2018 Home Attendances

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2018 Home Attendances

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:Eh skip the champions league
or take the kids to Oriel

Fcuking this

I’ll be lucky to watch champions lge on sky+ at half 10 tomorrow night, but OP comes first
Embarrassing official attendance if accurate

For you it comes first. Congrats on being a super hard core ultra fan.
For others there are competing activities.
Bray U-19s wasn't attractive for a lot of people given the recent run of games and other factors this weekend

Yea, in other words they couldn’t be arsed, which is the point. It’s just sad that so many will have chosen to sit in the pub watching Liverpool rather than head to OP

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 am

While we won comfortably, it was a low entertainment, low profile game against really terrible opposition. I see no real issue with the attendance and expect that the crowds will return in the autumn for the run in.
Not sure why people get so surprised about this every single year.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 am

It's easy to be negative and slate the large number of anonymous casual supporters who are turning up less regularly at Oriel Park than previously.

What is more challenging and much more useful is to suggest practical ways to reverse this trend.

This post has had zero responses so far:

Ridleys regular wrote:Dundalk have called it right here ^^ harsh pile of games this last few weeks

How would yee all improve attendances if you were put in charge?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 am

Crowds and embarrassment all season and this is a new low. Combined crowd of not even 4k. Should have had that for the Waterford game alone.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

I agree that attendances are far too low for the quality of this team and 1800 is embarrassing really. But donyou ever think it has more to do with the match day experience and less to do with the attractive football we play or the level of opposition? I know we harp on about it all the time for away fans, but even for home fans oriel is a dump. Ffs the toilets are smelly, unclean, won't flush and there isn't even a lock on most of the toilet doors. A lick of paint around oriel is a good starting point. Its not a child, female or family friendly place. Plus the league is played far too frequently. We have played 20 games already and it is only the tail end of May. So that is 20 league games in about 13 weeks. Not to mention Leinster cup and EA Sports cup. So between now and end of October we only have 16 league games in 5 months... ok we have FAI cup EA Sports and Europe as well but the FAI don't plan it correctly.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

Where does this expected 4,000 attendance figure come from. I've seen it mentioned loads of times but yet to see a basis for it

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

4K attendances as mentioned by Robbie, are unfortunately way off the mark and we would only expect to see this for a cup semi final, I think however 3k should be achievable if a few things can be changed.

Niall mentioned the poor facilities, and toilets for women and children are just sub standard, the men’s as you walk into the main door in the stand is just stuck in the 70’s.

The temp-perm stand that Pats have behind their home end would work perfectly behind the Carrick road goal and would still leave a lot of space for parking and access.

I think it’s also a fair point the amount of games both home and away, I was in Waterford, Dalymount and every home game in May but that was unusual for me to have the time to go to two away games in one month, I’ve also had to miss the odd Monday home game in the past due to family commitments. I totally understand people having other things on, second home match in a week alone will put pressure on people and not just financially, time is a another consideration.

Last night was probably the core support we have, call it 2k, almost zero away support, give that an avg of 200 for other games, so if we are looking at 3k as a realistic figure (refer to figs on stats page, it has been achieved for a number of games this season), more than 800 floating or undecided and for various reasons, did not attend last night.

The numbers were disappointing last night, hopefully it was just a blip in season lows but this game and Limerick are usually one of the lower crowds, will be interesting what crowd turns up for the next home game v Limerick, the big one after this and the first after the break, I’d predict we won’t even get 4K at that, v Cork, might be over 3.5 though.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm

The problem is clear. The solutions are not.

What actions can the club take to attract more of the floating 1000+ supporters to attend more regularly?
How can the club attract more new supporters?

So far:
Improve facilities - cleanliness and condition of toilets etc
Improve appearances - lick of paint etc
Improve infrastructure - Erect temporary stands, build new toilets

Is that it?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Ezeikial wrote:The problem is clear. The solutions are not.

What actions can the club take to attract more of the floating 1000+ supporters to attend more regularly?

So far:

Is that it?

Lens have a population the size of Dundalk but got 28k a game. There must be 4K football fans in Dundalk?

To improve attendances it is a bit of everything. The bigger the crowd the more excitement attracting more people, a virtuous circle. It is singing and the flags, social media, the website and building excitement. Promotions, encouraging groups like schools to attend. It is all fans being evangelical and encouraging others. It is not being negative about more casual fans but it is encouraging them to go. We have something very special going on that is good for all the town and it could be bigger and better. The club are doing plenty of the above and I hope the improved facilities will come. I don’t think we can do anymore than keep positive and talking it up with people, the hardcore love can be infectious

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:Lens have a population the size of Dundalk but got 28k a game. There must be 4K football fans in Dundalk?

I presume you mean Lens in northern France, where RC Lens play in Stade Bollaert-Delelis. According to wikpedia "The stadium's capacity is 41,229 – about 4,000 more than the city's population".

However wikipedia also suggests "Lens belongs to the intercommunality of Lens-Liévin, which consists of 36 communes, with a total population of 250,000. Lens, along with Douai, forms the metropolitan area of Douai-Lens, whose population at the 1999 census was 552,682"

This is hardly comparing like with like, although I suggest that you might be right to say that there must be 4k football fans in Dundalk - the question is how to attract them to come to Oriel Park more regularly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Bollaert-Delelis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens,_Pas-de-Calais

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat May 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Keep being positive, keep talking about the attractive ball we play, keep winning... All we can do until Oriel is made a more pleasant experience.

In Ireland, with four competing sports and the most marketed football League in the world next door, we get 10% of the Town's population for some of our games. 8 - 10% for most of the rest. That is superb. Per head of population we do get the best attendances in the League. I've said it before that averaging 3,000 against the B sides and 4,000 against the A sides is probably the most we can hope for until Oriel itself becomes an attractive venue.

As for last night specifically I put it down to the number of games in a short space of time. It has been ridiculous and frankly if I had to skip one then last night's stroll against a zombie club would have been first on the chopping block.

There were five home matches including the League Cup semi final in four weeks. It's ludicrous. All of a sudden we're not at home for two weeks, then three weeks after that. The sudden drying up of matches will boost attendances significantly at both, I believe.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm

better facilities are abadly needed toilets first and foremost along with better catering service ,had 3 kids with me last night 25 euro for overpriced muck from chip van .maybe doing some sort of family ticket offer would help as well ,someone in the club needs to start taking the lead with promotions and improving facilties

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Some good discussion on this. Hope the club monitor this site, certainly feels there are easy fixes like catering. In the meantime let’s encourage everyone we know to get up to Oriel to see this great football

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat May 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Ezeikial wrote:The problem is clear. The solutions are not.

So far:

Is that it?

A lot of people are event junkies who only go to games if there is sufficient hype. The numbers of games teams have to play make it very difficult to create the hype to attract these people.

I am not convinced better facilities make any significant difference to the numbers who go to games. Better facilities are justified in their own right, and not on the impact they may have on attendances.

I think the club should start visiting schools again and reconsider offering free season tickets to under 12s. Measures can be put in place to stop it being abused.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat May 26, 2018 4:20 pm

We don't even have a professionally designated marketing team? Their job is to get people to games and promote the team. Marginally improving facilities over time will help but I know some good people working in marketing as international brand managers for companies and by God they know how to make money for their products. We are not even on that level. Not even close. It's haphazard and amateurish.

So in short, we need a top class marketing team.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”