Dundalk V AEK Larnaca | Thurs 26 July | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | EL QR2 1st Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V AEK Larnaca | Thurs 26 July | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | EL QR2 1st Leg

Postby Sneachta » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am

Now that you've seen the game and you know all about Dundalk, how do you think the tie will go next week? Will your four absentees return next week?

It has to be noted that your experienced players are all a year older. Still think they are able for the high tempo of European football?

It was a good game I thought. Both teams had chances. I hope your visiting supporters enjoyed the "close" and "welcoming" atmosphere. I had two Larnaca supporters sitting incognito in front of me. I think they were glad with a 0-0 after such an edgy and intense game.
Last edited by Sneachta on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V AEK Larnaca | Thurs 26 July | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | EL QR2 1st Leg

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 am

Off the Ball reporter question to Stephen Kenny:

The referee seemed to frustrate you?

What an understatement, although SK gives a measured response

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1 ... 0889164800
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V AEK Larnaca | Thurs 26 July | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | EL QR2 1st Leg

Postby Sneachta » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 am

Ezeikial wrote:Off the Ball reporter question to Stephen Kenny:

The referee seemed to frustrate you?

What an understatement, although SK gives a measured response

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1 ... 0889164800
Measured response to say the least. He was also asked about his programme comments on the Pairc Uí Chaoimh situation. He would give Fran Gavin and Johnson Delaney a run for their money on how to answer questions lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:08 am

Very tough game. Ref was a joke ok. He surely will be removed afte that performance. As for the ‘red’ card ?

Some good displays all over the park by us. Thought Shields put in a great hard working performance and Connolly did a decent shift. His work rate is getting much better. The game seemed to bypass McGrath unfortunately.

I think we’ll score over there. Hopefully it will be enough. A 0-0 home draw against a team like this was a decent nights work.

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby OHare » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 am

I Think it was a great result. We had a p!ss poor referee which you wouldn't even see in the Winter League.
No away goals for Larnaca gives us a great advantage next week. Score draw next week does the job , although im Sure SK will play for a win.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:35 am

mike wrote:The game seemed to bypass McGrath unfortunately.

I think the problem was Robbie Benson.

He was pushing on too far in advance of Shields and McGrath. We ended up with vertical three in midfield. Anytime McGrath got the ball, there were no passing options. In addition, he kept having to fill the holes that was caused because Benson would chase the ball into the penalty box and when it came to nothing (as it always did) then he was out of the game. Benson's positioning was also causing a problem on the left as Duffy kept having to tuck in and they had free reign to attack Massey (and he was on a yellow card for most of the game).

If it wasn't for Chris Shields we would have been well beaten. He did the job of two players. No one should play in Europe with their midfield wide open like we had last night.

When McEleney came on we started to look a lot more solid as Benson was told to sit in midfield alongside Shields, as Kenny knew that Fats doesn't have the legs or the tendency to fill gaps and track back like McGrath.

Lots of tactical work to be done for the away tie.

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Weelilywhite » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:09 am

In fairness to our Cofk City supporter who contributes to our forum, he did say that last year every time tLarnaca were challenged for a ball they lay down and claimed a free. Given that the winners of this leg play an Austrian team in the next round, can an Austrian ref be totally independent . The heat out there will be a factor next week as well as the game against Bohs on Sun night

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 am

The referee was very poor last night, but for people to be questioning his impartiality is absurd. If he really wanted to benefit the Austrian team we might play next round then we would be the team benefiting from any dubious decisions because, believe it or not, we aren't feared across the continent. Most opposition managers comment on our tough "British-style" football which couldn't be further from the truth and gives us an advantage in Europe to surprise teams that are better than us and AEK are a better team than us. The ref was ridiculous but he reffed both teams very similar, we were just the more physical team on the night so were penalised more than AEK.
Mon the Town!

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am

still buzzing from last night. thought it was an intriguing contest with key battles all over the pitch. next week will be a cracker and I am very jealous I wont be going. Larnaca are decent side, very cork like with their cynicism. I had wondered were they got it from.

great atmosphere I really wish mickey duff would cut the shit out pre match. the shed were sing to their hearts content and you couldn't hear them in the stand. you want an atmosphere and we get and he kills it with nessun dorma.

The ref was poor and I never seen a red card rescinded. But as some players said in post match interviews at least he rescinded his earlier error. some refs wouldn't.

2nd leg is a cup final now. even if we go a goal down we are a goal away from leading the tie. I think we can do it.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

colymull wrote:Happy to get away without them scoring, puts us in the driving seat for next week. Thought everyone put in a massive shift. Connolly and Duffy caused their 2 full backs all kinds of trouble. We missed Gannon’s runs up the right hand side, Hoare did well in there, but he’s not as attacking as Ganno. McEleney made a serious difference when he came on.
1-1 is all we need!!!

How could I forget to mention Chris Sheilds!! The man is absolutely immense!! He is playing the best football of his career, and has stepped into the SO’D role with ease. I dread to think where we would be without him. He really doesn’t get the plaudits that he deserves. A proper unsung hero.
King Kenny!

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby OHare » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:29 am

Johnny Guitar wrote:great atmosphere I really wish mickey duff would cut the shit out pre match. the shed were sing to their hearts content and you couldn't hear them in the stand. you want an atmosphere and we get and he kills it with nessun dorma.

Fully agree with the above. Each week its drowning out the pre game atmosphere. He should stick to his pre game announcements and team news and Cut the Music about 2-3 minutes before the teams come out.

As for Nessun Dorma , I wonder is it Micky Duffy who decided this would be some sort of Unofficial Dundalk song for the year or was it The Club. Place turns to silence when its been played, but fair play to the SHED for trying to drown it out last night.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Johnny Guitar wrote:great atmosphere I really wish mickey duff would cut the shit out pre match. the shed were sing to their hearts content and you couldn't hear them in the stand. you want an atmosphere and we get and he kills it with nessun dorma.

OHare wrote:As for Nessun Dorma , I wonder is it Micky Duffy who decided this would be some sort of Unofficial Dundalk song for the year or was it The Club. Place turns to silence when its been played, but fair play to the SHED for trying to drown it out last night.

I too am fed up with Mickey Duffy, Nessun Dorma and playing music after we score. I sometime feel like he does it just to justify his job, which is a necessary one for important announcements like attendance or cars blocking entrances, but he's not the club DJ ffs. I have resorted to contacting the club to complain about it as it really does kill atmosphere and there is absolutely no need for it. I urge everyone who feels the same way about it to do the same and maybe someone at the club will have a word with him. You can send the club an email via the contact form on the club's website: https://www.dundalkfc.com/club/contact-information/
Mon the Town!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 pm

OHare wrote:

Fully agree with the above. Each week its drowning out the pre game atmosphere. He should stick to his pre game announcements and team news and Cut the Music about 2-3 minutes before the teams come out.

As for Nessun Dorma , I wonder is it Micky Duffy who decided this would be some sort of Unofficial Dundalk song for the year or was it The Club. Place turns to silence when its been played, but fair play to the SHED for trying to drown it out last night.

He mentioned how Nessun Dorma has been our lucky mascot this season so I reckon we are stuck with it.
Someone really needs to have a word with him. The club put out a statement trying to get everyone in their seats by 7pm and get the atmosphere going, which is what happened. Except Mickey Duffy turned his PA up to 11 to try and drown out any singing. When I went in he was playing The Smiths. Now, I like The Smiths, but if there’s a band that you want to get a party atmosphere going, The Smiths definitely aren’t the one!!
King Kenny!

AEKARA
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AEKARA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Sneachta wrote:Now that you've seen the game and you know all about Dundalk, how do you think the tie will go next week? Will your four absentees return next week?

It has to be noted that your experienced players are all a year older. Still think they are able for the high tempo of European football?

It was a good game I thought. Both teams had chances. I hope your visiting supporters enjoyed the "close" and "welcoming" atmosphere. I had two Larnaca supporters sitting incognito in front of me. I think they were glad with a 0-0 after such an edgy and intense game.

Only Daniel Mojsov will return, tell me ur messenger name and we shall chat on their if u have Facebook/Messenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Perhaps the worst display of referring seen in Oriel Park & for it to occur in an European fixture beggars belief. That said, it was still a great but tense night of football. After 10 or so minutes I thought we were going to be in trouble. To Dundalk's credit we kept going with Cleary ( great to see him back) & Gartland along with Hoban leading the way. I'd agree with some on here that Benson had another poor shift, he just drifts out of games & he rather than MC Grath was the sub for MC Eleney in my humble opinion. When on I also thought MC Eleney gave us an extra bite & he seemed to glide pass the opposition with ease. Duffy & Connolly played well also to their credit.

Overall it's still game on & every chance to progress, an away goal is not beyond us & if got early it's going to make things very interesting. Let's hope the heat doesn't play too big a part from our point of view.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Return to “General Discussion”