Larnaca Away

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Larnaca Away

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:59 pm

This year? Yeah.
Last edited by El Paso on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:59 pm

3 decent chances in the second half. Have to be taking at least one of them.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:01 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:3 decent chances in the second half. Have to be taking at least one of them.

Our chance conversion ratio sucks, which is bizarre with our GD, but it’s true

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Larnaca Away

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

El Paso wrote:This year? Yeah.
I agree. But it's clear the investment in players that needs to be made. There is only one Cypriot on the starting 11 for AEK. We should be looking further afield for players and looking to really hold onto players like Adorjan. Ifs and buts. There will be lots of debate after this performance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Their plan seems to be two-pronged - Euro money and player sales. Any next level players we sign will be on that basis I think.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:18 pm

4-0

We’ve been thrashed. Reminds me of the Varteks game tbh.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:27 pm

El Paso wrote:4-0

We’ve been thrashed. Reminds me of the Varteks game tbh.

Lucky Larnaca were in pre season and missing half a dozen of their best players. Otherwise it would have been on a par with Ian Fosters european efforts

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 pm

I must say that it showed we badly miss a midfielder who can get on the ball and dictate play. It always shows when we play a good side. Benson isn’t it.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:55 pm

El Paso wrote:I must say that it showed we badly miss a midfielder who can get on the ball and dictate play. It always shows when we play a good side. Benson isn’t it.

We really miss O'Donnell in games like this.
Benson has been poor all season, he has nobody to push him for his place and now Chevdukas is rumoured to need an operation on his ankle that'll keep him out for the rest of the season.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Let’s all take a breather. We played poorly, things went wrong from the start, our tactics were wrong and we stood off too much, too many players were way off par. If we played like this versus Rovers or Cork they would beat us. So we were poor and this side are better than us. We needed a 9 out of 10 performance to beat them and we out in a 4 in the first half and 7 in the second. Players are human they make mistakes, it is the first defeat in about 15 games. let’s put it behind us and win the league and get behind the team. Kenny is smart enough to analyse and figure out what went wrong and fix it. Top of the league and in theee cups. Let’s be positive and shove it back down Corks throats. As the last man standing on the shed at Linfield 79 said ‘stand yis r ground’

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:01 pm

El Paso wrote:They hit the post then Hoban misses our first half chance. I’ll tell you I know people will argue the toss about League v Europa, Sligo v Bohs, rotation v sticking... but leaving Hoban on for 85 in Sunday was just stupidity, end of. He’s fucked.

And then Georgie Kelly didn't even make the bench tonight?

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Once upon a time a result like this was the norm. Today it's a rarity. These things happen.
Let's move on.
The Back of the Wall

ruckyhill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ruckyhill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:Let’s all take a breather. We played poorly, things went wrong from the start, our tactics were wrong and we stood off too much, too many players were way off par. If we played like this versus Rovers or Cork they would beat us. So we were poor and this side are better than us. We needed a 9 out of 10 performance to beat them and we out in a 4 in the first half and 7 in the second. Players are human they make mistakes, it is the first defeat in about 15 games. let’s put it behind us and win the league and get behind the team. Kenny is smart enough to analyse and figure out what went wrong and fix it. Top of the league and in theee cups. Let’s be positive and shove it back down Corks throats. As the last man standing on the shed at Linfield 79 said ‘stand yis r ground’

Great post. There will hopefully be Champions League qualifiers to look forward to next year.

I was there in '79 btw although nowhere near the last man standing!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Prophets of doom and gloom are rarely slow to appear when there is a setback

To ask if the Americans will be happy with this defeat is the ultimate rhetorical question. I truly doubt if there is anyone even tenuously associated with the club who is not disappointed by the result. But to suggest that Kenny will be under increased pressure for his position is nonsensical.

The defeat tonight was so comprehensive that ultimately it may force a significant reflection - in terms of selection, rotation of players, tactics and other aspects. But the biggest realisation may be that we do not have the quality in the team & squad that is required to successfully negotiate our way to the group stages or to compete meaningfully against the better sides.

I suspect that the club owners and Stephen Kenny, along with the various management staff, have enough savvy to understand that the lessons need to be identified together and acted on as a club through collaborating rather than through divisiveness.

It is possible that tonights disaster could be the catalyst for significant improvement in the seasons ahead
Last edited by Ezeikial on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 pm

ruckyhill wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:Let’s all take a breather. We played poorly, things went wrong from the start, our tactics were wrong and we stood off too much, too many players were way off par. If we played like this versus Rovers or Cork they would beat us. So we were poor and this side are better than us. We needed a 9 out of 10 performance to beat them and we out in a 4 in the first half and 7 in the second. Players are human they make mistakes, it is the first defeat in about 15 games. let’s put it behind us and win the league and get behind the team. Kenny is smart enough to analyse and figure out what went wrong and fix it. Top of the league and in theee cups. Let’s be positive and shove it back down Corks throats. As the last man standing on the shed at Linfield 79 said ‘stand yis r ground’

Great post. There will hopefully be Champions League qualifiers to look forward to next year.

I was there in '79 btw although nowhere near the last man standing!

Thanks. I think the last man standing was Coco Conroy who I also remember climbing up and down the stantions of the shed during the Spurs game and the crowd singing his name. The Linfield game was and remains only the second i have ever watched from the stand, also far away from the shed but i was still scared shitless.

It is a tough night but there is still lots to look forward to this season. Come on the town.

Return to “General Discussion”