjan or Murray on the right with McGrath also in that mix. Mountney returning from injury could put Connolly further down the pecking order.

Beesotted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beesotted » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

We're back in London now ..... we had a great time in Dundalk

Good match ... pretty lively ... not like your usual friendly ....

Check out the podcast we did on the night ... spoke to quite a few Dundalk fans including Steve .. Dean from Chedside Army ... Dan .... Ray ... plus more ...

Plus a post match interviews with Brentford head coach Kev O connor ... a few of the Brentford players ... plus Sean Gannon ...

https://audioboom.com/posts/6657363-bee ... on-podcast

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for the feedback lads, I will look forward to that podcast later that, also glad you enjoyed your trip over, amazed so many came all that way for a mid season friendly to watch your B team, that's some support.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 am

Two nice goals for the town. Who gave the ball away in our defence for Brentford goal? Reminds me how our defence played as they tired coming to the end of Europa league run

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”