Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 am

It is well overdue to put these Langer's back in their box.

Performance is usual paramount in a preseason match, but in this case the result may be even more important to lay down a psychological marker for the season ahead

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Postby bigalan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 am

Two years ago I stated that the Presidents Cup V Cork was the most important "meaningless friendly" in our history. My reasoning being that if Cork won, it would give them the confidence and on the bigger success that season. Unfortunately I was right and Cork went to stop our great recent run against them and only losing once to us (albeit the most important meeting of the season ) ending the season winning the FAI Cup and then claiming the double last year. Now we are in a reverse position. It is now OUR time to reclaim the upper hand.
As you say Ezeikal, its important to lay down that marker.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 pm

It is a meaningless friendly. The cup itself means nothing but the result means everything. We need to play them the way they play us. Get stuck into them. Leave a few legal but tasty challenges on them. If they beat us they have the confidence going into the season and they will think they are invincible against us. But if we win we know and they know that they aren't and that we have the beating of them again this season. I don't mind cork but I can't stand that twat in goals McNulty.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:50 pm

I think we need to lay a marker for them.

The lads must be steaming from losing on peno in the cup final
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Important game indeed, not for the trophy more to get a win over them. However lets not forget we lost the game in Feb 2016 and we retained the title that year. Still in my mind that was one of the greatest achievements ever by the club, 3 in a row while competing in the EL group stages, and having a chance to get out of the group too up to the last game too remember, after the league had been won.

Really looking forward to this, should be a nice 'needle' in the game. I think we'll beat them too.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Glorified friendly. I couldn’t care less. I just hope we don’t pick up any injuries or go overboard with the ‘ get stuck into them’ bollox and end up with a suspension or two

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:Glorified friendly. I couldn’t care less. I just hope we don’t pick up any injuries or go overboard with the ‘ get stuck into them’ bollox and end up with a suspension or two

Will you be going then?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote:Glorified friendly. I couldn’t care less. I just hope we don’t pick up any injuries or go overboard with the ‘ get stuck into them’ bollox and end up with a suspension or two

Will you be going then?

No. Seriously.
It’s a friendly and I wouldn’t count it as a trophy to be proud of at the end of the year if we win nothing else. Fri week, Oriel under lights, is the first game I’ll be going to and I can’t wait.
Would anybody swap it for 3pts against Bray?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Who here has said we want to win the presidents cup or that it will be deemed a successful season if that was all we won? We said we need to put a doubt in cork's heads.. If they beat us they go into the season confident that their main title rivals have been beaten by them again. But if we win then they know they aren't invincible and that we can beat them.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Will you be going then?

No. Seriously.
It’s a friendly and I wouldn’t count it as a trophy to be proud of at the end of the year if we win nothing else. Fri week, Oriel under lights, is the first game I’ll be going to and I can’t wait.

Of course a win over Bray is more important and I doubt that you will find anybody who sees it differently.

The trophy itself is also of no consequence, but raising confidence while putting doubt into our main title rivals by winning on Sunday is significant.

As regards going to the Match, many committed supporters take the view that every opportunity to see and support this group is worth taking.

I will be there on Sunday and again on Friday - I'm hoping for two wins

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Will you be going then?

No. Seriously.

Of course a win over Bray is more important and I doubt that you will find anybody who sees it differently.

The trophy itself is also of no consequence, but raising confidence while putting doubt into our main title rivals by winning on Sunday is significant.

As regards going to the Match, many committed supporters take the view that every opportunity to see and support this group is worth taking.

I presume the comment about committed supporters wasn’t a dig at me, considering you asked a question and I replied honestly.
I’ve been to many a pre season friendly on a cold February night down through the years. While I sat there with the other 40 or so ‘committed supporters’ , I never took much notice of the result. I simply don’t agree with all this ‘laying down a marker’ stuff and I just hope our players don’t doing anything daft.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: No. Seriously.

I presume the comment about committed supporters wasn’t a dig at me, considering you asked a question and I replied honestly.
I’ve been to many a pre season friendly on a cold February night down through the years. While I sat there with the other 40 or so ‘committed supporters’ , I never took much notice of the result. I simply don’t agree with all this ‘laying down a marker’ stuff and I just hope our players don’t doing anything daft.

No I wasn't having a dig at you at all.

I am just surprised that the match is of no interest to you.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 pm

There are reports suggesting Mark McNulty won't be travelling because of the passing of Liam Miller.

Looks like we will have to wait a bit more before we can hurl abuse at him

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Ezeikial wrote:There are reports suggesting Mark McNulty won't be travelling because of the passing of Liam Miller.

It’s ok, we can give Karl Sheppard double the abuse now!!
King Kenny!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 pm

colymull wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:There are reports suggesting Mark McNulty won't be travelling because of the passing of Liam Miller.

It’s ok, we can give Karl Sheppard double the abuse now!!

In my opinion Sheppard should just be completely ignored.

Otherwise any negative attention sends the message out that we are sore that he chose not to join us.

Return to “General Discussion”