FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Post Reply
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by colymull » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

DFCLife wrote:
marmulade wrote:I'm almost disappointed that we didn't get Longford Town at Oriel, purely to see the reception that Neale Fenn would get on his return.
I recall he got a very hostile reception when he came to Oriel as a Shams player, before being thumped 5-1 of course. If he was to return as Longford manager, I doubt many would even acknowledge him, given that it's been 8 years and he seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after that season.
Speak for yourself!!!!


King Kenny!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1568
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by oldfogey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 pm

16 teams left in the FAI Cup. I'm sure I saw somewhere that the draw is on Monday night so I'm assuming Soccer Republic. Anyone able to confirm?

Bohemians
Cabinteely
CIE Ranch
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda Utd
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Galway Utd
Limerick
Longford Town
Maynooth University Town
St Patricks Athletic
Shelbourne
UCD
Waterford

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Shoco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm

colymull wrote:
DFCLife wrote:
marmulade wrote:I'm almost disappointed that we didn't get Longford Town at Oriel, purely to see the reception that Neale Fenn would get on his return.
I recall he got a very hostile reception when he came to Oriel as a Shams player, before being thumped 5-1 of course. If he was to return as Longford manager, I doubt many would even acknowledge him, given that it's been 8 years and he seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after that season.
Speak for yourself!!!!
Agree, absolute kunt of the highest order

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 114 times
Contact:

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm

oldfogey wrote:16 teams left in the FAI Cup. I'm sure I saw somewhere that the draw is on Monday night so I'm assuming Soccer Republic. Anyone able to confirm?

Bohemians
Cabinteely
CIE Ranch
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda Utd
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Galway Utd
Limerick
Longford Town
Maynooth University Town
St Patricks Athletic
Shelbourne
UCD
Waterford
Was announced in oriel that the draw was on soccer republic..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 pm

At home to Finn Harps
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2321
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by El Paso » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Eases the fixture congestion somewhat. Good draw to rest a few players and try a few things considering the Rovers game the following Tuesday

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Weelilywhite » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Given what happened against Cobh, how poor some of our 2nd team are and the fact that Finn Harps are considerably ahead of Cobh in the league, I don't think SK will rest too many players. If we can control the game the lads should be ok for the Rovers match.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:Given what happened against Cobh, how poor some of our 2nd team are and the fact that Finn Harps are considerably ahead of Cobh in the league, I don't think SK will rest too many players. If we can control the game the lads should be ok for the Rovers match.
That is a reoccurring debate here recently - whether he should/will rotate players.

Note: It is impossible to know what you mean by "rest too many players"!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by colymull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!
King Kenny!

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 114 times
Contact:

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am

colymull wrote:Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!
The FAI will want to make as much money as possible from the cup final.. of those currently still in it dundalk, cork derry and possibly waterford are the only teams that would bring any sort of crowd with them to the aviva..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by colymull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
colymull wrote:Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!
The FAI will want to make as much money as possible from the cup final.. of those currently still in it dundalk, cork derry and possibly waterford are the only teams that would bring any sort of crowd with them to the aviva..
You’re right, but for the neutral fan who might go to the final every year, a Dundalk-Cork final for the 4th year in a row may not be much of an attraction especially as the previous 3 have been 0-0 at 90 mins!!!
King Kenny!

nigel-harps1954
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by nigel-harps1954 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
colymull wrote:Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!
The FAI will want to make as much money as possible from the cup final.. of those currently still in it dundalk, cork derry and possibly waterford are the only teams that would bring any sort of crowd with them to the aviva..
It's alright sure when Harps beat Dundalk you can all weigh in behind our efforts to beat Cork in the final..

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Weelilywhite » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Colymull to suggest that an organisation of such high moral standing and transparency would even think of such a thing ! Who gets the monies from the cup final- is it split between the two teams or does the FAI keep it as they keep the RTE money for broadcasting some games live ?

User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by Wexford White » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:Colymull to suggest that an organisation of such high moral standing and transparency would even think of such a thing ! Who gets the monies from the cup final- is it split between the two teams or does the FAI keep it as they keep the RTE money for broadcasting some games live ?
Is that true - the FAI get the money for televised games?
The Back of the Wall

dell1
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Post by dell1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 pm

The FAI say that as part of rights for international games they required RTE to also televise a certain amount of LoI games. The implication being that they couldnt sell the rights to RTE and they had to obligate RTE to show domestic games. I doubt the FAI keep RTE money for the league broatcasts but what level of overall money the league generates in other areas the FAI seemingly refuse to tell clubs. Make what you will of that. But RTE i highly doubt pay for league games.

Post Reply