SWAI Player of the Month awards 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

SWAI Player of the Month awards 2018

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Two Dundalk players are among the six nominations for the Soccer Writers Association of Ireland award for March Player of the Month:

Gary Rogers
Michael Duffy
Graham Burke
Courtney Duffus
Aaron McEnuff
Kieran Sadlier

Winner to be decided next week

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: SWAI Player of the Month awards 2018

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm

This is the second successive month Kieran Sadlier has been nominated. Dan Cleary was also a nomination.

The February winner was Graham Cummins

Other nominations were Dan Casey (Bohs), Bastien Hery (Waterford) and Ger Doherty (Derry City)
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mr-toyota
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby mr-toyota » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Dan cleary should be in the nomination 8 games and 8 clean sheets for a player that never played in the league before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SUPPORT THE DFC TRUST AND PATRON SCHEME http://www.dundalkfc.com/membership.asp

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Ezeikial wrote:This is the second successive month Kieran Sadlier has been nominated. Dan Cleary was also a nomination.

Do you think he deserves the nomination?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Kezz wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:This is the second successive month Kieran Sadlier has been nominated. Dan Cleary was also a nomination.

I have no doubt that Dan Cleary deserves the nomination - being the standout defender in a team that went through 5 leagues games in March without conceding a goal.

As for Kieran Sadlier, I have only seen him once in March, when he was good in parts against Dundalk in Oriel Park, even if he had little overall impact on the game. On the face of it, there appears to be a decent case for his nomination, based on scoring 4 goals in the five league games, including a spectacular effort against Bray.

On closer examination, it is apparent that 3 of those goals were penos while arguably the goal against Bray should have been saved. As far as I am aware Sadlier was the Cork MOTM in only one of those games while he was also subbed off in 2 of them. Overall, there is probably a reasonable case, though hardly an overwhelming one, for his nomination.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:10 am

I hope Dan Cleary gets ignored and flys under the radar for 3/4 years like Andy Boyle. Something tells me that with Liverpool and Birmingham on his CV he wont be long coming to the attention of English clubs. A superb prospect.
Defenders do take longer to get noticed tho. I have no doubt Sean Gannon could comfortably play in League 1 like Richie Towell.

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Kezz wrote:

I have no doubt that Dan Cleary deserves the nomination - being the standout defender in a team that went through 5 leagues games in March without conceding a goal.

As for Kieran Sadlier, I have only seen him once in March, when he was good in parts against Dundalk in Oriel Park, even if he had little overall impact on the game. On the face of it, there appears to be a decent case for his nomination, based on scoring 4 goals in the five league games, including a spectacular effort against Bray.

On closer examination, it is apparent that 3 of those goals were penos while arguably the goal against Bray should have been saved. As far as I am aware Sadlier was the Cork MOTM in only one of those games while he was also subbed off in 2 of them. Overall, there is probably a reasonable case, though hardly an overwhelming one, for his nomination.

Sadlier has been our stand out player by a large distance. He scored 2 against Bray BTW. Being top of the league, they were always going to give us one nomination, Sadlier is the right call, hes a cracking player. He tends to be subbed off when the game is over, not to make a change to impact the game.

None of our players performed against you though so I'm not surprised ye wouldn't have been impressed.

I'd imagine one of ye're defense /keeper will win it though, to acknowledge the clean sheet record.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: SWAI Player of the Month awards 2018

Postby Sneachta » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 am

None of our players performed against you though so I'm not surprised ye wouldn't have been impressed.

Rephrase to, none of your players were allowed to perform against us.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

Anyway, Sadlier's clearly one of the top players in the league, Burke has scored a shedload for a mediocre side and defenders rarely win these things. If the rest of the world would like to ignore Cleary in particular that's find by me.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:41 am

I think in most other months Sadlier would have got the media’s (who vote on this) shout on getting the POTM for March. He may have been ineffective v us but he was decent in a lot of other games and he did stand out.

However Rogers has to be favourite given not only the clean sheets in March but zero goals against in total also, so I would expect him to get a slightly higher vote and to win it.

PS I'd love if we had a look at getting one of the other nominees in on the summer window, maybe Derry will look to offload at a discounted price in July?

Aaron McEneff, what a player he is.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 am

micls wrote:Sadlier has been our stand out player by a large distance. He scored 2 against Bray BTW. Being top of the league, they were always going to give us one nomination, Sadlier is the right call, hes a cracking player. He tends to be subbed off when the game is over, not to make a change to impact the game.

I'd imagine one of ye're defense /keeper will win it though, to acknowledge the clean sheet record.

There are conflicting reports about whether McLaughlin or Sadlier got the third goal against Bray. If it was credited to Sadlier that's an impressive return of 5 from 5 matches, even if 3 were penalties.

My guess is that there is limited interest in him in this forum - by all means create a thread in Non-Dundalk Talk if you think it appropriate

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: SWAI Player of the Month awards 2018

Postby micls » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Sneachta wrote:None of our players performed against you though so I'm not surprised ye wouldn't have been impressed.

Rephrase to, none of your players were allowed to perform against us.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Nonsense. Even when completely unchallenged in possession we kicked the ball away. You played well, sure, but by no means is that an excuse for the complete lack of turning up by our lads.

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
micls wrote:Sadlier has been our stand out player by a large distance. He scored 2 against Bray BTW. Being top of the league, they were always going to give us one nomination, Sadlier is the right call, hes a cracking player. He tends to be subbed off when the game is over, not to make a change to impact the game.

There are conflicting reports about whether McLaughlin or Sadlier got the third goal against Bray. If it was credited to Sadlier that's an impressive return of 5 from 5 matches, even if 3 were penalties.

My guess is that there is limited interest in him in this forum - by all means create a thread in Non-Dundalk Talk if you think it appropriate

It was Sadlier. I was just replying to your post to clarify and expand on what you said. I think the original poster was asking about Cleary, not Sadlier.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm

In their wisdom the soccer writer members of the SWAI have voted Graham Burke as Player of the Month for March on the back of his six goals that month

Gary Rogers finished second in the voting while Waterford striker Courtney Duffus was third.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Hopefully Bastien Hery will win it for April. Anybody who puts Caulfield on his arse like that deserves an award

Return to “General Discussion”