Return of the MC

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Return of the MC

Postby colymull » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am

McEleney confirmed on a 3 and a half year deal, serious bit of business by the club. Great addition and adds serious strength to an already strong squad.

King Kenny!

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Return of the MC

Postby White Horse » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

A big statement by the new owners. 3.5 year deal.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

The length of the contract shows serious intent
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 am

Great to have him back, serious competition for that number 10 role, maybe Adorjan won't be kept

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 am

No squad needs 3 number 10's so something has to give. Whether that's now or in November is anyone's guess.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:12 am

It's quite possible the club don't intend looking for long term postponements if we progress in Europe, just moved to a Sunday. You don't want what happened before where we were running on fumes for the last 5 weeks of the season.

McEleney became our 10 because Finn put money over his career. I think he could just as easily compete for Robbie Benson's spot.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:No squad needs 3 number 10's so something has to give. Whether that's now or in November is anyone's guess.

I suppose that's the common wisdom, but it was interesting to see McGrath play a non-typical role last Friday where he spend most of his time inside, rather than hugging the touchline in traditional winger fashion.

Any two from the trio of McEleney, McGrath and Adorjan can play together. If you accept oldfogey's suggestion it's not impossible that all three could play in the same team

oldfogey wrote:McEleney became our 10 because Finn put money over his career. I think he could just as easily compete for Robbie Benson's spot.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Quayman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 pm

It's on sky sports news that he has joined for an undisclosed fee!
Neale Fenn....SCUM

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Oldham fan on Twitter said 50K.

Serious statement of intent being made by the club. Whatever about Oriel it seems the owners are determined on that he playing side as promised. Never thought I’d see the likes of this at any club, never mind ours.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:No squad needs 3 number 10's so something has to give. Whether that's now or in November is anyone's guess.

I suppose that's the common wisdom, but it was interesting to see McGrath play a non-typical role last Friday where he spend most of his time inside, rather than hugging the touchline in traditional winger fashion.

Any two from the trio of McEleney, McGrath and Adorjan can play together. If you accept oldfogey's suggestion it's not impossible that all three could play in the same team

oldfogey wrote:McEleney became our 10 because Finn put money over his career. I think he could just as easily compete for Robbie Benson's spot.

Add in Duffy and you have a quartet who could comfortably interchange and play in any if the four positions. Not best suited to every game - or opposition - but a terrifying and eclectic mix of speed and skill.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:25 pm

McEleney, McGrath, Adorjan, Murray, Benson, Connolly, Duffy, SOD, Shields, Chevdukas. That's 10 midfielders, not counting Poynton etc. Hoban, Marco, Kelly, Byrne up front. Four good centre halves, two left backs. It's some squad and I hope we can afford it.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm

seand wrote:McEleney, McGrath, Adorjan, Murray, Benson, Connolly, Duffy, SOD, Shields, Chevdukas. That's 10 midfielders, not counting Poynton etc. Hoban, Marco, Kelly, Byrne up front. Four good centre halves, two left backs. It's some squad and I hope we can afford it.

"and I hope we can afford it." That's going through my mind too.
The Back of the Wall

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Wexford White wrote:
seand wrote:McEleney, McGrath, Adorjan, Murray, Benson, Connolly, Duffy, SOD, Shields, Chevdukas. That's 10 midfielders, not counting Poynton etc. Hoban, Marco, Kelly, Byrne up front. Four good centre halves, two left backs. It's some squad and I hope we can afford it.

"and I hope we can afford it." That's going through my mind too.

I'm sure Peake6 are fully conversant with the SCP (Salary Cost Protocol). Total wage bill for players and management cannot exceed 65% of total income. If it's a bit light, they add some investment/sponsorship at the year end (NO LOANS). If they were building/buying a squad to win the league, we have already overspent in terms the return (€110k or similar). These guys really are looking at group stage football as an achievable goal. Win 2 rounds of the CL, you get €1M. Win 3 rounds and it's guaranteed group stage football. That 3rd Round is the one they are building for.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 pm

McGrath and McEleney played plenty together last year so thats not an issue. McEleney was our best player last year also and was second to Maguire for POTY. McGrath would only sign a one year extension, Duffy out of contract at end of Season and talk of move to Bristol. Benson out of contact this year too, Odonnell likewise and probably wont get a new one becasue of injuries, add to that Adorjans loan finishes in 4 weeks, there are plenty of reasons Kenny wanted Pat back.
In Kenny we Trust

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am

Ezeikial wrote:

McGrath is a lot more than a number 10.

As Ezeikial says, he played a very clever role on Friday, alternating between the right wing and a additional central midfielder.

I also think he has all the attributes to player a deeper midfielder role, a classic number 6 for example.

He is still very young and needs experience, but he is at right club to get it.

Return to “General Discussion”