Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 9 Mar | 8pm | Oriel Park

Postby White Horse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 pm

McCormack must wish that Caulfield shuts up.

It must be humiliating have your manager present you as a lightweight and a snowflake who is not able to compete in a competitive environment.

muppet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby muppet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Ezeikial wrote:John Caulfield is comedy gold in this Irish Examiner interview

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 68194.html

Would Dundalk fans be a little quieter when Conor McCormack is on the ball in future games - it is obviously very upsetting for him!

He complains about a hostile atmosphere at Oriel and then calls for a hostile atmosphere tonight at Turners Cross. He’s great for an oul laugh anyway.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Also fair play to him guaranteeing McCormack to start in every match this season !

If Caulfield couldn't deal with the hostile atmosphere of 3,500 how is he going to fare in front of say 25k+ away in the CL in July?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Ezeikial wrote:John Caulfield is comedy gold in this Irish Examiner interview

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 68194.html

Would Dundalk fans be a little quieter when Conor McCormack is on the ball in future games - it is obviously very upsetting for him!

On the one hand he says oriel was a very hostile atmosphere yet he then goes on to say that he wants a hostile atmosphere in Turner cross tonight for the game v rovers. You couldn't make it up could you? Does he actually realise what he just said? Plus bottom line there was never an atmosphere on or off the pitch prior to McNulty with his infamous "fcuk the lilywhites they're fcuking shit" chant. So to be fair McNulty has incited the crowd and brought this atmosphere to the games. The fai and cork should have had words with him over it.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm

SHIELDS SAVOURS VICTORY OVER TITLE RIVALS

http://www.dundalkfc.com/shields-savour ... le-rivals/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Who allowed the door to be open? Where were the stewards and Gardai? Many questions need to be answered. To be quite honest it is unacceptable. We all complain about rovers. I do believe McNulty has caused the hostile atmosphere that currently surrounds this fixture but that should only go so far as a bit of verbal and a lot of booing. Some clown even tweeted he hopes he dies! If our security team are failing in their endeavours then they need to be professionally trained or replaced by professionals. The away end is a dump so the least you should expect from us is that you are safe in the away end. Those who threw the bottles and glasses should be banned from every ground in the country for life. But banning them is one thing, enforcing it is an entirely different matter.

McNulty has added a bit of bite to the occasion. that's true. But these issues have been happening ever since the bandwagon joined your club in 2014. Nobody blames decent dundalk fans (who have stuck with the club through triple-digit average attendances) for the behaviour of the little scuts who through golf balls at us in 2014.

But the reality is that we were penned in that night by amateurish stewards who were more concerned with us than the little teenage scuts firing golf balls at us.

Dundalk FC, as a club and a legal entity, has consistently failed in its duty of care towards away fans. It is only a matter of time before something very serious happens, leading to litigation. I would be very worried if i were a dundalk fan (or one of the yanks that owns the club) as its the sort of litigation that could bankrput the club. Not sure you're insurance would even cover it, given the level of neglect (the insurance company would probably find some clause in the insurance contract requiring dundalk to maintain certain minimum health and safety standards).

Apart from the moral aspect (it's not just young fellas in the away section, but people with small kids), dundalk fans should be concerned about the potential legal aspect. The fact that it is an ongoing neglect would really sit badly with any court.

It's one thing dwelling on what has happened; its another thing entirely sorting it out in the future. The club has the money - hiring a proper contractor, and get proper procedures in place. And get the away section up to scratch. it's a death trap. It wont cost millions of euro - i'm sure a contractor can sort something out for tens of thousands.

I certainly wont be back in dundalk unless the situation is addressed, and i know others with the same attitude. The real dundalk fans will know that leaner times will come when the extra few bob from away fans is the difference between keeping the lights on and not.

On the football side of things, Dundalk were well worth their 3 points. Solid at the back, and hoban/murray/duffy had very good games. We had a number of players who didnt show up on the night, but cant have any complaints about the result.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Kartoffel

Good to see you back on this forum. I think most agree that the safety of visitors is important.

While you are here, I would be interested if your views on recovery from flu have changed in the light of John Caulfields comments that Barry McNamee had the flu during the week?

This is what you posted here previously -

Kartoffel wrote:Interesting revelation that Adorjan has the flu. He played 90 minutes of professional football on wednesday evening, so must have caught the flu at the earliest while in bed wednesday night. Recovering from the flu in the space of 3 days to the point when you are fit enough to start a professional football match would be nothing short of miraculous (i caught the flu on 2nd/3rd Feb, and am only now getting back to 100%).
Either:
1 - he didnt have the flu, but this is just the usual "oh i had a bit of a flu" talk that you hear from people who miss work for 1 day and clearly just had a cold; or
2 - he actually did have the flu, but was lucky enough to make a very speedy recovery, and then 5 days before the start of the season, his manager decided that, rather then letting him rest up for an extra day or 2 to get his energy levels back (even if it meant playing an U-19 instead), he would send him out to run around in arctic conditions for what is essentially a friendly.

Either option seems baffling to me.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Hi Kartoffel

Good to see you back on this forum. I think most agree that the safety of visitors is important.

While you are here, I would be interested if your views on recovery from flu have changed in the light of John Caulfields comments that Barry McNamee had the flu during the week?

This is what you posted here previously -

Kartoffel wrote:Interesting revelation that Adorjan has the flu. He played 90 minutes of professional football on wednesday evening, so must have caught the flu at the earliest while in bed wednesday night. Recovering from the flu in the space of 3 days to the point when you are fit enough to start a professional football match would be nothing short of miraculous (i caught the flu on 2nd/3rd Feb, and am only now getting back to 100%).
Either:
1 - he didnt have the flu, but this is just the usual "oh i had a bit of a flu" talk that you hear from people who miss work for 1 day and clearly just had a cold; or
2 - he actually did have the flu, but was lucky enough to make a very speedy recovery, and then 5 days before the start of the season, his manager decided that, rather then letting him rest up for an extra day or 2 to get his energy levels back (even if it meant playing an U-19 instead), he would send him out to run around in arctic conditions for what is essentially a friendly.

Either option seems baffling to me.

I didnt see JC make the comment. But my response is straightforward. Nobody contracts the flu and plays a professional football match at the level of intensity of a City-Dundalk game 2-3 days later.

So, one of 2 options:
1. We didnt have a match for 11 days. Maybe JC was referring to a situation where McNamee contracted the flu last weekend or even earlier, and was still suffering during the week (in other words, he still "had the flu" during the week), and just about recovered in time for Friday night (which would be about a 5-6 day period from initial contraction to playing the match, or possibly more); or
2. If JC were actually suggesting that McNamee "contracted" the flu during the week, then he would be engaging in that incredibly annoying "oh i had a bit of flu for 2 days but now i'm okay" talk.

However, the fact that there was 11 days between matches, i would assume it was the first case (unlike the suggestion of SK that Adorjan played 90 mins of professional football on the wednesday, contracted the flu thursday, and played another professional football match Sunday.

Out of interest, do you have the JC interview to hand? Id like to see the context. I hope he wasnt using it as an excuse! There was no excusing that performance really. We were beaten all over the park, and whether or not McNamee was under the weather shouldnt excuse that. I think Benno being missing was a big factor - once McNulty made the howler, Benno's calming influence was just what we needed. I was a bit disappointed with McCormack losing the head - game was over after 15 minutes.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm

See the JC post match interview link above. Also on Cork Twitter

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Kartoffel wrote:We were beaten all over the park, and whether or not McNamee was under the weather shouldnt excuse that. I think Benno being missing was a big factor - once McNulty made the howler, Benno's calming influence was just what we needed. I was a bit disappointed with McCormack losing the head - game was over after 15 minutes.

Fair assessment.

There is one other factor. Different tactics.

Corks excellent performances against Dundalk last season were helped by Cork closing Dundalk down quickly as they played out from the back. Cork usually identified one player to press in numbers, usually either Gartland or Shields. Forcing them into errors and them breaking at speed.

However, on Friday night Dundalk went long to Hoban who had a field day against Corks two centre backs. Would he have done as well against Bennett? Probably not.

The best thing for the development of both teams are highly competitive games like last Friday. There is little gained by beating teams at a canter.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 pm

A Cork fan trying to have a dig about bangwagons!!!!!!

How's your own bandwagon going? less than 2k average in 2013 to 3.7K in 2014 when you put in a challenge!
or 2.5k in 2016 to 4.5k in 2017!!!

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Shoco wrote:A Cork fan trying to have a dig about bangwagons!!!!!!

How's your own bandwagon going? less than 2k average in 2013 to 3.7K in 2014 when you put in a challenge!

Yes our attendance during the most successful season in the club's history was more than twice the attendance during the worst spell in the club's history, when the club was still working hard to win back it's reputation in the community after the whole arkaga/tom coughlan debacle. Prior to that, we had plenty of seasons where the attendance was 3000-3500. And the 4.5k is probably something we'll never manage again. Be delighted with more than 4k this year.

If you want to play that game, in 2006 you had an average of 474 people through the gate. 474.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:58 pm

That is what is wrong with this league. People complaining about bandwagon supporters. Ffs we all started off at some stage. Embrace it welcome them take their money. Be thankful that they had a bandwagon to jump on.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I see some supporters of Cork’s 13th attempt at maintaining a football club, which itself has gone bankrupt twice in the last 25 years and had to abandon its home ground to rent one to survive, have some advice for us.

Maybe the FAI through the Munster FA will do up our away section for you?
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 am

Kartoffel wrote:
Shoco wrote:A Cork fan trying to have a dig about bangwagons!!!!!!

Yes our attendance during the most successful season in the club's history was more than twice the attendance during the worst spell in the club's history, when the club was still working hard to win back it's reputation in the community after the whole arkaga/tom coughlan debacle. Prior to that, we had plenty of seasons where the attendance was 3000-3500. And the 4.5k is probably something we'll never manage again. Be delighted with more than 4k this year.

If you want to play that game, in 2006 you had an average of 474 people through the gate. 474.

Actually your attendance in "the most successful season in the club's history" was almost twice that of the season before were you finished 2nd and won the cup. That is a bandwagon no matter what way you want to try and dress it up.

2017 4559
2016 2533

Now if you only want to talk shite, then do it somewhere else

Return to “General Discussion”