Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Although it is over a week away, the next one against Cork is obviously a huge game even at this stage of the season - we could close to within a single point, stay at 4 points behind, or even end up 7 points adrift.

Cork have obviously started well with 9 goals scored in their first 3 games - the 4-1 away win over Sligo and the ten man 3-2 away win over St Pats being particularly impressive results.

Graham Cummins seems to clicked well with 4 goals in less than 120 minutes of action on top of his goal against us in the Presidents Cup, while Sadlier, McNamee and Sheppard look like they have gelled quickly. The 4-2 Presidents Cup win will probably leave their supporters cocky about getting a decent result and is likely to have given a confidence boost to their players - but other than that, will probably count for little else on the day.

We probably would have benefited from having a league match this weekend - (maybe SK should organise a friendly or closed training match for Sunday?) - to help improve further fitness and form for those who need it.

How will SK set up to counteract and overcome the Cork tactics that have worked so well against us in recent years?

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 pm

I think it’s time to do a number on Cork City.

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Looking forward to this one, but certainly not cocky. Your lads will be full of confidence after scoring 8, as will ours so hopefully a good, exciting, attacking game.

Last time I was in oriel we lost the league on the last day of the season, so if we lose to ye for the first time in 10 games or whatever while I'm there I'll definitely be banned from heading back.

I'd happily take a draw and keep the record going but would be aiming for the win. Our midfield has dominated yours in recent games, if we win that battle again I'd be pretty confident the forwards will do their job. Less confidence about us at the back though. Could be another high scoring game

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Nicely set up game and all teams having a weeks rest, I'd say we will have everyone bar Mountney available. There are going to be some nice selection headaches on the right side and centre of MF.

Cork have only kept one clean sheet conceding 3 but have scored a good few, we on the other hand are still the only side with clean sheets in all games.

Dundalk haven't beaten Cork since early October 2016, that's a long time.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:32 pm

micls wrote:Looking forward to this one, but certainly not cocky.

Perhaps not you, but it is a racing certainty that the usual langers will be on here trolling with bombast, arrogance and all-round cockiness.

micls wrote: Our midfield has dominated yours in recent games, if we win that battle again I'd be pretty confident the forwards will do their job. Less confidence about us at the back though. Could be another high scoring game

The key is in midfield - it will be interesting to see the selection and tactical approach SK takes.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
micls wrote:Looking forward to this one, but certainly not cocky.

Perhaps not you, but it is a racing certainty that the usual langers will be on here trolling with bombast, arrogance and all-round cockiness.

micls wrote: Our midfield has dominated yours in recent games, if we win that battle again I'd be pretty confident the forwards will do their job. Less confidence about us at the back though. Could be another high scoring game

The key is in midfield - it will be interesting to see the selection and tactical approach SK takes.

Once he leaves the mind games alone this time! Mf is the winning of this game but we also have cleary in defence which should tighten it up for us. The 2 wingers need to track back and help gannon and massey when needed.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm

I think they're a lot weaker at the back without Delaney, but we won't exploit that if we let them have the run of midfield as usual. I'd rather start 4-3-3 for this and sacrifice an attacker for more bite in the middle. Assuming fitness something like:

Rogers
Gannon-Cleary-Folan-Massey
Benson-Shields-Chvedukas/Jarvis
Murray-Hoban-Duffy

If we go our normal 4-2-3-1 and play Connolly or McGrath instead of Chvedukas or Jarvis I think McNamee and Sheppard will do damage.

Also agree about the mind games - the most I want to hear about Cork out of Kenny, no matter what provocation there is, is something ultra bland like - "they're the Champions, they have good players, it will be a tough game". End of.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:37 pm

El Paso wrote:I think they're a lot weaker at the back without Delaney, but we won't exploit that if we let them have the run of midfield as usual. I'd rather start 4-3-3 for this and sacrifice an attacker for more bite in the middle. Assuming fitness something like:

Rogers
Gannon-Cleary-Folan-Massey
Benson-Shields-Chvedukas/Jarvis
Murray-Hoban-Duffy

If we go our normal 4-2-3-1 and play Connolly or McGrath instead of Chvedukas or Jarvis I think McNamee and Sheppard will do damage.

Also agree about the mind games - the most I want to hear about Cork out of Kenny, no matter what provocation there is, is something ultra bland like - "they're the Champions, they have good players, it will be a tough game". End of.

Either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 becomes 4-5-1 when you don't have the ball. IMO it is the selection of these five and how they perform in the midfield battle that is the key.

Shields and Benson are likely to be automatic selections. I think Chvedukas is also essential if we are to turn the midfield scrap to our advantage. I can't see a role for Connolly (unless off the bench) although Duffy for all his defensive limitations offers essential creativity. McGrath, Murray and Adorjan are all in the frame for the final spot.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Once he leaves the mind games alone this time!

El Paso wrote:Also agree about the mind games - the most I want to hear about Cork out of Kenny, no matter what provocation there is, is something ultra bland like - "they're the Champions, they have good players, it will be a tough game". End of.

The media will be asking SK lots of questions about Sheppard and McNulty and hoping to get something controversial from him. There may also be fresh comments from Caulfield in the build up to the game - I am sure that Stephen Kenny will be measured and thoughtful about how he responds.

Also bear in mind the narrative about McNulty having the upper-hand in the "war of words" around the FAI Cup Final is completely reversed if Campion is not played on-side for his equaliser.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:33 pm

The 4-2-3-1 *not* reverting to an effective 4-5-1 is the primary reason we managed one point in the whole of last season from a losing position in the League.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 pm

I don't think Kenny will make many changes but I would take a risk and go with the following:

Rogers
Gannon - Cleary - Garts/Hoare - Massey
Murray - Shields - Chvedukas - Adorjan - Duffy
Hoban

I think there's a mistake in Folan that will be exposed against a good side. Midfield will be a battle as always and I think we have the best chance of winning it with Shields and Chvedukas with Adorján providing the composure.

It's a risk given the limited game time of the 3 changes but for me it is a bigger risk to play lads who physically can't compete with Cork

marvin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marvin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 pm

micls wrote:Looking forward to this one, but certainly not cocky. Your lads will be full of confidence after scoring 8, as will ours so hopefully a good, exciting, attacking game.

Last time I was in oriel we lost the league on the last day of the season, so if we lose to ye for the first time in 10 games or whatever while I'm there I'll definitely be banned from heading back.

I'd happily take a draw and keep the record going but would be aiming for the win. Our midfield has dominated yours in recent games, if we win that battle again I'd be pretty confident the forwards will do their job. Less confidence about us at the back though. Could be another high scoring game

Playing with wingers against Cork simply doesnt work, especially when they hide.
Tomorrow is another day.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:54 am

Didnt the manager talk about experimenting with 4-3-3 preseason? Maybe it was with Cork in mind although in reality it will still likey be 2 ball winning midfielders a creative type and front 3 of 2 wide men and a striker so a variation on the 4-2-3-1. We need the wide players to really perform to stretch the Cork centre midfielders across the park and allow our own attacking centre mid a chance to get up in support of the striker.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 am

dell wrote:in reality it will still likey be 2 ball winning midfielders a creative type and front 3 of 2 wide men and a striker so a variation on the 4-2-3-1.

Apart from the rare occasion that Shields and O'Donnell have been on the pitch together, when have we had 2 ball winners in midfield? Benson is many things, but a tough tackling ball winner he is not.

As Skip is unlikely to be match fit, we probably are pinning our midfield on Chvedukas anchoring with Shiels.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Well I expect and hope that midfield setup will be adjusted to cope with Cork's midfield hence it likely that Sheilds and Chevdukas, or whomever are the ball winning midfielders, will play slightly deeper and Benson with more licence to get forward at the expense of playing a number 10 behind the lone striker. Wide men have to step up if this is how we are setting up. If we play with one holding midfielder and a more attacking/lightweight midfield it will still be waiting a win against Cork assuming their terrier like midfielders are all available.

Return to “General Discussion”