Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 6 Apr | 7:30pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Big match with a slightly earlier kick off time for TV.

Beating Rovers at any time is good, beating them this Friday could possibly put us on top of the table with Cork going to Waterford.

Bring it on!

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 6 Apr | 7:30pm | Oriel Pk

Postby seand » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Rovers have plenty of attacking threat with Finn, Miele, Burke but it's hard to see their defence coping with our attack.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

seand wrote:Rovers have plenty of attacking threat with Finn, Miele, Burke but it's hard to see their defence coping with our attack.

Midfield is their key strength with Greg Bolger or Dave McAllister adding defensive backbone to complement the 3 you mentioned above. Sean Kavanagh also seems to be doing very well for them in midfield and Joel Coustrain and Aaron Bolger are also options.

Defence is where they really struggle. Horgan was back in goals for their last league match against Sligo - neither him nor Chencinski are convincing and Grace is the nearest they have to a decent defender. Boyle, Gilchirst, Lopez, and Byrne are all accidents waiting to happen.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:46 pm

The key is whether we will be able to get at their back four or get bogged down in the middle of the park. I expect them to park the bus and try to hit us on the counter.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 6 Apr | 7:30pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Sneachta » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
seand wrote:Rovers have plenty of attacking threat with Finn, Miele, Burke but it's hard to see their defence coping with our attack.

Midfield is their key strength with Greg Bolger or Dave McAllister adding defensive backbone to complement the 3 you mentioned above. Sean Kavanagh also seems to be doing very well for them in midfield and Joel Coustrain and Aaron Bolger are also options.

Defence is where they really struggle. Horgan was back in goals for their last league match against Sligo - neither him nor Chencinski are convincing and Grace is the nearest they have to a decent defender. Boyle, Gilchirst, Lopez, and Byrne are all accidents waiting to happen.
They have joey obrien in their arsenal also. Already mentioned, who will sk pick to command in midfield. Finn wasn't playing the last day. I'm gonna go with 1-0 dominant dundalk or 0-0 stalemate. Would love a 3/4-0 tanking. That could worth a wee 2euro flutter.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Trevor Clarke is a massive loss for Rovers. However, they still have quite a few very capable players and will pose a serious threat to our perfect defensive start. Once again a home match will depend on how early the first goal is scored. If we take an early lead, I honestly believe we can take them for 4 or 5.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Sneachta wrote:They have joey obrien in their arsenal also.

I think he's gone to Lourdes

He has made only one league start (subbed off against Cork) and has made the bench for only a handful of games.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Krisztián Adorján talks about gaining fitness and confidence

“Shamrock Rovers were the first team that I played against here in Ireland and they were very physical and it was a tough game when we drew there.

“I expect a good game because Shamrock Rovers are our rivals so hopefully we can come out on top.”

http://www.dundalkfc.com/adorjan-gaining-confidence/

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:07 pm

O'Donnell being fit to start will make a big difference imo. Finn has not responded that well to the the friction there since he left us and Skip knows how to get at him and disrupt his game, Finn looked a bit scared of O'Donnell at times during games last season! Keeping Burke quiet too as he does have that abilty to produce something from nothing. Rovers can be got at defensively and between injuries and suspensions will have a bit of a cobbled together defence which was suspect anyway and either of their keepers wouldnt inspire confidence.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Derek Tomney is the ref.

While Rovers were not as overtly physical in the 0-0 match in Tallaght compared to some of the encounters last season (3 or 4 red cards in those matches?), I expect that they will revert to type on Friday night. Tomney may be in for a busy night and how he referees the match could have a significant bearing on it.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Other than Hoare and Rogers coming back in if fit, I can't see Kenny making any other changes. Very hard to change a winning side and while I have been critical of Benson he has been part of that, hopefully he dominates on Friday.

Without Hoare and Rogers though I have my worries, neither Folan or Sava fill me with confidence, both capable of being excellent but also capable of blunders!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

magarnagle wrote:Other than Hoare and Rogers coming back in if fit, I can't see Kenny making any other changes. Very hard to change a winning side

There is also the question of Ronan Murray. Will he displace Krisztián Adorján if he is fit?

I agree with you that SK can be reluctant to make changes - but he did parachute Sean Hoare back into the side after injury for the Cork game!

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
magarnagle wrote:Other than Hoare and Rogers coming back in if fit, I can't see Kenny making any other changes. Very hard to change a winning side

There is also the question of Ronan Murray. Will he displace Krisztián Adorján if he is fit?

I agree with you that SK can be reluctant to make changes - but he did parachute Sean Hoare back into the side after injury for the Cork game!

Good point, forgot about Murray. He has disappointed somewhat following his pre season form

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:56 pm

magarnagle wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Good point, forgot about Murray. He has disappointed somewhat following his pre season form
I would have to disagree with you on Murray. He has been full of energy and endeavour when he has played. Creating a beautiful chance for hoban in the Waterford game with a peach of a cross that we lacked that night. He can count himself unlucky to have been dropped. He had done absolutely nothing wrong. But neither did good replacement Kristian. It's such an exciting squad of players.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am

Did SK not indicate that Rogers would be out for a number of weeks after the Bohs game?

There will be some selection headaches alright, especially if Hoare is fit, I thought when he came in v Cork he did brilliantly but it was incredibly tough on Folan who had played in a unit that also didn't concede and done well too. Adjoran will be another, he did very well v Bohs for 70 mins or so. With O’Donnell, you just don’t know what SK’s thinking is, will he risk starting him then have to tinker with how we currently line up in the middle, or is he better coming on for the last 15 or 20?

One player flying slight under the radar is Jamie McGrath, he really had an excellent match v Bohs and offers a lot of options to us on the right and in the attacking roles.

PS I think Murray was injured v Bohs, I`m sure he was wasn’t in the squad.

Return to “General Discussion”