Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 2 Mar | 7.45pm | Brandywell

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 2 Mar | 7.45pm | Brandywell

Postby magarnagle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Cleary hasn't put a foot wrong in two games to be fair to him. Folan for me has mistakes in him, so have Hoare and Garts to be fair, but I would expect him to be replaced soon by one of those

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:When Garts and Hoare are fit , who do you reckon will be first choice pairing at CB. Clearly really has impressed me.

I think that before the season started that the most likely centre back pairing was Gatland and Hoare, but both Folan and especially Cleary have pushed themselves into the reckoning with their displays so far.

Stephen Kenny will be delighted to have all four of them fit, in form and pushing each other for places - ultimately he is likely to pick a centre back pairing based on individual form and how they complement each other. With that in mind I think he is likely to partner Gartland or Cleary with Hoare or Folan based on how they are playing.

Right now Cleary and Folan are in the driving seat, but I expect both of the others will get a chance to stake their claim
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

For me cleary has to be first choice. Outstanding debut in Tallaght and played very well again against Limerick. He is very composed on the ball and wins most high balls. Reminds me of Andy Boyle.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Kenny Shield claims game was never going to happen this Friday

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ssion=true
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:For me cleary has to be first choice. Outstanding debut in Tallaght and played very well again against Limerick. He is very composed on the ball and wins most high balls. Reminds me of Andy Boyle.

I think I’d be also looking at Cleary as my first choice. This guy can play. Very composed as Niall mentions but his positional sense is also excellent.

He’s also of an age that he could be harbouring ambitions of a return to England.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 2 Mar | 7.45pm | Brandywell

Postby Sneachta » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 am

mike wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:For me cleary has to be first choice. Outstanding debut in Tallaght and played very well again against Limerick. He is very composed on the ball and wins most high balls. Reminds me of Andy Boyle.

I think I’d be also looking at Cleary as my first choice. This guy can play. Very composed as Niall mentions but his positional sense is also excellent.

He’s also of an age that he could be harbouring ambitions of a return to England.
He'd definitely be capable of a return very soon I'd expect if he kept up the last two performances. The lad played for Liverpool and Birmingham. Its mad the drop a lad can make but its great to see that he sees Dundalk as an opportunity to retain a foothold as a pro footballer. Those options were not always there 20 years ago when returning from England. He seems very intelligent and skillful. Missed a great chance against rovers. Saw it on soccer republic, seemed like an even greater chance on TV.

We have to remember garts is 31/32 Now? so players are going to have to step up and help fill his position. The older he gets, the less games he can play. We've good options in defence now and cleary would also be a starter for me

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 am

Worth mentioning too that we are likely to have around 50 competitive games this season, possibly even more, so we will need absoutely every single player in the squad. It's quick how things can change, in terms of player choices and more so at the back. I think we have found our replacement for Vemmelund now in the shape of Cleary. There is going to be decent competition now to see who gets the nod long term with him, for now it's Folan. Just a final thing to mention on Cleaty, he can be quite clever too, final minutes of the Limierick game at 8-0 I think, he was stand side, jockeyed his man out then invited the free as he was pushed, good pro obviously seeing the game out and maintaining the clean sheet.

PS, shout out to Sneachta above for the seasonal climate we are currently experiencing !

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:53 pm

It looks like the re-fixed Derry game may not go head on 19 March because of international call-ups

Derry City fixtures in doubt due to international call-ups

DERRY CITY’s upcoming SSE Airtricity League fixtures against Dundalk and Cork City have been thrown into doubt due to international call-ups. The Candy Stripes are pencilled in to play their re-arranged league clash with Dundalk at Brandywell Stadium on Monday, March 19th before travelling to Cork the following Friday, March 23rd.

However, given a host of Derry City’s first team panel have been called up for international duty that week, those games are likely to be rescheduled. Conor McDermott, Jamie McDonagh and Ben Doherty have been selected for Northern Ireland U21’s UEFA Euro U21 double header against Spain and Iceland while Eoin Toal will be in action for the U19s. And Rory Hale and Ronan Curtis will be involved in Noel King’s Republic of Ireland U21 home Euro qualifier against Azerbaijan.

Read more at: https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8408407

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 2 Mar | 7.45pm | Brandywell

Postby Sneachta » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am

Ezeikial wrote:It looks like the re-fixed Derry game may not go head on 19 March because of international call-ups

Derry City fixtures in doubt due to international call-ups

DERRY CITY’s upcoming SSE Airtricity League fixtures against Dundalk and Cork City have been thrown into doubt due to international call-ups. The Candy Stripes are pencilled in to play their re-arranged league clash with Dundalk at Brandywell Stadium on Monday, March 19th before travelling to Cork the following Friday, March 23rd.

However, given a host of Derry City’s first team panel have been called up for international duty that week, those games are likely to be rescheduled. Conor McDermott, Jamie McDonagh and Ben Doherty have been selected for Northern Ireland U21’s UEFA Euro U21 double header against Spain and Iceland while Eoin Toal will be in action for the U19s. And Rory Hale and Ronan Curtis will be involved in Noel King’s Republic of Ireland U21 home Euro qualifier against Azerbaijan.

Read more at: https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8408407
The question is are those lads Catholic?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 am

DFC | Dundalk FC’s trip to The Brandywell pushed back — again
Lilywhites will now meet Derry City on May 14th

https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-dundalk-fcs ... 79bf129d33

Return to “General Discussion”