Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Cork City I Sun 11 Feb I 2pm I Oriel Pk I Presidents Cup

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Have we ever conceded 4 goals in 40 minutes under SK before? Even in Europe?

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Shocking 2nd half, we just didn't come out after half time after being much the better side 1st half. A couple of our guys were playing really well 1st half, Poynton, Murrary, and Hoare were doing great. Dont know what happened at half time cause we were a different side. Rogers was hugely at fault for their 1st, thought about coming for the ball and thrn stopped to allow Shepard run onto a free ball. The 2nd goal, McNamee had the freedom of Oriel Park to head in.
In fairness, we should have had a clear penalty was Hoban was pushed in the box, how it wasnt given is beyond me.
Ive said it last year and ill say it again, Dylan Connolly shoud think about a career in athletics, he'd make a great runner but there is one thing he is not and thats a footballer, absolutely horrendous player.
Yes, its just a friendly and in the bigger scheme of things it means very little, but already Cork have a psychological edge on us, we really need to beat them in OP in a couple of weeks.
King Kenny!

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:47 pm

colymull wrote:Shocking 2nd half, we just didn't come out after half time after being much the better side 1st half. A couple of our guys were playing really well 1st half, Poynton, Murrary, and Hoare were doing great. Dont know what happened at half time cause we were a different side. Rogers was hugely at fault for their 1st, thought about coming for the ball and thrn stopped to allow Shepard run onto a free ball. The 2nd goal, McNamee had the freedom of Oriel Park to head in.
In fairness, we should have had a clear penalty was Hoban was pushed in the box, how it wasnt given is beyond me.
Ive said it last year and ill say it again, Dylan Connolly shoud think about a career in athletics, he'd make a great runner but there is one thing he is not and thats a footballer, absolutely horrendous player.
Yes, its just a friendly and in the bigger scheme of things it means very little, but already Cork have a psychological edge on us, we really need to beat them in OP in a couple of weeks.

Thought we were excellent in the first, back 4 was solid with Poynton snarling and aggressive in his tackles, McGrath and Adorjan combining well and Murray took his goals well.

Ref was dreadful the entire game, overruling the linesman even though the lino was right on top of the incident, letting McNamee pull the arms of McGrath everytime he beat him in midfield, allowing McNamee to retake a throw he threw straight out of play off his curly mop, and of course the pen.

As for Rogers, no competition , no pressure to perform.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

We'll find out soon enough why so many players were absent. Shields and Folan will never be a centre back partnership for us. Benson will never be a lone central midfielder.

They were close to full strength in the second half, we were fielding a mess of a team I wouldn't put out for the Leinster Senior Cup.

If it is the case we're carrying a lot of injuries into the start of the season that'll be a disaster, though.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Look every time Cork beat us , we seem to have the same excuses ie we hadn’t a strong team, they were lucky, bad decisions by ref. Simple fact are we are not good enough to beat Cork look at our record over the last eleven games they are a better team than us and have our number, We lost the league last year over our results against Cork, same thing looks like happening this year, why is it taking Kenny so long to sort out this problem ??

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Plus we play them four times in the league, making the head to heads more important. Can't drop 12 points and expect to win the league

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:30 pm

El Paso wrote:They were close to full strength in the second half, we were fielding a mess of a team I wouldn't put out for the Leinster Senior Cup.

That is about it.

Defensively we were all over the place in the second half, and the midfield three had no shape at all.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:36 pm

paul1 wrote:Look every time Cork beat us , we seem to have the same excuses ie we hadn’t a strong team, they were lucky, bad decisions by ref. Simple fact are we are not good enough to beat Cork look at our record over the last eleven games they are a better team than us and have our number, We lost the league last year over our results against Cork, same thing looks like happening this year, why is it taking Kenny so long to sort out this problem ??

Absolutely.

But I'd just say that (for the sake of argument) if the 11 players we had on after Hoare went off injured were our regular 11 we wouldn't finish Top 4.

I do think Kenny has developed a blind spot to this I have to say. The 3-0 defeat in Oriel last July should have rung alarm bells and his answer was to spend a lot of money on Connolly.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:39 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
colymull wrote:Shocking 2nd half, we just didn't come out after half time after being much the better side 1st half. A couple of our guys were playing really well 1st half, Poynton, Murrary, and Hoare were doing great. Dont know what happened at half time cause we were a different side. Rogers was hugely at fault for their 1st, thought about coming for the ball and thrn stopped to allow Shepard run onto a free ball. The 2nd goal, McNamee had the freedom of Oriel Park to head in.

Thought we were excellent in the first, back 4 was solid with Poynton snarling and aggressive in his tackles, McGrath and Adorjan combining well and Murray took his goals well.

Ref was dreadful the entire game, overruling the linesman even though the lino was right on top of the incident, letting McNamee pull the arms of McGrath everytime he beat him in midfield, allowing McNamee to retake a throw he threw straight out of play off his curly mop, and of course the pen.

I must have been watching a different game then as rogers wasn't at fault for any of the goals that I seen. Two defenders leaving it for each other and letting Shepard run right through them, and judging by Kenny she reaction to Folan after it, I'd say he would agree

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby condor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm

On the evidence of today's mis-match I don't see us taking any points off Cork, they are miles ahead
of us in every area. Cork a bigger, stronger and faster than us, they fight for every ball, we don't.
Connolly is complete dog shit, he'd be lucky to make the bench at any other club in the league.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:49 pm

The old game of two halves!!! Why we didn't come out second period & continue playing the way we did God only knows, it was shocking to watch from a Dundalk point of view. On the positives, Pyonton played well right full, Hoare & Folan were doing rightly up to Hoare been subed, Duffy looked good & did MC Grath. Cork came flying out of the blocks second half & all our optimism went out the window. So disappointed in Connolly today, he really needs to get his act together fast.

Stephen Kenny must be furious at letting two goals slip for which the defending was as poor as I've seen in Oriel Park in ages. A lot to sort out before Friday & sort out it must. The marker was not laid down by Dundalk on Cork today & that's the most disappointing aspect of today's match.

C'MON THE TOWN:
Last edited by Townfan7 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

condor wrote:On the evidence of today's mis-match I don't see us taking any points off Cork, they are miles ahead
of us in every area. Cork a bigger, stronger and faster than us, they fight for every ball, we don't.
Connolly is complete dog shit, he'd be lucky to make the bench at any other club in the league.

Yet 4-0 at half time would not have flattered us.

I don't go with all this gloom and doom.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Shoco wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:

I must have been watching a different game then as rogers wasn't at fault for any of the goals that I seen. Two defenders leaving it for each other and letting Shepard run right through them, and judging by Kenny she reaction to Folan after it, I'd say he would agree

From where I was standing, and if memory serves me right, it looked like Rogers thought about coming for the ball, and may have got it but then decided to stop and let Sheppard get the shot away.
King Kenny!

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

No the two defenders left it for each other to deal with allowing Shepard to doddle throughout the middle of them and score.

Kenny was straight out having a few choice words with folan for not dealing with it

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 pm

As fo Connolly, how much better would we have been with Shepard on the wing today?

Return to “General Discussion”