Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 6 Apr | 7:30pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 6 Apr | 7:30pm | Oriel Pk

Postby mike » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Yep totally agree on Finn, I was only thinking same on the way to the game on Friday. He moved for financial not football reasons and as a result his career will almost certainly suffer. 2 leagues, 1 cup and EL group stages with us, versus 4th last year with Rovers and currently same position.

I was actually more disappointed losing him than Horgan and Boyle, as you knew good chance the latter two would go and you would never stand in a players way for a move to England.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

mike wrote:I was actually more disappointed losing him than Horgan and Boyle, as you knew good chance the latter two would go and you would never stand in a players way for a move to England.

Are you kidding?

Of course the club should and would prevent a player moving to England if that was possible and desirable. Do you think the club would let Horgan, Boyle, Towell or McEleney go on a free transfer if they were in contract?

It may well be that there was an error in not trying to resolve a contract for Ronan Finn much earlier in the 2016 season - that he may well have accepted. Perhaps that is why Stephen Kenny has had discussions with the owners about new player contracts already.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Horgan and Boyle were never going to sign a new contract and Dundalk were never going to be able to match even half what PNE offered so both were always going.

If we had them on longer contracts, different story entirely.

With Finn, also out of contract but we should and could have prevented him from moving as this was within the league.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm

mike wrote:Horgan and Boyle were never going to sign a new contract and Dundalk were never going to be able to match even half what PNE offered so both were always going.

If we had them on longer contracts, different story entirely.

With Finn, also out of contract but we should and could have prevented him from moving as this was within the league.

Mike - I think you may have misunderstood my comments.

I am not suggesting that it was feasible to hold on to Horgan and Boyle in the contractual circumstances that existed. I am saying that your comment that the club "would never stand in a players way for a move to England" is completely wrong.

The club should always be looking after the best interests of the club as a number one priority, and if that means blocking a move to England for a contracted player because it is unattractive for the club, that is precisely what should be done

If a player is out of contract and wants to move to another club, whether it is to another club in this league to the UK or elsewhere, we can try to dissuade them but cannot prevent them
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Blocking a move for a player that wants to leave is not always in the best interests of any club, you are just left with an unhappy player who doesn't want to be there

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Shoco wrote:Blocking a move for a player that wants to leave is not always in the best interests of any club, you are just left with an unhappy player who doesn't want to be there

Agreed, but it is up to the club management to decide what is in the best interests of the club on a case by case basis.

That is very different consideration from adopting a standard position of never standing in a players way for a move to England. If that was the case there would never be a fair transfer fee paid for a player under contract. Ditto for the UEFA stipulated training compensation fees for players under 23

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Following his MOTM performance against Rovers, Robbie Benson features in this RTE website article and the Soccer Republic Podcast, which is linked in the article

Success all part of the equation for razor-sharp Robbie Benson

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/04 ... rp-benson/

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Mike - I think you may have misunderstood my comments.

If a player is out of contract and wants to move to another club, whether it is to another club in this league to the UK or elsewhere, we can try to dissuade them but cannot prevent them

Maybe I did, but good point on above, and a good move to hear the new owners talking about getting players on much longer contracts, Gannon being the prime example with 3 years.

Return to “General Discussion”