Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 23 Feb | 8pm | Tallaght

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 23 Feb | 8pm | Tallaght

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Mind games don't work and a paper never refuses ink.. bottom line is money talks and in every walk of life if u are offered more money to do the same job closer to home then you would be a fool not to take it. However in this instance we offered more money. This is old news anyway as we all knew he had talks with rovers. Anyway less of the gutter snipe from both managers. Let's do our talking on the pitch tonight.

Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:02 pm

We look petty because SK created the headlines he's not the best at the mind games,no need imo to say anything at all that's football, players are being tapped up all the time and like wise players are making enquiries to other clubs like gannon according to the media has done,did a certain cork player not do the same then change his mind ?? Was the kitchen sink not thrown his way who no's.enjoy the game guys 1-1 for me.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

I dont see the problem with this situation. Rovers offered him money to leave, Dundalk offered him more to stay. Surely these kind of deals go on all the time. Im sure that Gannon would like to be close to his place of work, personally i know the advantages of being a ten minute cycle from my place of work. However, if someone offered me more money in Dublin, Id definitely go for it.
King Kenny!

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:50 pm

I work in Dublin and would sell my soul not to be in the car for nearly 2.5 hours everyday. Any extra money earned in Dublin is lost in the car with fuel, 2 servics, new tyres, tolls easily account for the 10k differential.
Also I only see my kids 1st thing in the morning and come home just before they get to bed.

On the game it's an important one. 3 points is a must.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Gannon's agent probably said to Rovers he'll sign for x amount, Rovers agree and then the agent goes back to Dundalk saying Rovers have offered my client x money etc. It shouldnt be a surprise that it happened and would be anticipated when you are talking about a top player who will be in demand. What is odd about it is why release Simon Madden claiming that that position is to go to a young player and then offer a budget busting deal for Gannon. Rovers are currently weaker at right full after that unusual piece of business imo.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Ft 0-0

before last week couldn't remember the last 0-0 and like the no4 bus, 2 come along at once.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Start with the positives:
I thought shields was excellent. Composed and driving midfield.
Two centre backs were comfortable enough which was promising.
I like the look of Murray. Full of energy.
Hoban solid but should have scored a couple.

Negatives:
Duffy, for all the possession he had, wasted it, disgracefully time and again. Held on to it too long. Terrible crossing. Pulled out of numerous tackles.
McGrath, yellow as a buttercup.
Benson, non existent

New signing Abamayang....he's got potential. Some great knock downs. Man marked.

All other players average. Ardjan wearing McElhaney 11 jersey is a far cry from what we were used to seeing.

Stephen Kenny performance:

Picked the best starting 11 available and should be happy with Folan and Cleary.
Shocking decision to substitute Murray for Connolly. Shocking. Someone said connolly was dog s**t last week. Not into being personal with the chap, the rovers fans gave him enough abuse, but he is.....CAT!

CORKS league to lose. Everybody else playing/scrapping for second.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Sneachta wrote:Start with the positives:
I thought shields was excellent. Composed and driving midfield.
Two centre backs were comfortable enough which was promising.
I like the look of Murray. Full of energy.
Hoban solid but should have scored a couple.

Negatives:
Duffy, for all the possession he had, wasted it, disgracefully time and again. Held on to it too long. Terrible crossing. Pulled out of numerous tackles.
McGrath, yellow as a buttercup.
Benson, non existent

New signing Abamayang....he's got potential. Some great knock downs. Man marked.

All other players average. Ardjan wearing McElhaney 11 jersey is a far cry from what we were used to seeing.

Stephen Kenny performance:

Picked the best starting 11 available and should be happy with Folan and Cleary.
Shocking decision to substitute Murray for Connolly. Shocking. Someone said connolly was dog s**t last week. Not into being personal with the chap, the rovers fans gave him enough abuse, but he is.....CAT!

CORKS league to lose. Everybody else playing/scrapping for second.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Probably a little early to be declaring Cork as the winners but we're quickly running out of room for error. Another frustrating night, really missing creativity and composure, Rovers were there for the taking.

Agree with most of what you said, Benson is going to frustrate the life out of me this season, bags of talent and does some lovely things in a game but goes missing for long periods, not good enough. Shields then has to be both the playmaker and the cover. Adorján didn't get much time to be fair. Duffy was lively but final product was poor. Marco had more of an impact than Hoban. The less said about Connolly the better.

If tonight wasn't a must win, Tuesday now probably is!

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 pm

I remember the bag packing days the table quiz nights to save our club and to think we spent 40k on connolly is unbelievable, to use roy keanes line on jack wilshire, connolly is the most overrated player ive seen in years. no excuses its simply a poor start from us.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 pm

I thought it was a far better performance tonight. The defence were solid, and Cleary looks like a really good signing.

After having a stinker last week, Chris Shields was back to his best tonight.

Hoban battled well and got a lot of knocks downs but no one was close enough to him to capitalise.

The problem was the "creative" unit of Benson/McGrath/Murray/Duffy. They are not knitting together and creating the patterns and combinations needed to open up defences.

However, I am confident this will develop.

I am as frustrated with Connolly as anyone but give the lad a break. He is not the player we all thought he was. He is trying hard but everything is going wrong for him. He won't get better if fans get on his back.

Its too early to form any views of Marco. My first impression is that he is not a lone striker, so I'm not sure where Kenny intends playing him. Adjorjan got very little time but he was still finding pockets of space all the time. He is a clever player.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Drawing away to Rovers is ok. We lost that match last year. Just looks bad coming after the draw last day... in fact we lost our first home match with Bray too! Two points ahead!!

We just need everyone to get on the same wavelength sooner rather than later.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am

Wasn't a great game by any stretch of the imagination but I thought we were by far the better team although rovers had the best chance of the game smashing the woodwork. Hoban should have scored with his effort but scuffed it. Cleary and Shields were our stand out players. Why can we not put in any decent crosses? We never seem to be able to get it beyond the first man. Our mf isn't working out. I really believe we miss John Mountney. Football is a confidence game and connolly is clearly lacking confidence at the moment. So instead of groaning every time he does something wrong perhaps encourage him. He isn't doing it deliberately after all. Massey had an absolute stinker imho along with Benson and mcgrath. Great travelling support but were those wet areas from spilt beer or guys using the seats as toilets??!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Quayman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 am

I must say.....that rovers team us one of the worst I have seen in years. They were there for a spanking and we just can't seem to create any chances. Thought mcgrath was a shoe in to be off first but somehow lasted until the 75th minute! Really struggling going forward and with games coming quick and fast it's going to get tougher.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:21 am

The league is turning into a replica of last season, if we had to win the game we should have against Bray tonight’s result would have been ok, Id go as far as saying we have to win on Tuesday night, two games no goals is also worrying I wonder when that last happened in the league, I said it last year and was shot down and told this season we would see the true McGrath, I’m still waiting two games in still don’t see what the fuss is about him.. we don’t seem to cause teams many problems going forward, only positive things were Shields and the defense, I said last week Kenny has a big job on his hands and am sure he is feeling the pressure but the players have to give him more than they are.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:26 am

There appears to be no urgency in going forward and we end up playing backwards. Says a lot if chevdukas can't get ahead of those 14 who plated tonight. Limericks and Derry now appear to be must win games with Cork in oriel after that.

Return to “General Discussion”