Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Cork City | Fri 29 June | 7:35pm | Oriel Park

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 am

Tigger1 wrote:
dell wrote:
Tigger1 wrote: Your man Kelly and his buddies on SM not helping matters either by stating that they going to stab City fans and throw petrol bombs at us. Wouldn't bother me or the lads I travel with but it definitely would put off families from travelling.

What or where is 'SM' and who is yer man Kelly and his buddies? Inform the Gardaí of the threats though, while there have been the odd unsavoury incidents across the league over the years petrol bombs and stabbings?? I'm not so sure they will be deploying the entire riot squad over some idiotic comments online somewhere. There have been plenty of excuses given for why Cork fans dont travel in significant numbers but really!??

Tiernan Kelly is his name. A dundalk fan. Plonkers all. Enough said. As for City fans and excuses for not travelling to OP, how about golf balls, flares, bottles and glasses thrown into the away end. Suppose that didn't happen eh.

Fake news

"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

If he is a plonker why pass any remarks of him? Flares thrown in to the away section? Really? The culprit who threw the glass was identified and banned. Cant comment on golf balls being thrown as I was too busy celebrating winning the league which is the only time i can think of that either set of fans would have been close enough. Either way it would be bad form and I'm pretty sure Cork City FC would have been in contact with Dundalk and Dundalk FC will have acted to prevent any reoccurance. People will say dont feed the troll but we know that the glass incident did happen so best to acknowldge it and that it was dealt with. The rest is hearsay and Cork fans have said they didnt see golf balls thrown, thats not to say that it definitely didnt happen but the club will ensure that distance between fans is maintained in future as it was a unique occasion that Dundalk supporters were on the pitch anywhere near the away section. The flares bit is a baffling one, are you sure you are not mistaking fellow Cork supporters' flares that were set off during the same 2014 league decider?

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:38 pm

dell wrote:If he is a plonker why pass any remarks of him? Flares thrown in to the away section? Really? The culprit who threw the glass was identified and banned. Cant comment on golf balls being thrown as I was too busy celebrating winning the league which is the only time i can think of that either set of fans would have been close enough. Either way it would be bad form and I'm pretty sure Cork City FC would have been in contact with Dundalk and Dundalk FC will have acted to prevent any reoccurance. People will say dont feed the troll but we know that the glass incident did happen so best to acknowldge it and that it was dealt with. The rest is hearsay and Cork fans have said they didnt see golf balls thrown, thats not to say that it definitely didnt happen but the club will ensure that distance between fans is maintained in future as it was a unique occasion that Dundalk supporters were on the pitch anywhere near the away section. The flares bit is a baffling one, are you sure you are not mistaking fellow Cork supporters' flares that were set off during the same 2014 league decider?

Golf ball incident happened. I'm sure any dundalk fans in the stadium were busy celebrating. These were teenage scuts.
Not blaming dundalk fans. Not even blaming dundalk really as in 2014 there was still every excuse for being a 2-bit operation. But no excuse now- ye have the bobs to go out and hire proper security staff and to have proper protocols in place. Every aspect of the ground from an away supporters point of view needs to be sorted. No ise arguing about whether the problems are there. They're not difficult to fix - they just need to be fixed. Not expecting miracles, just the bare minimum

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Kartoffel wrote:
dell wrote:If he is a plonker why pass any remarks of him? Flares thrown in to the away section? Really? The culprit who threw the glass was identified and banned. Cant comment on golf balls being thrown as I was too busy celebrating winning the league which is the only time i can think of that either set of fans would have been close enough. Either way it would be bad form and I'm pretty sure Cork City FC would have been in contact with Dundalk and Dundalk FC will have acted to prevent any reoccurance. People will say dont feed the troll but we know that the glass incident did happen so best to acknowldge it and that it was dealt with. The rest is hearsay and Cork fans have said they didnt see golf balls thrown, thats not to say that it definitely didnt happen but the club will ensure that distance between fans is maintained in future as it was a unique occasion that Dundalk supporters were on the pitch anywhere near the away section. The flares bit is a baffling one, are you sure you are not mistaking fellow Cork supporters' flares that were set off during the same 2014 league decider?

Golf ball incident happened. I'm sure any dundalk fans in the stadium were busy celebrating. These were teenage scuts.
Not blaming dundalk fans. Not even blaming dundalk really as in 2014 there was still every excuse for being a 2-bit operation. But no excuse now- ye have the bobs to go out and hire proper security staff and to have proper protocols in place. Every aspect of the ground from an away supporters point of view needs to be sorted. No ise arguing about whether the problems are there. They're not difficult to fix - they just need to be fixed. Not expecting miracles, just the bare minimum

Every aspect of the ground for home fans also needs to be sorted.. We know oriel is not fit for purpose.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:45 am

The golf balls and other projectiles definitely happened that night in 2016. I flew in for the game, its burned in the memory!

Its good that the guys with the glasses last time were banned. But our fans understandably don't have huge faith in ye're security as a result of it (with the 2016 incident too). Obviously, hopefully it will have been addressed properly and won't be an issue again.

I sat in the stand that game, surrounded by dundalk fans, without any hint of worry or issue. It was only afterwards when I met the family enclosure bus we heard about it. That bus understandably won't travel this time, but there's still a bus or two running and there will be people make their own way.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

The golf ball stuff was totally unacceptable and among other things demonstrated inadequacies in the security arrangements on the night - I recall seeing Brian Gartland looking to shepherd people who were on the pitch away from the Cork fans.

The more recent glass-throwing incident was also unacceptable behaviour, even if it was jumped on with faux outrage by many Cork folk purely to point-score. The contrast in reactions on the Cork fans forum when there was missiles thrown at the Dundalk players at Turners Cross fairly illustrated this.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Ezeikial wrote:The contrast in reactions on the Cork fans forum when there was missiles thrown at the Dundalk players at Turners Cross fairly illustrated this.

It has happened twice in Turners Cross and once at the last cup final.

Two wrongs don't make a right though and stewarding was appalling for both incidents that actually did happen in Oriel. Whoever let the Dundalk fans out for a smoke whilst the Cork fans were still in the ground should have lost their job.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Jojo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jojo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Don't see why so much time is taken up with all this discussion on this issue. We all agree that this sort of behaviour Is totally unacceptable so let's concentrate on the football. It should be a super match with the two best teams in the league and if people don't want to travel the match is on TV.

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Ezeikial wrote:The golf ball stuff was totally unacceptable and among other things demonstrated inadequacies in the security arrangements on the night - I recall seeing Brian Gartland looking to shepherd people who were on the pitch away from the Cork fans.

The more recent glass-throwing incident was also unacceptable behaviour, even if it was jumped on with faux outrage by many Cork folk purely to point-score. The contrast in reactions on the Cork fans forum when there was missiles thrown at the Dundalk players at Turners Cross fairly illustrated this.

Yes your spot on regarding Gartland, he has my total respect for trying to stop them. The incident in the cross was an empty plastic bottle and again ill praise Rodgers for just kicking it off the pitch straight away. Your man that threw it got a right bollocking and was pointed out to the security. Going back to the game itself, it will be a game of wits. We don't have the flair that ye have, but we have the guts and desire to win something we didn't have at the first meeting up in Oriel. Dundalk could easily slip 3/4 past any team in this league, including City. Another factor that could come into play is that this game is directly after the break. One of us may not be up to scratch after it. I'd say Oriel will be full for this game.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Jojo wrote:Don't see why so much time is taken up with all this discussion on this issue. We all agree that this sort of behaviour Is totally unacceptable so let's concentrate on the football. It should be a super match with the two best teams in the league and if people don't want to travel the match is on TV.

I think it is important to acknowledge such events especially when work is done to stop a repeat. There are clubs that outright deny that there is an issue to be resolved. Dundalk players, fans, and club have not tried to do anything but sort things. There hasnt been whataboutery, denial or justification. Simply a dealt with, will do better!

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:26 pm

{the incident in turners cross was an empty bottle }well that makes it ok then ,no harm intended ,theres a good telling of now and away home and enjoy your clonakilty sauasages good boy .tigger you and the rest of ye angel cork fans need to give over, every club has its troubles ,you make it sound as if going to oriel park was like travelling to syria ,time to dry the eyes

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:06 pm

micls wrote:The golf balls and other projectiles definitely happened that night in 2016. I flew in for the game, its burned in the memory!

Its good that the guys with the glasses last time were banned. But our fans understandably don't have huge faith in ye're security as a result of it (with the 2016 incident too). Obviously, hopefully it will have been addressed properly and won't be an issue again.

I sat in the stand that game, surrounded by dundalk fans, without any hint of worry or issue. It was only afterwards when I met the family enclosure bus we heard about it. That bus understandably won't travel this time, but there's still a bus or two running and there will be people make their own way.

I assumed that this happened after the title decider last night of the season when Dundalk fans were on the pitch. If it was 2016 how the hell did that happen where Dundalk 'support' got close to the away section or was it outside the ground? I was hit on the shoulder by a coin thrown from the tier above at the cup final when the penalty shootout finished, there were other things thrown and including a good few plastic cups of beer that must have been taken out of the hospitality/premium area. I wouldnt label every Cork fan for it, especially the beers which could have been overexuberant celebration rather than intended.

Without wanting to seem like I am defending anything, there is only so much then even top security can do as the incident in Cork shows. It just takes one idiot to misbehave and sour things for the rest and stewards, short of having an awful lot of them cant watch everyone.

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm

transitvan74 wrote:{the incident in turners cross was an empty bottle }well that makes it ok then ,no harm intended ,theres a good telling of now and away home and enjoy your clonakilty sauasages good boy .tigger you and the rest of ye angel cork fans need to give over, every club has its troubles ,you make it sound as if going to oriel park was like travelling to syria ,time to dry the eyes

Who said it was OK little boy. Read my post but before you do ring specsavers, there's a deal on at the moment. I'll enjoy my sausages, I hope you enjoy your bananas, don't eat to many...... You know what will happen.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Tigger1 wrote: I hope you enjoy your bananas, don't eat to many...... You know what will happen.

What? enlighten... us!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:22 am

I'm loathe to go down the whataboutery route again here, because I have seen people rock up to Dundalk matches plenty of times over the years and act like thugs. I despise them for it, because the thing I hate most about football is being treated like a criminal running a gauntlet of riot cops, horses and dogs just because I want to go watch a match.

So I'll simply say that it takes some neck to both accuse other fans of tolerating threats of extreme violence and pretend that your own have been guilty of nothing more than chucking a single plastic bottle
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”