Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm

White Horse wrote:An apology should come from someone who did something wrong. I detest anaemic statements of regret for something committed by someone else.

Dundalk FC did not throw glasses at Cork supporters, yobs did.

The responsibility of Dundalk FC is to take action against the culprits. This is what they are doing.

While the club and it's supporters (including yobs) are not legally the same, most people see supporters as being an integral part of the club. Most supporters themselves feel the same way - it's not realistic to simply totally disassociate the two at times like this.

I don't know the details of what occurred, but it may also be incorrect to suggest that the club have no responsibility for what happened. How did these yobs get on to the away section with glass and bottles? Do the club not have a legal and moral duty to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of all who attend?

An apology does not have to be a legal admission of liability or even an admission of a deficiency in the clubs duty of care, but it can express a regret or concern for anyone who may have been negatively impacted.

If visitors to Oriel were attacked by yob-supporters of my club, I think an apology is highly appropriate, in addition to taking direct action against those responsible and trying to ensure there is no re-occurrance.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mujas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mujas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm

The statement is very non-committal and reads like responsibility was 50-50 between both sets of fans, which seems not to be the case.

On the match: how good is it to beat them convincingly?! :)
Scottie bit Macca's legs.....no reason

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Who allowed the door to be open? Where were the stewards and Gardai? Many questions need to be answered. To be quite honest it is unacceptable. We all complain about rovers. I do believe McNulty has caused the hostile atmosphere that currently surrounds this fixture but that should only go so far as a bit of verbal and a lot of booing. Some clown even tweeted he hopes he dies! If our security team are failing in their endeavours then they need to be professionally trained or replaced by professionals. The away end is a dump so the least you should expect from us is that you are safe in the away end. Those who threw the bottles and glasses should be banned from every ground in the country for life. But banning them is one thing, enforcing it is an entirely different matter.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 pm

The wording of the statement on the web-site is a little different to the one I saw on Twitter earlier.

"The Club is aware that following the victory against Cork last Friday evening, an incident occurred after the game involving a minority of Dundalk and Cork fans. This is currently being investigated by Dundalk FC and if any offending fans are subsequently identified as having been instrumental in the incident, the Club will take the appropriate action, it sees fit, against any offending fans.

The amazing atmosphere that existed throughout the game at Oriel Park on Friday reflected the passion, desire and energy each Lilywhites’ fan has to make 2018 another successful season. Fans and visitors need to know that coming to a match in a Dundalk, they will do so in a safe environment.
"

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Do you know what the statement on Twitter said - presumably the differences can't be all that you have put in bold?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Do you know what the statement on Twitter said - presumably the differences can't be all that you have put in bold?

The statement on the website added the words in bold below.

"The Club is aware that following the victory against Cork last Friday evening, an incident occurred after the game involving a minority of Dundalk and Cork fans. This is currently being investigated by Dundalk FC and if any offending fans are subsequently identified as having been instrumental in the incident, the Club will take the appropriate action, it sees fit, against any offending fans.

The amazing atmosphere that existed throughout the game at Oriel Park on Friday reflected the passion, desire and energy each Lilywhites’ fan has to make 2018 another successful season. Fans and visitors need to know that coming to a match in a Dundalk, they will do so in a safe environment."

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 am

As ever with these things people start to cast a wider net of blame that distracts from where the blame lies.

Flinging glasses or bottles or anything else at other people makes you a thug, end of.

I know there's a tendency to look at the club, the stewards and the Guards and so on. But for God's sake wouldn't it be nice to go to a football match without being treated like a potential criminal? Without being tarred in advance as a potential thug because of these scrotes? Yet that's what happens - *we* are tarnished as a football community. Of course there are lessons to learn for the club, but that shouldn't be the focus.

The people to blame are the people who did it. It's a pity they weren't arrested on the night. If they can be identified they should be named publicly and prosecuted, never mind banned for life.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

Life bans? When has the club ever enforced this. There have been fines for flares and flags in the past, those responsible still walk freely through the gates.
This will be no different.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 am

I'm a little disappointed with that statement. It seems to be pushing part of the blame on to the Cork fans. Would have been better not to say anything about their fans or our fans for that matter until the investigation is complete. There are plenty of cameras there so it wont be difficult to see what exactly happened and those involved.

Let's see if there is an appetite among the new owners to weed out the scum element as small as it is, or will it just remain the same as it has under previous owners, ignored.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Life bans? When has the club ever enforced this. There have been fines for flares and flags in the past, those responsible still walk freely through the gates.
This will be no different.

Flinging glasses/bottles on the terrace inside the ground is a *lot* worse. They can be charged with affray, which can include jail time.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am

El Paso wrote:As ever with these things people start to cast a wider net of blame that distracts from where the blame lies.

Flinging glasses or bottles or anything else at other people makes you a thug, end of.

I know there's a tendency to look at the club, the stewards and the Guards and so on. But for God's sake wouldn't it be nice to go to a football match without being treated like a potential criminal? Without being tarred in advance as a potential thug because of these scrotes? Yet that's what happens - *we* are tarnished as a football community. Of course there are lessons to learn for the club, but that shouldn't be the focus.

The people to blame are the people who did it. It's a pity they weren't arrested on the night. If they can be identified they should be named publicly and prosecuted, never mind banned for life.

I agree completely with you that the focus should be firmly on the thugs who instigated any attack on others.

However, if the club had the decency or cop-on to apologise / express regret / acknowledge that people may have been hurt or in fear, it would have been helpful in putting the focus where it belongs.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am

I was in the lilywhite post match on friday night. Heard a glass break and an ironic cheer at it as what would normally happen. I was over where the bar partition is so couldn't see what happened and assumed someone dropped a glass.
I used to smoke and I remember last season there were security guys always posted at the door to the away section until it was cleared. Obviously there wasnt one there or I didn't notice any.

I agree with elpaso. The isn't an act of divilment. Only by the grace of God that someone wasn't seriously hurt from the idiocy of a few.
If this happened outside oriel we would want the Mr. Buffoon Heads locked up.

From a dfc supporter pov it's very embarrassing and not up to standard with what we would expect if we were in ccfc shoes
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

However, if the club had the decency or cop-on to apologise / express regret / acknowledge that people may have been hurt or in fear, it would have been helpful in putting the focus where it belongs.

I agree generally with your sentiments Ez but the sad fact is that any type of apology / expressed regret could and would be used against the club. I expect our American overlords are fairly litigation conscious. I hope they are suitably horrified and pushing to weed out the scum

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm

El Paso wrote:As ever with these things people start to cast a wider net of blame that distracts from where the blame lies.

Couldn't agree more. My only hope is that the club sorts this whole episode out quickly & that there can never be a repeat. Hopefully we can all get back to talking about Dundalk FC in the football sence. 3 points tonight please.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm

John Caulfield is comedy gold in this Irish Examiner interview

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 68194.html

Would Dundalk fans be a little quieter when Conor McCormack is on the ball in future games - it is obviously very upsetting for him!

Return to “General Discussion”