Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | Fri 1 June | 8pm | Tallaght Stadium

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | Fri 1 June | 8pm | Tallaght Stadium

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:20 am

Although we started on the front foot, Rovers goal knocked us & we were on the back foot. Only the moments before Hoban's great equaliser did we really get going again & truthfully we never looked back. Was it Clarke who's shocking tackled on Mc Grath didn't even warrant the referee to stop the game, it was a straight red or indeed an assault on the Dundalk player.

It ended men against boys, with Shields & Hoban the outstanding Players on the park. Yet another fantastic away support & surely we must have the best away support of any team in the league.

C'MON THE TOWN:

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:47 am

Ezeikial wrote:I noticed that Daniel Cleary got another booking after his goal.

Can anyone suggest what he did to merit this? I notice he made the hand behind the ear gesture towards the main stand and/or Rovers bench in his celebration - could that be the reason for him getting the same sanction as Lopes who should be in court for assault charges this morning

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1002630414756823041

That wouldn’t have merited a yellow card, but I’d say he did it as a gesture to the bench, in response to the contract that Rovers offered him pre season, which by all accounts was insulting in terms of value, then didn’t they announce ‘we are not offering him a contact’ (when he rejected it)

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Gavin McLaughlin Video interview with Pat Hoban

https://dundalksport.ie/video-patrick-h ... aa4f11d76a
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:

Can anyone suggest what he did to merit this? I notice he made the hand behind the ear gesture towards the main stand and/or Rovers bench in his celebration - could that be the reason for him getting the same sanction as Lopes who should be in court for assault charges this morning

It was running to the Rovers bench that got him the card, certainly that was the view of al people around me at the game. Don’t think I have seen a yellow for that before?

Caoimhin Reilly asked him about it, but got little info based on the responses featured in this Demo piece

Scoring against Shamrock Rovers last night was 'the best feeling' Dundalk's Daniel Cleary has 'ever had'

"It makes it that little bit sweeter (to have scored vs. Rovers) and makes the goal probably 10 times better."

The 22-year-old spent a chunk of pre-season at Rovers, before Dundalk snapped him up just prior to the season starting, and when he scored he immediately rushed towards the Hoops manager, Stephen Bradley, cupping his ear.

Asked what the meaning behind his celebration was, he said: "Things happen, but I’m just happy to have scored for Dundalk, it’s my first professional goal."

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... Og.twitter
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Gerry Malone post-match interview with Stephen Kenny

https://audioboom.com/posts/6880977-stephen-kenny

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:25 am

It says a lot about where both clubs are at that we scored 5 away to Shamrock Rovers without really playing well. We were brutal the first 15 minutes and should have been at least 2 down, but after that class showed through. Even though we were loose at times, specially at the back, it was men against boys in the second half. Rovers decision to volunteer Burke for the Ireland squad instead of the Dundalk game was extraordinary- I can only guess they're trying to inflate a potential transfer fee? An extraordinary call which cost them any chance in the game, and could cost Bradley his job and Rovers a Euro place. Rovers yoyuth policy needs to start paying major dividends cos their recent signings have been horrific. Horgan in goal, Ethan Boyle- mediocre at relegated Harps, Gilchrist, Gary Shaw- maybe 4 goals in a season at Longford, Lopes a limited defender (who they tried in midfield!) who showed his class last night with a horrendous late knee high tackle on McGrath. What happened to Greg Bolger? He was brilliant at Cork, but now just looks like a washed up has-been wannabe 80s-style enforcer, chasing shadows, chopping down superior players. Not booked despite 5 bad fouls on Friday. Apart from Roddy Collins I don't think I can think of a better manager for Rovers!
Hoban was top class, yet again, Shields excelled and there were snatches of quality from others... enough quality to put 5 past a bottom half team for the second time in a week. 50 goals scored in 21 games, 10 conceded.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:51 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:

It was running to the Rovers bench that got him the card, certainly that was the view of al people around me at the game. Don’t think I have seen a yellow for that before?

Taunting the opposition (I'm paraphrasing the rule book). Most players don't make it so obvious. I read somewhere that Bradley had offered him a contract but told him he would be going out on loan. Young lads tend to carry a grudge over any insult to their ability and can't wait to rub it in if they score. Think Michael O'Connor when he scored in the replay.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 am

Just on the point Sean made on Bolger (Greg), I wasn’t actually sure he was playing and had to look back at the line ups post match to make sure, he was almost anonymous.

We had acres of space in that MF area for the second half, Finn going off helped, as for Ronan himself, he can’t be happy with that set up now ? He got himself a job but on the playing side it’s a a massive drop down.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Once I stopped cursing for the first 30 mins or so that was cracking entertainment. Glad to hear they got a bollocking at half time - they deserved it. Think Jarvis has been very unlucky to lose his place back to Massey so quickly, and there are enough cock ups in Garts that I think he's most at risk when Gannon is fit. Rovers probably could have had a penalty when Garts swiped at their player while lying on the ground. Just about fooled the ref into thinking he got the ball.

Rovers are a disgrace, really. Carr and Lopes both should have got straight reds. I think they need more than a change of manager. Good enough for them.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:14 pm

I think even if we had shipped 2 goals in the first 15 minutes that we'd have reeled them in. They were unlucky that forced substitutions disrupted things but were very naive in general. McAllister offered nothing for even a half bothered Ronan Finn. G Bolger was ananoymous, if your options are Shaw for Carr then there is serious lack of quality in that squad. I would be selfish on a Burke situation and made sure he was available for club on Friday and wouldnt be at all happy if it was Hoban or any of our players that were made unavailable for a nothing international especially if was offered by the club rather than an enforced call up. Each time i see the Lopez tackle on McGrath the more i cant understand how a red wasnt given, how could it not have been seen by one of the officials - It looked bad at normal speed and replays show it was a tackle of pure thuggery, knee high with both feet off the ground and jumping in!! There really can only have been one intent in mind and it wasnt playing the ball. What on earth made Bradley think that Dan Cleary wasnt up to being a first team centre half over Gilchrist!!??? We didnt have to play well to win easily and would have gotten a foothold in the game regardless of Rovers injuries I feel. The way Rovers pushed up 2nd half it was only a matter of time before they were picked off. Tagbajumi should have scored too late on. So we had a little bit of luck, no more so than McGrath not being badly injured, but we made any luck count!!

There are a few traumatic moments for Dundalk fans over the last decade and a half especially but the 7 and 6 nil humiliations in Tallaght in 2012 are up their and for some reason Friday night's game as much as any recent results in Tallaght have helped heal that sore most imo.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 pm

El Paso wrote:Once I stopped cursing for the first 30 mins or so that was cracking entertainment. Glad to hear they got a bollocking at half time - they deserved it. Think Jarvis has been very unlucky to lose his place back to Massey so quickly, and there are enough cock ups in Garts that I think he's most at risk when Gannon is fit. Rovers probably could have had a penalty when Garts swiped at their player while lying on the ground. Just about fooled the ref into thinking he got the ball.

Rovers are a disgrace, really. Carr and Lopes both should have got straight reds. I think they need more than a change of manager. Good enough for them.

Everyone views the game differently I suppose, and rightly so. For me, Gartlands deflection depends very much on whether Gary called for the ball or not. Even if he did, they may have both reacted at the same time to Carr's shot in which case the call is irrelevant.

Gartland's return has seen our defence tighten up substantially and I feel it's bit excessive to imply that he is a risk. Luckily for us Rovers are a Jekyll and Hyde team. If they played consistently in the manner in which they beat Cork they would be in the top three. We have one game left against them - at home - which will get pushed back if either of us get through ELQR1. I sincerely hope Bradley is still in charge when it is played as a change of manager tends to revitalise teams.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I just think Gartland is the weakest of our centre halfs on the ball, the one who's in the most trouble if the ball is played in behind and the one whose name is most likely to be included in the sentence "... in a mix up with Rogers". I know that reads like I think he's terrible, but I'm just talking about at the margins - in the biggest moments in the biggest games when the pressure is really on. He's a wonderful LOI centre half and I'm delighted he's ours. He's a cult hero. I love him. But our best centre half combination is Hoare and Cleary at the moment, in my opinion.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | Fri 1 June | 8pm | Tallaght Stadium

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm

El Paso wrote:I just think Gartland is the weakest of our centre halfs on the ball, the one who's in the most trouble if the ball is played in behind and the one whose name is most likely to be included in the sentence "... in a mix up with Rogers". I know that reads like I think he's terrible, but I'm just talking about at the margins - in the biggest moments in the biggest games when the pressure is really on. He's a wonderful LOI centre half and I'm delighted he's ours. He's a cult hero. I love him. But our best centre half combination is Hoare and Cleary at the moment, in my opinion.
The prelude to the gartland Rogers mix up was the loss of the ball by Massey on our own throw in. I think Massey's defensive form is a greater concern than gartlands. That's my opinion though.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | Fri 1 June | 8pm | Tallaght Stadium

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Sneachta wrote:
El Paso wrote:I just think Gartland is the weakest of our centre halfs on the ball, the one who's in the most trouble if the ball is played in behind and the one whose name is most likely to be included in the sentence "... in a mix up with Rogers". I know that reads like I think he's terrible, but I'm just talking about at the margins - in the biggest moments in the biggest games when the pressure is really on. He's a wonderful LOI centre half and I'm delighted he's ours. He's a cult hero. I love him. But our best centre half combination is Hoare and Cleary at the moment, in my opinion.
The prelude to the gartland Rogers mix up was the loss of the ball by Massey on our own throw in. I think Massey's defensive form is a greater concern than gartlands. That's my opinion though.

Massey threw it to Benson, his touch back to Massey was well short.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Yes, he lost the ball. Watch the next game with his indecision with throw ins. It's regular every game.

Now that you mention Benson, it was one of his worst games, yet scored two goals and cleared the ball off the line.

Return to “General Discussion”