Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 20 Apr | 7:45 | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 20 Apr | 7:45 | Oriel Park

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Disappointing result in the end. Derry were good, but not as good as I expected. Poor mistakes for the Derry goals.
O'Donnell not yet up to speed and made a couple of uncharacteristic errors. Ref had a mare but Skip should have got a straight red for his challenge. It was a desperate lunge.
Connolly and Marco were wasted substitutions. Murray surely a better option than either of those.
Mountney I thought was excellent and Gannons run for our second goal was superb. Once Dylan Connolly comes on, Ganno no longer makes those runs.
Ger Doherty pulled off at least two top saves. How did he avoid a booking for wasting 3/4 minutes?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 pm

First half we should have been out of sight. Soft penalty but it was a penalty. And poor defending for their 2nd. Thought the decision to take Mountney off was the wrong one. He was getting a lot of joy down his side of the pitch and put in some tremendous crosses. Tale of 2 halves. We didn't come out 2nd half. Hard to play against 12 men. Ref was shocking and seemed either oblivious or afraid to book Doherty for blatant time wasting every time he got a goal kick. While they probably deserved a draw although again if we had taken our chances it could have been a comfortable victory for us, I thought Derry were ok. Nothing special but when they drew level especially towards the end of game, they did keep trying to attack us instead of sitting back so they deserve credit for that! It's disappointing as it is 2 points dropped and we go to cork level as opposed to 2 points clear but a point in cork next week will be an outstanding result imho. what the hell was Kenny Shields on?!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby punkha » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Doherty was clever as he was already booked he knew the ref was extremely unlikely to book him again and having to send him off for time wasting.
Agree the two subs offered nothing no real suprise there especially with Connolly. Strange even taking Hoban off but if Murray was fit he has to get a run out.
2 points dropped really after starting like a train we just didnt create enough second half.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Disappointing result, 1-0 up then 2-1 up you should be seeing these type of games out. It was a very avoidable 2 points dropped I thought.

Lack of ideas in the second half was frustrating, as was the use of subs, what is happening with Ronan Murray? If he is fit I’d be starting him v Cork to freshen things up. Marco offered virtually nothing when he came on so we are operating with one striker at the minute.

Not the end of the world, but losing a two point lead is sloppy especially after a home match.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 pm

That felt like a loss tonight.

It's a game we really should have won

I don't see any positive future at the club for Marco Tagbajumi and Dylan Connolly based on what they have shown so far this season, but obviously SK sees something that is not apparent to others
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 pm

That assumes that SK chose Marco in the first place. Without being a dick about it I’d love to hear the thinking behind Connolly’s signing. Don’t even see how his supposed strengths are supposed to compliment us. Also Murray is another strange one. Thought he’d be our star man by now

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm

El Paso wrote:That assumes that SK chose Marco in the first place.

It was certainly his choice to put him on for Hoban tonight. It's easy to say in hindsight, but surely Ronan Murray was more likely to get the goal we sought

El Paso wrote: Without being a dick about it I’d love to hear the thinking behind Connolly’s signing. Don’t even see how his supposed strengths are supposed to compliment us. Also Murray is another strange one

Whatever about Tabbajumi, it was clearly SK who made the decision to sign Connolly.

Stephen Kenny has a special ability in this area of recruitment and his record is remarkable, but I am not optimistic on these two
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Vending10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vending10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 pm

Just on a little side note, the music before and during , half time is awful .

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 am

We reverted tonight to lumping the ball in to the box last quarter of the game or looking for killer balls from deep. We had rediscovered playing composed stuff to the final whistle better this season but tonight was a step back on that. First half hour it looked like a 'by how many' game. Be interesting what Shiels has to say on everything!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:15 am

Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:That assumes that SK chose Marco in the first place.

It was certainly his choice to put him on for Hoban tonight. It's easy to say in hindsight, but surely Ronan Murray was more likely to get the goal we sought

El Paso wrote: Without being a dick about it I’d love to hear the thinking behind Connolly’s signing. Don’t even see how his supposed strengths are supposed to compliment us. Also Murray is another strange one

Whatever about Tabbajumi, it was clearly SK who made the decision to sign Connolly.

Stephen Kenny has a special ability in this area of recruitment and his record is remarkable, but I am not optimistic on these two

Yeah but that’s what I’m getting at - SK clearly chased Connolly, I just never got why and would like to know the precise thinking.

A number of us have said that we’ve put all our eggs in the Hoban basket. I’m just curious how we ended up with Marco. How did that work?

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:27 am

Vending10 wrote:Just on a little side note, the music before and during , half time is awful .

I was sick of Mickey Duffy a few years ago but he seems to be getting worse and worse. The music and comments are embarrassing
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 am

Ezeikial wrote:I don't see any positive future at the club for Marco Tagbajumi and Dylan Connolly based on what they have shown so far this season, but obviously SK sees something that is not apparent to others

Two absolutely baffling substitutions. Neither have done anything to show any inkling that they could be match winners. Plus both Mountney and Hoben were playing well and both capable of a moment of magic to open up Derry defense.

We all love Kenny and he's one of ours and the leagues greatest ever managers but those decisions show he's human after all.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 am

Right at the final whistle, I mean immediately, there was a disgruntled boo from the stand. For the ref or the team? My immediate reaction was team because it was a frustrating second half. My also immediate reaction was "shut the f##k up".

Anyone else hear?

It was a sign of desperation from Kenny to try and win it. He ended up with Connolly and Marco in the middle. There is no chemistry between the two. They've never played together in that position or anything, running across each other and getting in each others way.

Lots of people saying Derry are not that good, maybe as they didn't create a huge amount going forward but they were definitely a threat on the ball all the time. We did not look comfortable closing then down. Mceneff, Curtis and Hayle are absolute quality footballers. I am so impressed with the amount of players Derry have produced in the last number of years, now playing at lots of different clubs. Yet they are still competing.

I thought O'Donnell's game had run its course 10 minutes before he was subbed and Dane Massey's form is a huge concern for me. Kenny is perhaps thinking of the games ahead in rotating the starting line up, but based on form, shields was my man for the middle. So disappointed not to see Ronan Murray on. One of my favourite players in early season matches. Haven't seen a peep since his injury.

I thought Kenny shiels comments regarding buying frees was hilarious considering the amount that went Derry's way last night. The man is a full on pantomime.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 am

The substitution of Mountney & Hoban were indeed very strange. I thought Mountney was our best player last night, Connolly bar one good cross offered nothing else. I made my comments on Marco very clear on this forum after the Limerick match, I saw nothing last night to change my mind.

The way we started & our flow of play & possession, we should have been out of sight. Credit to Derry, they really got a boost when level at 2-2, we didn't get going at all after that. Gannon had a poor run but I'm sure he will get his game back on track for Cork. Duffy did well, particularly first half & Hoban also did well & must still be wondering why he was subbed. Overall, a draw was probably the right result to be fair.

Moving on to Cork next Friday, we really need to stamp our authority on this match, not be bullied & go win the game.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:03 am

Daniel McDonnell usual provides thoughtful observations

I appreciate that others may script the headline, but it is a distortion of the facts, as Derry were down to 10 men for all of 7 minutes including injury time!

10-man Derry City come from behind twice to earn a share of the spoils at Dundalk
DUNDALK 2 DERRY CITY 2

BEFORE this game, Kenny Shiels had suggested that Dundalk had a simplistic approach based around making fewer mistakes than their opponent.

The Derry City boss was preparing to disprove that thesis. Stephen Kenny's league leaders gave away the lead twice against an opponent that overcame the loss of key players to make a significant statement.

They were hanging on for their point at the end, with Gavin Peers dismissed with three minutes to go, yet they succeeded where others had failed by forcing errors that upset Dundalk's momentum.

More at
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 28402.html

Return to “General Discussion”