FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Brian Gartland always comes across as a rock of sense. I look forward to a dignified interview as winning captain on Sunday

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Assuming at this stage Kenny starts with a 4-2 of: Rogers; Gannon-Garts-Hoare-Massey; Benson-Shields
what would people prefer if Hoban doesn't make it?

1. Mountney-McEleney-Duffy
Kelly

2. McGrath-McEleney-Duffy
Kelly

3. McEleney
McGrath-Murray-Duffy

I'd lean towards 3. Kelly has no match fitness and that set up gives you loads of false 9 options with McEleney running from a deeper role.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Brian Gartland always comes across as a rock of sense. I look forward to a dignified interview as winning captain on Sunday

I can't imagine him standing on the balcony in Brubakers giving a expletive filled speech about Cork!!!
King Kenny!

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 pm

El Paso wrote:The boo boys shut up for a while because you thrashed the three worst teams in the League after we'd won the Title.

The whole country saw what happened Caulfield in Dalymount.

And...... Is that the very best you can come up with.

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:The relationship between fans/players and manager isn't as strained as you think. Whatever went on seems to have been sorted. You speak of the Seani Maguire inspired double quite a bit on every forum your on. If you lot hadn't Hoooooban this year you wouldn't have won the league.

The barracking of Caulfield and the Cork team after both home and away games, when it was apparent Cork were not going to win the league, was widely reported and clear to see. Making the cup final has given a lifeline to try to salvage the season. Losing it will see a further desertion by people totally fed up with the negative agricultural style of football.

Pat Hoban has been magnificent this season, yet is only one of the three Dundalk players dominating the PFAI player of the year nominations.

Failure to win the cup on Sunday could have very significant implications for Cork City. It would leave John Caulfield in a very difficult position and could even result in him walking away if the abuse from Cork fans escalated further

Likewise Seani Maguire was magnificent for us and I have no doubt he would have had much more goals than Hoban has this year, even with less games played in the season. Remember he left in July. As for Caulfield walking..... Na. I sincerely think it was the manner in which we gave up the league and the dressing room fiasco combined fired up a lot of fans. Seems to be OK..... For now.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 pm

This is the closest to a compliment Dundalk have ever got from Babs in d’Echo. Even suggests we were indeed the better side in the last two finals!

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/I- ... 5c16fe2-ds

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 pm

"The players represent the town exceptionally well and now that we've got to the final, everybody should come out and really support them."

Interview with Lilywhites manager Stephen Kenny

Link: https://dundalksport.ie/video-dundalk-f ... e4a6b237f5
Last edited by gavinmclaughlin on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 pm

DOUBLE POST

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Deviating from the Cup , congrats to the “ Harps”, on promotion to the Premier , see you in Oriel in 2019.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Tigger1 wrote:Likewise Seani Maguire was magnificent for us and I have no doubt he would have had much more goals than Hoban has this year, even with less games played in the season. Remember he left in July.

Maguire 38 V Hoban 49
At the risk of irritating Fwats, If you want to make some factual comparisons between the two, in his last 2 years in League of Ireland (July 2015 - July 2017) Sean Maguire scored an impressive 38 league goals compared with Pat Hobans 49 league goals in his last 2 years (2014 & 2018)

Tigger, the fact that you and other Cork fans are still lionising a player who has left a season and a half back says a lot about the fans disconnect with the current players and the dearth of talent.

Instead of Sean Maguire, Cork fans will have to pin their hopes on Graham Cummins on Sunday
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Based on all players being declared fit for selection (maybe naive to take that at face value!!)

Predicted Team

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Hoare | Massey
Shields | Benson
Mountney | McEleney | Duffy
Hoban*

Sava |Cleary |Jarvis |McGrath | Connolly | Murray |Kelly*

* If Hoban not fit, Georgie Kelly to step up and Stephen O'Donnell comes on to the bench.

If/when Benson runs out of steam, I expect McEleney to drop to No8 and McGrath or Murray to come in at No10

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:29 am

Tigger1 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:The relationship between fans/players and manager isn't as strained as you think. Whatever went on seems to have been sorted. You speak of the Seani Maguire inspired double quite a bit on every forum your on. If you lot hadn't Hoooooban this year you wouldn't have won the league.

The barracking of Caulfield and the Cork team after both home and away games, when it was apparent Cork were not going to win the league, was widely reported and clear to see. Making the cup final has given a lifeline to try to salvage the season. Losing it will see a further desertion by people totally fed up with the negative agricultural style of football.

Pat Hoban has been magnificent this season, yet is only one of the three Dundalk players dominating the PFAI player of the year nominations.

Failure to win the cup on Sunday could have very significant implications for Cork City. It would leave John Caulfield in a very difficult position and could even result in him walking away if the abuse from Cork fans escalated further

Likewise Seani Maguire was magnificent for us and I have no doubt he would have had much more goals than Hoban has this year, even with less games played in the season. Remember he left in July. As for Caulfield walking..... Na. I sincerely think it was the manner in which we gave up the league and the dressing room fiasco combined fired up a lot of fans. Seems to be OK..... For now.

You are singing a different tune here than you have been on the Cork forum of recent. Must be the influence of the doom merchants like Francie et al there. Trot along now and dont forget to report whats being said here in your usual balanced and non childlike manner.....

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:41 am

El Paso wrote:This is the closest to a compliment Dundalk have ever got from Babs in d’Echo. Even suggests we were indeed the better side in the last two finals!

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/I- ... 5c16fe2-ds

That’s an amazingly balanced article from a Cork fan!! I’m not sure, if I was a Cork fan, that I wouldn’t mind losing if we played good football. We’d all love Cork to come out and play some attacking football on Sunday and actually make a game of it but they have never done it in the past 3 finals and are unlikely to do it in this one.
King Kenny!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:49 am

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... ssion=true

Some pretty strange comments from Karl Sheppard taking about hatred and grudges between players and a dislike between fans.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 am

Ezeikial wrote:https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/karl-sheppard-insists-wont-act-13519382.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Some pretty strange comments from Karl Sheppard taking about hatred and grudges between players and a dislike between fans.

Saw those yesterday. Stark contrast with Gartland's words. Doesn't do much for their denials that they're weirdly obsessed by us.

Return to “General Discussion”