Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

Kartoffel wrote:I didnt see JC make the comment. But my response is straightforward. Nobody contracts the flu and plays a professional football match at the level of intensity of a City-Dundalk game 2-3 days later.

So, one of 2 options:
1. We didnt have a match for 11 days. Maybe JC was referring to a situation where McNamee contracted the flu last weekend or even earlier, and was still suffering during the week (in other words, he still "had the flu" during the week), and just about recovered in time for Friday night (which would be about a 5-6 day period from initial contraction to playing the match, or possibly more); or
2. If JC were actually suggesting that McNamee "contracted" the flu during the week, then he would be engaging in that incredibly annoying "oh i had a bit of flu for 2 days but now i'm okay" talk.

However, the fact that there was 11 days between matches, i would assume it was the first case (unlike the suggestion of SK that Adorjan played 90 mins of professional football on the wednesday, contracted the flu thursday, and played another professional football match Sunday.

Out of interest, do you have the JC interview to hand? Id like to see the context. I hope he wasnt using it as an excuse! There was no excusing that performance really. We were beaten all over the park, and whether or not McNamee was under the weather shouldnt excuse that. I think Benno being missing was a big factor - once McNulty made the howler, Benno's calming influence was just what we needed. I was a bit disappointed with McCormack losing the head - game was over after 15 minutes.

There is another far more likely reason for JC's flu comment about McNamee:

He was spinning BS! (you have already alluded to the fact that Caulfield tends to be dishonest in post match interviews). It was most likely a simple selection choice - by reverting to his natural cautious instincts he selected Buckley instead of McNamee, but felt unable to say so

My guess is that this was the first Barry McNamee knew of having flu

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Kartoffel wrote:I didnt see JC make the comment. But my response is straightforward. Nobody contracts the flu and plays a professional football match at the level of intensity of a City-Dundalk game 2-3 days later.

So, one of 2 options:
1. We didnt have a match for 11 days. Maybe JC was referring to a situation where McNamee contracted the flu last weekend or even earlier, and was still suffering during the week (in other words, he still "had the flu" during the week), and just about recovered in time for Friday night (which would be about a 5-6 day period from initial contraction to playing the match, or possibly more); or
2. If JC were actually suggesting that McNamee "contracted" the flu during the week, then he would be engaging in that incredibly annoying "oh i had a bit of flu for 2 days but now i'm okay" talk.

However, the fact that there was 11 days between matches, i would assume it was the first case (unlike the suggestion of SK that Adorjan played 90 mins of professional football on the wednesday, contracted the flu thursday, and played another professional football match Sunday.

Out of interest, do you have the JC interview to hand? Id like to see the context. I hope he wasnt using it as an excuse! There was no excusing that performance really. We were beaten all over the park, and whether or not McNamee was under the weather shouldnt excuse that. I think Benno being missing was a big factor - once McNulty made the howler, Benno's calming influence was just what we needed. I was a bit disappointed with McCormack losing the head - game was over after 15 minutes.

There is another far more likely reason for JC's flu comment about McNamee:

He was spinning BS! (you have already alluded to the fact that Caulfield tends to be dishonest in post match interviews). It was most likely a simple selection choice - by reverting to his natural cautious instincts he selected Buckley instead of McNamee, but felt unable to say so

My guess is that this was the first Barry McNamee knew of having flu

Have I? You might be mixing me up with someone else there...

Ya, I also half-expected him to start Buckley rather than McNamee. I honestly dont know if McNamee had the flu or not. Might be JC bulshi**ing. Might not be. That's the best answer i can give you i'm afraid. What i can tell you 100% is that, if McNamee had the flu, he didnt initially catch it on Tuesday, and play the match on Friday. If he had the flu during the week, he would have caught it the previous weekend, or even before.

As to your initial question on my stance in relation to the "i had a bit of a flu 2 days ago, but now i'm grand" attitude, I stand by it. I dont think it is physically possible to contract the flu on a thursday and play a professional football match on the sunday. There may be people (any GPs on here) who can contradict me - if so, i'm happy to defer to their expertise. But for me, it's not possible. Not just in a football sense - if someone tells me they have the flu, and they arrive in work the following day, it also annoys me.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 pm

I wonder are we likely to hear any update on the investigation on the post match incident?

If the club are serious about tacking this sort of stuff, doing it in a public and transparent manner is surely the way ahead
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I note the club has put a "statement" up on its website which says individuals & associates have been identified as those behind last Friday's unsavoury events. Actions against these people are under way with the Gardai also to be involved. I hope the club take such action that those responsible will not be allowed back in Oriel Park, period. In fact, no club should permit their attendance going forward either. Oriel Park has to & must be a safe place for all of us to watch football.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Exactly. I was delighted to see that the Gardai are involved. Thugs end of story
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 pm

If I heard it correctly tonight, it was announced over the PA that 3 people have been banned from the ground as a result of the incident after the Cork match. That action, along with the clarifications given in the website statement are all very welcome.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby Sneachta » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 pm

Ezeikial wrote:If I heard it correctly tonight, it was announced over the PA that 3 people have been banned from the ground as a result of the incident after the Cork match. That action, along with the clarifications given in the website statement are all very welcome.
You heard correctly. Good news. Spoke to a Garda friend of mine that was working the game last week and tonight. He said they have their eyes on Dundalk supporters more than away supporters at games in oriel.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Well given that there could be up to 50 Dundalk fans for every away fan in Oriel you’d hope so.

I’ve seen a few of the bitter obsessives referring to the decider in 2014. With every passing year they make it sound more and more like Heysel.

Anyway I’m delighted with the club’s response and might just point out that it’s in stark contrast to a certain club who ignored their racist fans waved confederate flags at black players in Dalymount a few months back
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 am

It says banned for a significant period of time? They should be banned for life. No second chance. We don't need them or their sort in oriel park.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:It says banned for a significant period of time? They should be banned for life. No second chance. We don't need them or their sort in oriel park.

The objective of the punishment is to dissuade any other fan from every committing the same offence. It can be argued that an extreme sanction (lifetime ban is the most extreme a club can take) will scare others from committing a similar offence again.

However, it can also turn the three banned fans into martyrs and alienate their friends and peers from the club.

In my opinion, the punishment needs to be harsh, but perceived as fair.

I would favour a season long ban, with a warning that another serious offence will result in a a longer, perhaps lifetime, ban.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

Reasonable and well thought out points from White Horse

A season long ban is difficult to enforce, but a lifetime ban is close to impossible.

It is all very well to be seen to take a tough stance, but fair, appropriate and consistency from the club is probably more important. The record of the club over successive regimes is poor in this regard.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm

It would make a mockery of the club to take a stance that then is broken or not enforced. Season ban, volunteering with some aspect of the club after even. Some EFL clubs used to run awareness courses for fans who broke club rules (flares usually) or behaved in a manner that was of risk before any ban was lifted though dont know if it made any major difference tbh. There are a few upstanding older fans now that had their moments in younger days so if people banned earn their way back in to Oriel in the future so be it.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Much as I’d like to see them banned for the rest of the season at the very least remember that bans are difficult to impose without an electronic ticketing system and if they were seen the whole thing could become a joke. You can get into Oriel without anyone ever seeing your face. I’d ban them from buying season tickets, entering the bars in Oriel and purchasing tickets for anything through the club til the end of next season. Have to accept they’ll have buddies that will get round all that, but make it clear they’re not welcome and will be asked to leave if seen. I don’t think the club should apologise, but the club should facilitate all involved to write letters of apology themselves.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:42 pm

I think a ban for the rest of the season should suffice. I wouldn’t be going down the route of an apology but the club should make it completely clear that behaviour of this type will not be tolerated in any shape or form.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:42 pm

I see cork got another penalty today. Is that 3 in 3 consecutive matches now?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”