FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Lads, am absolutely buzzing. Was near sick with nerves before it and I’m 41!!

Think Cork’s high press was excellent in terms of pressurising us, but they had no creativity and looked to be relying on winning set pieces. When they got tired and we found space we dominated. I think for the first hour we were poor in possession, but comfortable defensively.

Still we threatened to shoot ourselves in the foot quite a few times. Garts, McEleney and Massey near the end all had moments.

Duffy botching the chance to make it three had me in ribbons. Rogers was shaky early doors but his fly goalie impression and save from Sadlier were highlight reel stuff.

McGrath sub might have been the turning point. Held onto the ball and gave us much needed shape.

But the goal... what a goal to win a final!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Tigger1 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Tigger1 wrote:Likewise kid. Enjoy the day and may the best team not win again, well thats according to St Stephen.

I spoke too soon

Sheppard: “When we’re at it, I don’t think any team in this league can match us."

Tell me about the best team and St Stephen again?

That's your problem, you always speak to soon. As one of your comrades has already stated. It takes a good team to win a title, a very good team to retain it and a great team to do three in a row. If we win on Sunday I'll be reminding him of that.

What will you be reminding me of tigger??? As I said a good team wins 1 title... great teams do 3 in a row.. cork aren't a great team!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Benson MOTM. Really interesting what happens to him now. Many said McELeney doesn’t show up in the big games against Cork... Many ( including myself ) with egg on their face with regards to these two .
Ps I’m sure we’re all more than happy with the egg!!

In hindsight, we absolutely dominated Cork this year. Think back to how we all felt in March.. What a year.. C’mon the Town

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Sheppard: “When we’re at it, I don’t think any team in this league can match us."

Cork played as well as they can play with the players they have. We did not play particularly well. We won.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:25 pm

We were very poor in so many ways. Cork's game plan worked as well as they could have hoped. However, they created nothing. It is very difficult to win a game, if you have no goal threat.

Fantastic performance from Benson after being out for so long and missing a lot of training.

Delighted for McEleney, he was not playing well, but it just takes one moment for a special player like him.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 pm

White Horse wrote:Fantastic performance from Benson after being out for so long and missing a lot of training.

It was. Makes you think he's the type of player who'd benefit from rotation. His best performances this season have always been after a break.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Should've done the treble

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 am

Thought Gartland was immense. The substitution of Mountney for McGrath changed the game, and well done to Stephen Kenny for making an early call on that.
Last edited by dundalkfc1903 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 am

I don't want to fall out with you but I would hope that - in the cold light of a sober day - you might reconsider your comments.

These players have broken numerous records this year (and Corks resolve)and achieved an amazing double, yet you brand them an "absolute disgrace" because you can't get a selfie with the cup last night? Do they not deserve one night of celebration with their families?

Surely you don't believe the supporters are more important than the players?

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am

Congratulations on achieving the double lads. Met many very nice dundalk fans before and after the game. Very gracious in victory they were. Enjoy the celebrations.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:22 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Thought Gartland was immense. The substitution of Mountney for McGrath changed the game, and well done to Stephen Kenny for making an early call on that.

Was on night shift, unfortunately for my partying ambitions, and was a bit surprised reading the original... I kind of hoped you’d edit it!

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am

For all the talk of Hoban, Benson, McGrath carrying knocks its was Miountney that looked as if he was carrying an injury. He looked a bit jaded. Corks pressure game was very effective but its never really possible to keep that going for a full match. It felt like they were playing very well and we werent yet were looking the most threatening. The last 4 cup finals have been such tight affairs Im not surprised how animated the team were at the full time whistle. Rogers made those couple of saves or we'd have been in to extra time again. Thoroughly enjoyable day, prematch and in the Aviva had some great chats with Cork fans. It really makes the use of words like 'hatred' in the build up completely ridiculous!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 am

For me Benson had his best game of the season yesterday. I was surprised when I saw his name o the team sheet, didn’t think he’d be fit enough but he put in a great shift. Gartland was rock solid and if ever a player deserves to lift 2 trophies, it’s that man.
The last 15 mins of the match felt like a week, the thought of Cork equalising with the last kick was making me feel ill.
King Kenny!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Superb achievement winning the double and what an absolutely brilliant day out. The only blip was having to head back to Dublin today for damn work !

Some brilliant performances all over the park. And what a ball again in from Gannon to McEleney. Top class way to finish it. Have to say the Premium level is a fantastic spot to watch the final from, perfect view and great facilities.

leesider
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby leesider » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm

No excuses, best team won. I'd have to watch the whole game again to get a balanced view of it but ye were probably the better team. Ye had more goalscorers in yere starting eleven and indeed on the bench and our lack of cutting edge cost us. We were let back into into it thanks to rush of blood from Hoare (he was still high after scoring I'd say :-))
Stephen Kenny didn't take us for granted that's for sure and you could see how much it meant to him at the end. I don't think I've ever seen a manager react like that after winning a cup final. He said some nice things about us in the post-match interview (fair play to him) and Caulfield was magnanimous in defeat I think.
Nice to see Cotter and Caulfield both congratulate Kenny at the end. The pressure on Dundalk was massive as to lose three finals in row would have been a sickener and it would have taken a bit of the gloss off winning the league too maybe.
We nearly forced extra-time with that deflected shot by Sadlier and even when we got that free-kick right at the end I thought it might fall at the feet of a City player and he would blast it home. We wouldn't have deserved it though. A mistake by Griffin cost us but good (great) teams punish mistakes. Cummins was bought to replace Maguire but wasn't started yesterday. Says it all really.
Two doubles is some achievement, congrats.
Last edited by leesider on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”