FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm

It's hard to get enthusiastic about meeting Cork again and their turgid anti-football style.

But it is brilliant to be in another cup final, regardless of the opposition

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 am

Right, it's time to embrace playing Cork at the Aviva.

I know people fear another Groundhog Day, but a 0-0 war of attrition is not written in the stars. We've a great chance to do the double, which would make up for the heartache of the last two finals.

Reasons to be positive:

- We're league champions
- 12 points clear - the table doesn't lie
- We've got the best defence in the league
- We've got the league's top scorer (by a mile) and Premier Division record-holder
- We've got three players with a serious chance of finishing 1-2-3 for LOI player of the season
- Our domestic form is exceptional. Since losing in Waterford over five months ago: P24, W21, D1, L2
- We totally outplayed Cork on their own patch last time out
- Their confidence is low - they even threatened to bottle it from 2-0 up tonight. Awful second half
- Their own supporters are questioning their fitness / energy levels late on in recent games
- We look as fit as ever... and our bench is the strongest it's been under Kenny. Options all over the park
- They'll probably just lump it to Cummins. Gartland & Hoare/Cleary will lap it up all day long
- They've chopped and changed at centre back all season. None of them can handle Hoban
- If it does end up tight, in McEleney & Duffy we've got the players most likely to create that bit of magic

Win the midfield battle again and I'm sure we'll win the game. First goal is huge. If we get an early one again, it could be a long afternoon for Cork.

Score early. Win well. Make mine a Double!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am

The key to winning the final is an early goal. We get it and Cork have to come out and play which probably suits us as I don’t think they are fit enough for 90 mins of high intensity ( as we saw last night in the 2nd half). They score first and early, then we are in for a hard slog, trying to break them down whilst our centre half’s get bombarded with long high balls.
Either way, I think we have the better, fitter, hungrier squad that will get us across the line! So for me, if you’re going to the bar, make mine a Double!!!
King Kenny!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 am

Cork are probably at their weakest since 2015. We, in the other hand, are probably at our best, with the exception of the Bate Borisov win. If everyone is fit I find it very hard to see a scenario where they can they live the the team we field AND the strength of our bench.

There will be no Middle Earth titanic struggle here. Cork have too many problems on and off the pitch and Caulfield can't settle on his best side. We will be 3-0 up by 60 mins.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:56 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
oldfogey wrote:
McNultys Discopants wrote:
It makes no difference what block is on the ticket for premium level. All fai season ticket holders can get a premium level ticket if they want to and they're not allocated a block or a seat number.

That may well be but if you buy tickets they come with block, row, and seat no.

I got premium last year and we could sit anywhere. It's not gonna sell out.

The last time I got a Premium ticket I was strictly confined to the block but could sit wherever I wanted even though there was a seat number on the ticket.
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:04 pm

I must say I enjoyed our recent League Cup Final victories more than the 2015 Cup Final. I have the latter recorded on my Sky Box and have never watched it back. The thoughts of another 120 minutes of all... that... really don't appeal to me.

We *should* win, but it's an all-or-nothing encounter where anything can happen (especially knowing our clowncar refs) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lose. After all Cork were in even worse form collapsing to the title this time last year while we were on a wonderful run of results and look how that game turned out - our attacking players didn't land a glove on them.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 pm

El Paso wrote:I must say I enjoyed our recent League Cup Final victories more than the 2015 Cup Final. I have the latter recorded on my Sky Box and have never watched it back. The thoughts of another 120 minutes of all... that... really don't appeal to me.

We *should* win, but it's an all-or-nothing encounter where anything can happen (especially knowing our clowncar refs) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lose. After all Cork were in even worse form collapsing to the title this time last year while we were on a wonderful run of results and look how that game turned out - our attacking players didn't land a glove on them.

Very true but you have to look at the head to head results. Last year it was all cork. Was it 2 wins and a draw? This season we have had the upperhand. Play the same team that went to turners cross and played cork off the park. The aviva is a big long pitch which should suit our brand of football more than the orbital approach of cork.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 pm

oldfogey wrote:Cork are probably at their weakest since 2015. We, in the other hand, are probably at our best, with the exception of the Bate Borisov win. If everyone is fit I find it very hard to see a scenario where they can they live the the team we field AND the strength of our bench.

There will be no Middle Earth titanic struggle here. Cork have too many problems on and off the pitch and Caulfield can't settle on his best side. We will be 3-0 up by 60 mins.

I'd say we're a good way short of the 2015 vintage, never mind the 2016 team, but we we'll have to have a bad day to give Cork a chance.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but has there been any word on tickets sales from the club for the cup final yet. I know they are available on Ticketmaster but has there been any announcement yet?
King Kenny!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Don't think so. Somebody would have spotted an announcement.

Interesting that the blocks available on Ticketmaster for Lower and Premium levels are adjacent to what we expect to be the Cork end. Kind of defines where their support is expected to stop.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Looks like I'm missing the final. Supposed to be working that weekend and not being given the holidays. I thought I'd be more disappointed - I'm more scarred by the last two than I thought!!

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:05 am

Letter I have sent to the FAI on the subject and other suggestions to make the big day even better, support and share if you agree https://www.facebook.com/groups/2925121 ... 528758115/

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:Letter I have sent to the FAI on the subject and other suggestions to make the big day even better, support and share if you agree https://www.facebook.com/groups/2925121 ... 528758115/

That link isn't working for me! What's the groups name?
King Kenny!

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:03 am

Perhaps post it up for those of us without a stalkbook account.

It can't be that long. A simple suggestion to change the final to a Saturday afternoon/evening match so we can have pints without the fear of work the next day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sneachta on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:29 am

Sneachta wrote:Perhaps post it up for those of use without a stalkbook account.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

+1

Facebook - a platform for idiots. Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for.

Return to “General Discussion”