FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby Tigger1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:22 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:Likewise Seani Maguire was magnificent for us and I have no doubt he would have had much more goals than Hoban has this year, even with less games played in the season. Remember he left in July.

Maguire 38 V Hoban 49
At the risk of irritating Fwats, If you want to make some factual comparisons between the two, in his last 2 years in League of Ireland (July 2015 - July 2017) Sean Maguire scored an impressive 38 league goals compared with Pat Hobans 49 league goals in his last 2 years (2014 & 2018)

Tigger, the fact that you and other Cork fans are still lionising a player who has left a season and a half back says a lot about the fans disconnect with the current players and the dearth of talent.

Instead of Sean Maguire, Cork fans will have to pin their hopes on Graham Cummins on Sunday

I didn't bring up Seani. It was one of yours. Look before you post. I also said Seani would have outscored Hoban's total this year had he stayed for the full season. Would you not at least agree with that.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am

Ezeikial wrote:Based on all players being declared fit for selection (maybe naive to take that at face value!!)

Predicted Team

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Hoare | Massey
Shields | Benson
Mountney | McEleney | Duffy
Hoban*

Sava |Cleary |Jarvis |McGrath | Connolly | Murray |Kelly*

* If Hoban not fit, Georgie Kelly to step up and Stephen O'Donnell comes on to the bench.

If/when Benson runs out of steam, I expect McEleney to drop to No8 and McGrath or Murray to come in at No10

Have to say I think this is the starting xi he will play also if Hoban is fit, it would be my choice also and I’d assume most others too, although some would go for Jarvis. The subs bench looks spot on also and good point made on O’Donnell, can’t see anyone making way for him, he was probably just a few weeks too late, the important bit is he is back playing, options for next year.

I think we will win the game in 90 mins, going for a 2-0 win. Really looking forward to the day out now.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:58 am

I still think it's a risk starting a lone frontman who has hardly played since June in the biggest game of his career to date. Kelly should have played against Bohs, indulging Hoban in that game in the hope he'd reach 30 was an error from the team's point of view.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 am

El Paso wrote:I still think it's a risk starting a lone frontman who has hardly played since June in the biggest game of his career to date. Kelly should have played against Bohs, indulging Hoban in that game in the hope he'd reach 30 was an error from the team's point of view.

I agree with all your points.
And now a bit of personal grief: I won't make the final. I was scheduled for knee surgery on the 19th but this has been brought forward by 2 weeks, so it's into hospital for me tomorrow with surgery on Monday. Be able to see it on TV but it's not the same, is it?
Anyway, C'MON THE TOWN!
The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Tigger1 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:Likewise kid. Enjoy the day and may the best team not win again, well thats according to St Stephen.

I spoke too soon

Sheppard: “When we’re at it, I don’t think any team in this league can match us."

Tell me about the best team and St Stephen again?

That's your problem, you always speak to soon. As one of your comrades has already stated. It takes a good team to win a title, a very good team to retain it and a great team to do three in a row. If we win on Sunday I'll be reminding him of that.

Refers to league titles not FAI Cups.. you seriously saying cork winning 3 fai cups is better than 3 league titles in a row and 4 in 5 years?? Catch a grip of yourself will ya.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Anyone know of any bars in New York that will be showing the match?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Ezeikial wrote:https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/karl-sheppard-insists-wont-act-13519382.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Some pretty strange comments from Karl Sheppard taking about hatred and grudges between players and a dislike between fans.

Dundalk fans haven't forgotten. Just don't rate him that highly at all. We dodged a bullet imho. And i wouldn't say the fans hate eachother. I had absolutely no problem with cork until that clown McNulty and his singing in the soho.. Then again when you haven't had much success in your career you don't know how to react when a little taste of it comes along.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Ezeikial wrote:https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/karl-sheppard-insists-wont-act-13519382.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Some pretty strange comments from Karl Sheppard taking about hatred and grudges between players and a dislike between fans.

He is both projecting and guaging the level of hatred between supporters on what he experiences in Cork. I dont see hatred among Dundalk fans for Cork supporters. Rolled eyes at their school yard name calling and a wry smile at their desperation for wider credit and acceptance. Other than that its a bit meh tbh!

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
I spoke too soon

Sheppard: “When we’re at it, I don’t think any team in this league can match us."

Tell me about the best team and St Stephen again?

That's your problem, you always speak to soon. As one of your comrades has already stated. It takes a good team to win a title, a very good team to retain it and a great team to do three in a row. If we win on Sunday I'll be reminding him of that.

Refers to league titles not FAI Cups.. you seriously saying cork winning 3 fai cups is better than 3 league titles in a row and 4 in 5 years?? Catch a grip of yourself will ya.

Ye really are thick up there. Where did I say league titles were less valued than cup wins. Cup winners comes with a title..... Or didn't you know that.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Any recommendations for parking in the area of the stadium? I’m thinking Ringsend/Irishtown area?
King Kenny!

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 pm

dell1 wrote:

He is both projecting and guaging the level of hatred between supporters on what he experiences in Cork. I dont see hatred among Dundalk fans for Cork supporters. Rolled eyes at their school yard name calling and a wry smile at their desperation for wider credit and acceptance. Other than that its a bit meh tbh!

Of course you don't..... No history of your fans attacking ours. Take your head and arse out of the sand.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:09 pm

colymull wrote:Any recommendations for parking in the area of the stadium? I’m thinking Ringsend/Irishtown area?

The DundalkFC twitter account is suggesting South Bank Road near the East Link

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Good piece with Stephen Kenny in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3684515

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm

El Paso wrote:Good piece with Stephen Kenny in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3684515

There is some really interesting stuff there, among them this statement

Kenny is adamant that playing the game in a progressive, possession-based way is more important to him than winning

I wonder if that is really true - if any manager lost 10 games in a row, no amount of 'progressive, possession-based' football would save him.

It's almost the converse of the Caulfield/Cork City situation and what Barbara O'Connell was writing in the Evening Echo - Hoofball football will only be tolerated when you are winning
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:26 pm

I suppose he would argue that progressive possession-based football done properly wouldn't lose 10 games in a row. And that you might win some games playing hoofball, But you'll hit the ceiling of what you can accomplish very quickly. He alludes to it when talking about the Europa League - calculated risk.

I mean I'm not a fan of "take each match as it comes, the next three points is the most important" etc, etc. You can only improve in football when you're thinking about where you've come from and where you want to get to - one match ahead and 10 matches ahead and next season and five years down the line all at the same time. It's the big difference between the two managers contesting tomorrow's game. One is a big picture kind of guy, a philosopher of the game. The other isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”