Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 am

We deserved the win.

We have played better before and we will play better again, but we were the better team tonight

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:48 am

Was Caulfield sent off tonight?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 am

Great result, surprised not to see Cleary in the starting 11. Pleasantly surprised to see Adorjan in it. He took his goal really well..he hit it so early which surprised McNulty.
We were due a bit of luck against Cork and when you keep pressing right into injury time sometimes you get it.
Surprised to see Cork time wasting in the first half, they came for a point and left with none.

Only criticism I could level at us is the lack of clear cut chances for the volume of possession we had.

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Towelie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 am

Brilliant result. Cork lads nowhere to be seen. Mon the town!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:24 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Was Caulfield sent off tonight?

Yes. Didn't see what led to to it but as the team were celebrating in front of the shed Tomás Connolly was in Caulfield''s face telling him to get up to the stand. Ref obviously picked it up on the earpiece and came straight over to make sure he left. The lead up to the goal didn't involve the linesman so I'm guessing it was an over violent reaction to conceding. (i.e. how far can I kick a water bottle). Connolly had warned both himself and Cotter several times during the game

I'd say the stewards down that corner saw it.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Quayman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:03 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Towelie wrote:A win is crucial tonight, strong team out tonight so I'm hopeful enough. Word of scraps between fans in Courtney's, anyone there see what happened?

Heard they came off train no colours and into Kennedy's and threatened fans with glasses and bottles and garda dog Corp pushed them back.

Bunch of cork scumbags with no colours started on town fans in kennedys beer garden. Smashing plenty of glasses and bottles. Bar maid, all on her own, fairly dealt with the situation. Would give Katy Taylor a run for her money!!!
Neale Fenn....SCUM

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:58 am

Massive win tonight lads.

Yes we've played better but we deserved the three points and, rather than saying we deserved the win while Cork head home with the point they came for, we kept pressing until the end and got what may prove to be *the* crucial goal in the title race.

Lots more football to me played but neither side look like dropping too many points so no doubt the game down in Turners Cross will be massive... but at least now the pressure is back on them.

Next weekend is the focus now and we need to improve on oue last trip to Inchicore - whilst Rovers head to Turners Cross - but then it gets really interesting and the impact of Europe on both squads could be crucial.

Obviously we need to beat Levadia but... if Cork beat Legia (and good luck to them) then they'll have to face the challenge of juggling Champions / Europa League qualifying for a minimum of six straight weeks with trying to defend a title.

If, more likely, they lose to Legia, then at least we've nudged ahead before they get two weeks off from Europe because of the bye to focus on the league.

That's why tonight was such a big three points.

Loads more football to be played but, with such good form behind us - best winning run in the league since 1982 - and our superior European experience and squad depth, I think we're in pretty good shape as European football draws near.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 am

It was noticeable that Jamie McGrath played inside a lot rather than as an orthodox wide player. That midfield line up was what I advocated pre-match, but I was surprised that Stephen Kenny deviated from his usual selection.

Same again please against St Pats next week
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Postby Sneachta » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 am

oldfogey wrote:

Yes. Didn't see what led to to it but as the team were celebrating in front of the shed Tomás Connolly was in Caulfield''s face telling him to get up to the stand. Ref obviously picked it up on the earpiece and came straight over to make sure he left. The lead up to the goal didn't involve the linesman so I'm guessing it was an over violent reaction to conceding. (i.e. how far can I kick a water bottle). Connolly had warned both himself and Cotter several times during the game

When the goal went in he went absolutely bananas at the lines man. He ran up to him gesticulating at the linesman that it was a push. It was a crazy 60 seconds. Ref came over and I assume he told him "out ta pillowcase". It was a beautiful site. How he wore that jacket all night was also a puzzle.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 am

Anyone hit the Cork City fc chat forum lately?

Good.
because it is a frightful place and the posts there are on a primary school level.

Here's a brilliant one -
the poster here has hit a dead-end and cant explain how the wingers and defence won the match for Dundalk and go's for

"Perspective.

We lost 2-1 by an own goal.

We have a fan base. Dundalk do not

We have a top stadium Dundalk do not

We live in Cork. Dundalk do not.

**** Dundalk. We have a future. Dundalk do not.nt? :D "
-----------------

The thread is so bare of facts it reads like a ff manifesto.

I'll gladly lend anybody my log in so you can witness the absolute crap on it.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Postby oldfogey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 am

Sneachta wrote:
oldfogey wrote:

When the goal went in he went absolutely bananas at the lines man. He ran up to him gesticulating at the linesman that it was a push. It was a crazy 60 seconds. Ref came over and I assume he told him "out ta pillowcase". It was a beautiful site. How he wore that jacket all night was also a puzzle.

Just watched the re-run. He is captured standing in the tunnel area just before the final whistle so he must have been there for at least 4 minutes. I thought the rule was dressing room for players and the stand for managers. Should have put Wayne standing in front of him.

Also impossible to see how anyone in the ground could have gotten the impression that Hoban pushed McLoughlin. He was at least 2m away from him - and flying!

https://twitter.com/OrielSoccerGuy/stat ... 89953?s=19

As a nice aside, the Bishoptown Bar in Cork were offering a free pint of Rockshore for everyone in the bar if Sean McLoughlin scored at any time. They should have added that it could only be claimed if Caulfield was still in the dug out.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:19 am

Well as I said it was crazy 60 seconds. Security staff were going buck mad with the supporters, I turned round me ould lad had disappeared and I ended up in the wrong seat. Mad hey!!!

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 am

Ezeikial wrote:We deserved the win.

We have played better before and we will play better again, but we were the better team tonight

And that for me sums it all up and just to add: WHAT AN ATMOSPHERE!
The Back of the Wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 am

Caoimhin Reilly in the Democrat enters into the spirit of things

Hoban the late, late, late hero - again - as Dundalk beat Cork to go top of the league
DUNDALK FC 2-1 CORK CITY

Maybe the arguments can finally stop. Those, of course, being over who the best team in the land actually is. Dundalk are top of the table and well worthy of it. End of story.

More at
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... eague.html

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 am

Clearly Michael Duffy needs to up his game

James Rogers
‏@jamesdundalk

Just the 11 goals and 27 assists in his last 38 league games since the first game after the break last year now for Michael Duffy. 9 goals and 15 assists in 24 league games this season.

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 4521134080

Return to “General Discussion”