FCI Levadia V Dundalk | Thursday 12 July | 5:00pm(Irish time) | Kadriog Stadion | EL QR1 1st Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: FCI Levadia V Dundalk | Thursday 12 July | 5:00pm(Irish time) | Kadriog Stadion | EL QR1 1st Leg

Postby DundalkChampions » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Here we go again , ground limited to 3,000. Can anyone estimate how many tickets we would sell , if Oriel was up to standard required .

Considering it is not sold out yet, prob around 3000

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: FCI Levadia V Dundalk | Thursday 12 July | 5:00pm(Irish time) | Kadriog Stadion | EL QR1 1st Leg

Postby Townfan7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Started somewhat nervously & were up against an aggressive Tallinn side who were greatly assisted by the ref. Still throughout the game Tallinn offered little other than a late chance which was well saved from Rogers. Second half settled much better with Duffy & Benson along with Connolly who were able to get going, this resulted in a deserved goal from Connolly. If the truth be told there were good chances from Benson, Hoban & Connolly to add to the score, the tie should have been wrapped up out there. Hoban was well policed throughout but I'd be optimistic Dundalk can comfortably finish the job next week.

On the trip itself, it was a great place to go & see really enjoyable. Good fun in Mad Murphys who kindly gave all Dundalk supporters a 10% discount on food & drink on the Wednesday night, it's nice to be appreciated, fair play.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Would 3,000 not be Mickey Mouse , if & when Oriel is knocked down by new owners .

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Johnnybegood33 wrote:Would 3,000 not be Mickey Mouse , if & when Oriel is knocked down by new owners .

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.. just worry about winning through to the next round would you!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Just drove down Thomas St., saw Tootsie standing at his gate having a chat. Brought back some memories, given the week that's in it.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 pm

No , I don’t worry about the team Niall , it’s the kip that is Oriel beamed all around Europe , that’s an embarrassment. Chill.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 pm

oldfogey wrote:Just drove down Thomas St., saw Tootsie standing at his gate having a chat. Brought back some memories, given the week that's in it.

Was before my time but seemingly hard as nails, served my mother in a shop when I was with her as a child and I didn’t know who he was, pure gentleman and gentle as anything

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Saw him play , loads today of times , nobody got by him.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
oldfogey wrote:Just drove down Thomas St., saw Tootsie standing at his gate having a chat. Brought back some memories, given the week that's in it.

Was before my time but seemingly hard as nails, served my mother in a shop when I was with her as a child and I didn’t know who he was, pure gentleman and gentle as anything

He worked in Wallace's Seed shop at the square, it might even be the one where 3rd place started off. My father always spoke of him as a true gentleman as well, always a smile on his face and time for a chat, even to this day.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Saw him play , loads today of times , nobody got by him.

Me too, tough player.
The Back of the Wall

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Seemingly we had 250-300 fans there, more than we had against bigger teams and games in the 70’s and 80’s Spurs, Porto, PSV, Celtic. Cheap travel and more disposable income a big factor but imagine going to Parkhead now for a chance to get in to the CL QF v Real Madrid! I do remember listening to the Spurs away game on the radio and you could hear the Dundalk fans. We also had a handclap going at the time that I swear I could hear Spurs copying in a game on MOTD the next season, would be good to hear from anyone who was at these games, how many did we bring and what the experiences were like?

marvin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marvin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 am

I played against him. If memory serves he was an excellent right footed left back, and I was always proud to see him play regularly for Irelands amateur International team. A gentleman indeed.
Tomorrow is another day.

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Colin Gallagher » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am

May as well have a moan at the Levadia stadium setup. One queue for buying tickets then you had to walk to the back of a massive line to actually get in!! Someone had a word with 5 seconds to go before kick off and a fella opened the big gate and took everyone's ticket while saying "no drinks allowed" (while the other queue got searched). They were not prepared for the numbers of fans. At all. Wonder did the UEFA observer notice this security breach!
Levadia is a strange little team; I think all fans there were Russian.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am

Not sure if anyone else went up to that big gate, but i did Colin at about 5-10 mins before kick off as we realised that we would miss the start. It seemed a ridiculous set up as we joined the que to buy tickets around 20 mins before kick off, then as you said had to re-join a much bigger que to gain admission!

I politely asked the officials inside to get some more staff and to open the bigger gate and told them most would miss the kick off, they eventually agreed. Even at that point we had to run to the other side and missed the first 2 minutes, as where you entered the ground wasn’t even the section we were going to. Would have made more sense to have had a gate at the main stand side.

On the Russian thing, we asked a bit about Levadi locally in the days leading up to the game, most said they had indeed Russian links and therefore didn’t get much support from the city, might explain the poor crowd for the game (prob 850 max) and I think they only get 400-500 for league games.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Caoimhin Reilly's account of the Tallinn trip

Dundalk's Takeover of Tallinn - a look back on one of the great League of Ireland trips

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... trips.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Return to “General Discussion”