FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby colymull » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Outright winner betting

8/13 Dundalk
5/2 Cork City
5/1 Bohemians
18/1 UCD

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/ir ... cup/winner

Those Cork/Bohs odds are crazy. Should be the other way round! Surely current form has to be taken into account when setting odds. I know that the Cup is all cork have left to play for but unless there is a serious mood change in Turners Cross, I can only see one winner in that semi final.

King Kenny!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

colymull wrote:

8/13 Dundalk
5/2 Cork City
5/1 Bohemians
18/1 UCD

Those Cork/Bohs odds are crazy. Should be the other way round! Surely current form has to be taken into account when setting odds. I know that the Cup is all cork have left to play for but unless there is a serious mood change in Turners Cross, I can only see one winner in that semi final.

Colly would you lay 5/1 on Cork? Bookies aren't that crazy
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
colymull wrote:

8/13 Dundalk
5/2 Cork City
5/1 Bohemians
18/1 UCD

Colly would you lay 5/1 on Cork? Bookies aren't that crazy

I think its a massive price for Cork. Bohs, of course, are the form team but that will end at some stage soon. If Cork get their act together, they will beat Bohs. Odds will the change to probably 5\4 to lift cup.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:06 pm

The betting is that way alan because we are at home to a first division side in the semi. So obviously we appear to be favourites to make the final and ucd are rank outsiders playing away to the champions elect. Bohs are the inform team and have recently hammered cork at home who have lost 3 in a row and are away to bohs in the semi. If the cork bohs game goes yo a replay those odds will change significantly. If it ends up a dundalk cork final the odds will be a lot tighter with dundalk more than likely being slightly odds on favourites.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm

If Bohs win today are they guaranteed Euro football or does 4th place in the League take precedence? Still looking for a bonus if Rovers missing Europe to add to our double!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 pm

El Paso wrote:If Bohs win today are they guaranteed Euro football or does 4th place in the League take precedence? Still looking for a bonus if Rovers missing Europe to add to our double!

It used to be the case that the losing Cup Finalists qualified for Europe where the winners had already qualified. I don't know when it changed but it's certainly not recent. Bohs getting to the final would certainly ensure a good football match but would not be good for us. While we would playing for the kudos of doing the double, their prize is European football and the money that goes with it.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:31 pm

oldfogey wrote: Bohs getting to the final would certainly ensure a good football match but would not be good for us. While we would playing for the kudos of doing the double, their prize is European football and the money that goes with it.

I'm not so sure about that.

We are well capable of beating either team in the final. I doubt that Bohs would have more motivation than Cork and it is hard to predict which of them are likely to be the more difficult opponent. One thing for sure is that it is likely to be a more watchable match if Bohs are our opponents
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Derek Tomney. No surprise there.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Dont think we're in a position to complain after what Cleary got away with on Friday.

leesider
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby leesider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm

oldfogey wrote:Derek Tomney. No surprise there.

If you go in with your feet that high in the penalty area you run the risk of giving away a penalty.
I'm sure Keith Long will not agree but Bohs won't be overawed going to the cross to play us. I wouldn't make us favourites for the replay at all.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Thats a bit Dundalk fan like to be talking down favourites tag. Cork are favourites now imo with how things went away from Bohs in controversy and now face a packed partisan Turners Cross crowd. Cork show remarkable resilience eg keeping the pressure on Dundalk for as long as they did considering the winning run we were on and being completely outplayed in tonights semi final yet are still in the competition. That will be a boost for Cork morale and damage Bohs.

Imo the peno was very harsh with the Cork player catching the Bohs lad as he followed through in what was really a lash at the ball, wild enough in itself. The Bohs player got there first, nicked the ball away with the toe and got caught on sole of the boot. Painful when it happens especially for the player who is trying to put a boot through a ball. There have to be times when 'studs are up' and it not a foul or dangerous play - like in this case it was a toe poke which had studs high in the end (eyes totally on the ball) and not going through a player in a sliding tackle.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 pm

leesider wrote:
oldfogey wrote:Derek Tomney. No surprise there.

If you go in with your feet that high in the penalty area you run the risk of giving away a penalty.
I'm sure Keith Long will not agree but Bohs won't be overawed going to the cross to play us. I wouldn't make us favourites for the replay at all.

Never give officials in the LOI a chance to screw you. It was not a tackle Bohs needed to make. Any team would scream for a penalty if an opposition player made that tackle.

I couldn't believe how poor Cork were. Bohs must be kicking themselves. How they react to the disappointment of drawing the game today will decide the replay.

My gut instinct is that Cork's experience will send them through.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

White Horse wrote:
My gut instinct is that Cork's experience will send them through.

That's my instinct also, although if Bohs did manage to pull it off, a game of football would be likely in the Aviva - there is little chance if Cork are there
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Same. Can’t say another war of attrition extra time match in the aviva is all that appealing.

If Leahy had gone through the Cork player front on while winning the ball I’d say penalty, careless play, even though he wins it. But he wins it cleanly, doesn’t make any contact with the leading foot, and doesn’t catch the player on the follow through either. It’s not even close and It’s him that gets kicked when McCarthy follows through on him. It’s a terrible decision.

Every player in the League needs to be told to stay on their feet because you should never give an idiot a choice to make

I still fancy Bohs. They’ll know they have the measure of Cork.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:05 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Dont think we're in a position to complain after what Cleary got away with on Friday.
what world are you living in ,what has the foul cleary made on fri night got do do with that balls of a decision to give a penalty to cork . what cleary did was a clear foul and was punished ,bohs went out to play football and did so for long periods and deservedly lead until that decision.they were robbed and so more punished by ref for been a good young footballing side who has a hunger in them to get to the final.never a penalty .and as for decisions how many times did that fcuking tout bennet go in on the keeper and got away with it done it in oriel flattened rogers to the ground in the lead up to the goal ,obvious thats the way cauliflower head trains them .hope bohs stuff them in turners cross

Return to “General Discussion”