FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm

iloveduffy.com wrote:I'd prefer see us play a team from our own division. On paper our second team should beat anyone in 1st division but we would more than likely put out a strong team vs a top team. With a strong team we should beat anyone

The next round is scheduled for the weekend of Fri 7 Sept - we have no match the following week because Derry are playing in the EA Sports Cup final, and the next match after that is Cork away on 21 Sept. There is no reason, other than keep squad fitness ticking over, to play anything other than a strong team in the cup.

A home match is most important - I think the ideal would be to draw Cork at home

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
iloveduffy.com wrote:I'd prefer see us play a team from our own division. On paper our second team should beat anyone in 1st division but we would more than likely put out a strong team vs a top team. With a strong team we should beat anyone

The next round is scheduled for the weekend of Fri 7 Sept - we have no match the following week because Derry are playing in the EA Sports Cup final, and the next match after that is Cork away on 21 Sept. There is no reason, other than keep squad fitness ticking over, to play anything other than a strong team in the cup.

A home match is most important - I think the ideal would be to draw Cork at home

Keep that for the semi. Rather not play them so soon before our league meeting.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Keep that for the semi. Rather not play them so soon before our league meeting.

Playing and beating Cork in the FAI Cup would leave them well deflated going in to that league match in Turners Cross.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 am

Ezeikial wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:Keep that for the semi. Rather not play them so soon before our league meeting.

Playing and beating Cork in the FAI Cup would leave them well deflated going in to that league match in Turners Cross.

Or extremely fired up for revenge. Caulfields not completely useless.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 pm

It's not particularly attractive to be playing Limerick away on successive weeks, but it's still a decent draw.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 pm

I see the holders are playing Longford for the third year in a row... they’ve hardly seen a premier team before the semi final the last few years

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Ezeikial wrote:It's not particularly attractive to be playing Limerick away on successive weeks, but it's still a decent draw.

We'll prob see two different DFC teams play in these two matches. The league game will probably closely mirror
the selection that SK goes with tomorrow, maybe no more than two changes, but for the cup game, I think it won't be too far out from what we saw v Finn Harps.

Older readers might recall in the early 80's, I think we played Athlone at home in successive weeks, both clubs going for the league, almost sure we won the cup game (poss QF) and lost the league game, and they ended up champions.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Not too many times that we play two teams in seperate competitions in successive weeks. Cobh in League Cup and FAI Cup and Limerick in League and FAI Cup.
In Kenny we Trust

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 am

mike wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:It's not particularly attractive to be playing Limerick away on successive weeks, but it's still a decent draw.

We'll prob see two different DFC teams play in these two matches. The league game will probably closely mirror
the selection that SK goes with tomorrow, maybe no more than two changes, but for the cup game, I think it won't be too far out from what we saw v Finn Harps.

Older readers might recall in the early 80's, I think we played Athlone at home in successive weeks, both clubs going for the league, almost sure we won the cup game (poss QF) and lost the league game, and they ended up champions.

You may be mixing that up with Limerick where we played them twice in succession in the early 80’s. The first was an infamous cup game marred by lots of retribution trouble (Dundalk fans had been jumped in the first league game on Limerick) we got beateb 1-0 and we drew in the league the following week. Limerick went in to win the league. Still remember the shed running over the stand side to confront them, there was not a pool or snooker ball left in the town. Days pre segregation

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:19 am

mike wrote:We'll prob see two different DFC teams play in these two matches. The league game will probably closely mirror

I am not so sure about that - as highlighted previously there is a 2 week gap between the cup match and our next fixture against Cork.

SK has to balance winning all games and keeping all key squad players match sharp - maybe he will arrange a friendly for Sept 14

thelimerickboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby thelimerickboy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 pm

What’s not attractive about it?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:29 pm

thelimerickboy wrote:

Two long away trips in a row and no home match for an age.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
mike wrote:

You may be mixing that up with Limerick where we played them twice in succession in the early 80’s. The first was an infamous cup game marred by lots of retribution trouble (Dundalk fans had been jumped in the first league game on Limerick) we got beateb 1-0 and we drew in the league the following week. Limerick went in to win the league. Still remember the shed running over the stand side to confront them, there was not a pool or snooker ball left in the town. Days pre segregation

I was Robbie and you were right. It was Limerick in early 80’s.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:18 pm

thelimerickboy wrote:

Travelling a longish journey to play the same team on successive weeks is not attractive for most supporters. It is no reflection on the city or the team!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Semi-Final draw on Soccer Republic tonight:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/09 ... 2-tonight/

A home draw please with the following preferences

1) Cork City
2) UCD
3) Derry or Bohs

followed by away to

4) UCD
5) Derry or Bohs
6) Cork City

Return to “General Discussion”