Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Shoco wrote:As fo Connolly, how much better would we have been with Shepard on the wing today?

We would have been better with anyone else on the wing.
Literally anyone.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Connolly is much better than he has played for us. I genuinely think its a confidence thing as he was standout lots of times for Bray. He needs to be dropped and brought on as a sub when defences are getting tired and let him run at them to try and get his confidence back.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Adorjan & Hoare were missed in 2 nd . half , Poynton did ok , but did give the ball away on three or four occasions ,. Mountenay and O’ Donnell were missed, also Gartland , Gannon. We were a shambles in 2 nd. half , & to say Cork put us to the sword is an under statement. It all started with the incredible gift to Sheppard , the gates were open & no better team than Cork to oblige. SK is a good manager & he will now know what he has to do. Peak 6 , want to get to Europe on an annual basis , well they know what has to be done . If we want to dominate you are talking 4 or 5 players. No panic , it’s not rocket science.
As Roy Keane said one time , you learn more from a defeat , and this was the right time , before the season starts . Would be confident that Stephen & Malachy have players in the pipe line .

leesider
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby leesider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Shoco wrote:As fo Connolly, how much better would we have been with Shepard on the wing today?

There were a lot of Dundalk fans saying after the Shep transfer collapsed they weren't a bit disappointed as he wouldn't have got into the Dundalk first team anyway. That is utter nonsense as anyone can see he is an excellent footballer. It looks like a very good bit of business by JC to hold on to him.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Trying to take some comfort from the fact that we dominated the first half and the defense was makeshift once Hoare went off but that was a spectacular collapse no matter what way you spin it. Worrying that once Cork upped the tempo and got in our faces we were once again not able to compete, McCormac was like a man possessed in the second half and it left me longing for a fit O'Donnell

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

leesider wrote:

There were a lot of Dundalk fans saying after the Shep transfer collapsed they weren't a bit disappointed as he wouldn't have got into the Dundalk first team anyway. That is utter nonsense as anyone can see he is an excellent footballer. It looks like a very good bit of business by JC to hold on to him.

Agree completely, he would have been a great addition. I'd give you €40k and Connolly for him now

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm

At half-time I fully expected that we would run out easy winners and maybe end up 4-0 winners. It is a mystery to me what a disaster we were in the second half; it is to Cork's credit that they took advantage to the extent that they got 4 goals.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 pm

The only thing that achieved expectation was the puddle.
The Back of the Wall

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm

The puddle is now a small lake , the ducks will be arriving
shortly , it’s an insult to Shedside.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Dead mouse found on seats in away end Ffs!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Last 2 cork games in oriel have finished on aggregate 2-7 to Cork. We have to play them 4 times this season, unless there's a major change we haven't a hope of winning the league.
Imagine Sheppard could have been on our right wing today instead of Connolly...

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 pm

One of the lads said , Peak 6 have purchased mouse traps,
so hopefully they will catch Mickey , also Rovers fans afraid of mice.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:The puddle is now a small lake , the ducks will be arriving
shortly , it’s an insult to Shedside.

If the entire shedside didn't pass the puddle until the match kicked off on Friday it wouldn't be long getting fixed.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 am

Fair to say it was a game of two halves. I thought Dundalk were excellent first half, played good football and utterly dominated in poor conditions. Cork were excellent second half and showed the usual tenacity and guts and succeeded in dragging us into a dirty scrap. They’re a nightmare to play against, and I mean that as a compliment. Hoare was a big loss, Shields is no centre half and Benson is no defensive midfielder. Playing with just two defenders and no defensive midfielder against Cork proved to be a shambles, but maybe if we’d signed one or two more defensive players instead of 17 attacking midfielders we’d be better. We’ve only got 6 defenders in the squad, including 3 central defenders. That’s not enough cover, but that seems to be Kenny’s conscious decision. He wants lots of attacking midfielders in his squads and deliberately focuses on that at the expense of defenders and forwards. (And how the feck do we have half our defenders and defensive midfielders out injured before the season has even started?)

Let’s not demonise Connolly just yet. He still needs a whole load of refinement but he has potential. Larry Ryan from the Examiner picked him out as ‘excellent’ on twitter in the first half yesterday, incidentally, which I thought was on the generous side. Thought it was a bit harsh when he was getting abuse for a poorly delivered free kick…. which had been taken by Duffy. Connolly is the scapegoat-du-jour, it was Kilduff before him, Gaynor before that. We’re not exactly in Baba Issaka territory here. He was very good home and away against Rovers in the cup semi last year until he was forced off injured by the 5th or 6th foul on him in Tallaght. A bit more of that dynamism would be nice though.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 am

In the (freezing) cold light of day we have to be fair and recognise that we played the second half against their first choice 11 with two defenders and a sick central attacking midfielder being asked to provide cover.

We shouldn't read too much into it, I feel.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”