2018 Home Attendances

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2018 Home Attendances

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:thought the drummers were very good on friday night ,broughtl atmosphere into oriel fgot the crowd going ,face painting for kids good to gets them involved .and the free scarves good gesture and getting the brand out there also.but yet again and i know we touched on this before, that overpriced grease box sitting in oriel on friday night is an embarrasement ,had sister in law and kids with me first time in oriel ,pre warned her before half time when she notifed me they were heading for el sing lee.didnt listen ,well after queing for half an hour for the over priced rubbish and missing the first goal ,she was less impressed .actually said would have been cheaper to head for the windsor ,in simple term not good enough and certainly not agood first impression .how can you expect people to return[/quote]

Really it sounded and looked terrible! Many in the Shed will disagree with you.

So you told your sister in law, not to go to the sing lee van cause it wasnt nice. She went and got some and then wasnt impressed when it was not nice!

I had a curry chip and it was lovely Friday

I was in the shed and the crowd seemed to love the drummers good background for our chants

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm

There’s two things worth remembering at all times:

1. Our attendances are fantastic.
2. Our attendances could be better.

We get the highest attendance per head of population in the League. We got the highest actual attendance 2014 and 2015 too. Cork, who have the best, average 4500 the last two years for a city and suburbs population of approx 200,000. Incidentally the average attendance for their Dundalk matches is 2,500 higher than the average of the rest. There’s an appetite for good football on leeside!

Our starting point should be that we have 2,000 fully committed. It will need more than “open the gates and they will come” for the rest and Friday was a great start. But there are a lot of obstacles to overcome...

There’s no dedicated public transport is there? What if Bus Eireann ran dedicated shuttles from the big estates and Blackrock and Carlingford?

Surely more food wagons could set up, like you’d see at a concert? Surely serving alcohol could be organised on the Shed Side? Introduce a membership card. Treat fans like adults, zero tolerance for scrotes.

Also, and we know Oriel needs loads of work, but if we get more than 2,000 at the moment those extra have shite views - Perspex in the stand, bad in the corners, backs of heads on the shed side. People say why don’t more watch our amazing football... kind of hard in a lot of places to see it!

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:08 pm

El Paso wrote:There’s two things worth remembering at all times:

1. Our attendances are fantastic.
2. Our attendances could be better.

We get the highest attendance per head of population in the League. We got the highest actual attendance 2014 and 2015 too. Cork, who have the best, average 4500 the last two years for a city and suburbs population of approx 200,000. Incidentally the average attendance for their Dundalk matches is 2,500 higher than the average of the rest. There’s an appetite for good football on leeside!

Our starting point should be that we have 2,000 fully committed. It will need more than “open the gates and they will come” for the rest and Friday was a great start. But there are a lot of obstacles to overcome...

There’s no dedicated public transport is there? What if Bus Eireann ran dedicated shuttles from the big estates and Blackrock and Carlingford?

Surely more food wagons could set up, like you’d see at a concert? Surely serving alcohol could be organised on the Shed Side? Introduce a membership card. Treat fans like adults, zero tolerance for scrotes.

Also, and we know Oriel needs loads of work, but if we get more than 2,000 at the moment those extra have shite views - Perspex in the stand, bad in the corners, backs of heads on the shed side. People say why don’t more watch our amazing football... kind of hard in a lot of places to see it!

Your crowds are indeed very good and I realise this is likely a throwaway comment but if this is true then there is evidence that the people of Dundalk love some good direct football as your crowds are far higher for your games against us than your average for other teams (+64.5% over your season average to that point).
Or maybe football fans want to see competitive games that mean something more than they want to see a specific style. Long may our two teams continue giving the fans intriguing fixtures and hopefully give them reasons to come back for our other games.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm

some good points there,i know sevens run a bus from lumpers pub for home games ,maybe get other bus companies involved from different areas ,bus eireann would have no intrest,toilets ,food/catering needs urgent attention, problem with new food wagons being allowed into operate with last owners was because owner of current wagon rubbing shoulders with management ,bottom line is like any other service we the customer accuire,is if its not good enough we just dont go back,now we have diehards that will always go ,but if you are serious about attracting new heads some changes need to take place asap.like take the bar at half time ,its like a cattle mart ,time you get to bar game is restarting,even after the game on friday ordered a pint to be handed something that could have been sitting out for half an hour ,not good .barstaff doing the best they can and wiil agree with you its not their choice to pre pull pints ,the amount of complaints being received is outrageous,nobody seems to be picking up the batten for these minor changes

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm

el-pietro wrote:Your crowds are indeed very good and I realise this is likely a throwaway comment but if this is true then there is evidence that the people of Dundalk love some good direct football as your crowds are far higher for your games against us than your average for other teams (+64.5% over your season average to that point).
Or maybe football fans want to see competitive games that mean something more than they want to see a specific style. Long may our two teams continue giving the fans intriguing fixtures and hopefully give them reasons to come back for our other games.

You certainly try hard to talk up your team!

While Cork deserve plaudits for what they have achieved in recent seasons, attracting people to Oriel Park to watch then play "good direct football" is hardly one of them!

Crowds come out for these matches because of whats at stake and hoping for a victory over their nearest rivals
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
el-pietro wrote:Your crowds are indeed very good and I realise this is likely a throwaway comment but if this is true then there is evidence that the people of Dundalk love some good direct football as your crowds are far higher for your games against us than your average for other teams (+64.5% over your season average to that point).

While Cork deserve plaudits for what they have achieved in recent seasons, attracting people to Oriel Park to watch then play "good direct football" is hardly one of them!

Crowds come out for these matches because of whats at stake and hoping for a victory over their nearest rivals

I thought it was obvious that that line was taking the piss. I tried to make that obvious in the second line.
You have echoed my point in your second line, did you just gloss over it or did you focus on the first line and then not bother with the rest?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:11 pm

It’s obvious that crowds improve when there’s something at stake, which was why I thought the hand wringing over our attendance for the Bray match was a bit much.

However generally we still get bigger crowds against Bohs, Rovers and usually Derry than Cork. Friday was an exception.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm

el-pietro wrote:I thought it was obvious that that line was taking the piss. I tried to make that obvious in the second line.
You have echoed my point in your second line, did you just gloss over it or did you focus on the first line and then not bother with the rest?

Taking the piss? As in mocking, derisive, insulting, unkind, rude or sarcastic?
Is that really what you were doing?

I wouldn't accuse you of any of those things.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:had a curry chip and it was lovely,thats good .dont pass any remarks to the other4000.maybe thats to your taste but lets call a sword a sword its overpriced muck

Its the Sing Lee van, dont like it dont get it. (agree on prices)

have you been onto the club about an upgrade on food and beverages?

ANYBODY standing in front of Gerry King telling him his food is muck, now that is something I would pay good money to see!

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:39 pm

el-pietro wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

I thought it was obvious that that line was taking the piss. I tried to make that obvious in the second line.

Gibberish

You are a bore

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 pm

oldfogey without sounding dumb ,who gives 3 flying fcucks what gerry king thinks,who is gerry king ,could be a lovely fella but end of day it is muck and overpriced muck,and just because he rubs shoulders in oriel it doesent make him anything special,lets not forget one thing ,the topic here is about better facilties all around in oriel for supporters and secondly one thing not to forget the supporters come no1,without them there is no dundalk fc and if getting rid if gerry king and his grease wagon is a move in the right direction ,i will drive it out myself

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 pm

One thing we can do better as fans and it seems to have slipped of late is the flag display. I like the guys in front of the shed with the flags up when the team comes out for the bigger games though.

This might not increase crowds but we seem to be a little behind in actual display. Plenty of room behind the town goal to cover that wall with decent flags and we had displays there before so the flags are out there.

Consistency when games are played is a key part too and as mentioned by OF we might struggle if we lose a lot of Friday nights. But let’s use this as a challenge to get more in. That league title winning game v Bohs in 2016 was a great example. 7pm I think on a Sunday. The place was packed.

PS on the sing li. It may not suit kids. But the only thing worth getting is actually it’s best. The curry chips. Wish they had a mini van stand side for Home fans !

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 pm

mike wrote:One thing we can do better as fans and it seems to have slipped of late is the flag display. I like the guys in front of the shed with the flags up when the team comes out for the bigger games though.

This might not increase crowds but we seem to be a little behind in actual display. Plenty of room behind the town goal to cover that wall with decent flags and we had displays there before so the flags are out there

Something we really need to get our finger out on but you’d be surprised at the cost in time and money goes into organising a display.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 pm

transitvan74 wrote:oldfogey without sounding dumb ,who gives 3 flying fcucks what gerry king thinks,who is gerry king ,could be a lovely fella but end of day it is muck and overpriced muck,and just because he rubs shoulders in oriel it doesent make him anything special,lets not forget one thing ,the topic here is about better facilties all around in oriel for supporters and secondly one thing not to forget the supporters come no1,without them there is no dundalk fc and if getting rid if gerry king and his grease wagon is a move in the right direction ,i will drive it out myself

You're right. Fair play to you, your culinary appreciation far supercedes your control of the vernacular.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 pm

oldfogey wrote:
DundalkChampions wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:had a curry chip and it was lovely,thats good .dont pass any remarks to the other4000.maybe thats to your taste but lets call a sword a sword its overpriced muck

Its the Sing Lee van, dont like it dont get it. (agree on prices)

have you been onto the club about an upgrade on food and beverages?

ANYBODY standing in front of Gerry King telling him his food is muck, now that is something I would pay good money to see!

Happily say it oldfogey... Sing Li is muck. I'd not feed it to my dog.

Return to “General Discussion”