St Patricks Ath V Dundalk | Mon 9 Apr | 7:45pm | EA Sports Cup | Refixed Match

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Re: St Patricks Ath V Dundalk | Mon 9 Apr | 7:45pm | EA Sports Cup | Refixed Match

Postby 0rl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Wexford White wrote:Not much good: Folan, Jarvis.
Debatable: Tagbajumi, Poynton.
Complete dud: Connolly, Byrne.

Great game to watch if you were neutral. For us fans, squeaky bum time.

Hi WW, is that based on the season so far or just what you saw last night?

I wasnt there last night but what i saw of Byrne in the other games he featured in he had some good attributes but needs to get fit.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: St Patricks Ath V Dundalk | Mon 9 Apr | 7:45pm | EA Sports Cup | Refixed Match

Postby Wexford White » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

I refer to last night, but come to think of it it could also refer to the season so far
The Back of the Wall

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm

When I saw the lineup I was excited and thought we would have a convincing win but it was anything but. The only player that I thought played consistently well was Gartland, very good for someone who hasn't played this season.

Some played well in patches, Marco, Murray, O'Donnell, Jarvis, Poynton

Others were very poor, Folan, Mountney, Connolly, Byrne

The most striking thing for me was the fitness and how quickly we ran out of legs. Mountney in particular who is usually a live wire was dead on his feet after an hour. Maybe the pitch was a lot heavier than it looked but it didn't seem to affect Pats the same way.

The subs made an impact and it showed a gulf in fitness between the two 11s.

Based on last night with the exception of Gartland, none of the starting 11 would push for a place in the regular 11 barring injuries and suspensions

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Marco on his first full game and first goal:

TAGBAJUMI: I’M READY

“We had a lot of players coming back from injury and I hadn’t played a full 90 minutes myself since November – so it was good to finally start a game and really get out there.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/tagbajumi-im-ready/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Nice reward for last nights effort.

The EA SPORTS Cup Quarter Final draw;

Cobh Ramblers V Shamrock Rovers/Longford Town

Dundalk V Bohemians

Sligo Rovers V Waterford/Cork City

Derry City V Shelbourne/Drogheda United

Monday 7th May (BH) I believe.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Likely last four?

Shamrock Rovers
Dundalk
Cork (or Waterford)
Derry City
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Are we home or away to bohs

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Sneachta wrote:Are we home or away to bohs

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Home
The games will be played on 7 / 8 May.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/04 ... er-finals/

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 am

Not getting a particularly easy run. Drogheda/Shels at home would have been the plum draw to get a good crowd and a slightly easier game. Should still have too much for Bohs and the the wider squad will have improved match fitness especially those who tired 2nd half last night.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Is this a direct criticism of some of the players or simply a normal situation for players returning from injury?
If players are slacking on the fitness work or lifestyle/nutrition and SK is saying this publicly, what is he saying in private?

Does SK have a role here to organise more friendlies?

Has Graham Byrne working with Louth GAA had any impact?

MUST DO BETTER Dundalk boss Stephen Kenny says some players need to get sharper to make his first-choice team

Kenny said: “We’ve a lot of players who haven’t played matches and it showed. There is no doubt some players have some work to do to get up to the level we’re at and need to be at.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/24 ... oice-team/

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Is this a direct criticism of some of the players or simply a normal situation for players returning from injury?
If players are slacking on the fitness work or lifestyle/nutrition and SK is saying this publicly, what is he saying in private?

Does SK have a role here to organise more friendlies?

Has Graham Byrne working with Louth GAA had any impact?

MUST DO BETTER Dundalk boss Stephen Kenny says some players need to get sharper to make his first-choice team

Kenny said: “We’ve a lot of players who haven’t played matches and it showed. There is no doubt some players have some work to do to get up to the level we’re at and need to be at.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/24 ... oice-team/

Graham Byrne only did one evening a week with the squad last season, so I doubt his work with Louth has any impact.

Maybe it's more to do with the manager rarely changing his team, that the players with little game time struggled the other night

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head. SK has liked to work with squads of 16/17. We must have a squad of 21/22 and rotation needs yo be considered if we want to prime from July to November
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:37 am

Johnny Guitar wrote:I think you have hit the nail on the head. SK has liked to work with squads of 16/17. We must have a squad of 21/22 and rotation needs yo be considered if we want to prime from July to November

Stephen Kenny has always been slow to make changes in his starting line-up - even through the incredibly demand end of season schedule in 2016. This season we have a squad of 24 excluding u-19's compared to about 21 at the same stage last season. There was no indication previously of fitness issues to the extent that appeared to exist throughout the side last Monday,

In many ways the slightly larger squad size lends itself to being easier able to field a second string team in friendlies or behind-closed-doors practice games

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Clearly it was Kenny's decision to work with a larger squad this season. As per Ez I wonder how much of that was to do with have two XIs for training. It should mean we have backup and competition for each position

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 am

Thought Poynton was ok but id agree with the rest above. At least Sava saved one out of 9. Game changed when Madden came on. Markey for Pats was brilliant.
In Kenny we Trust

Return to “General Discussion”