Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 am

Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
What part is annoying you?


If every time someone wants to discuss team selection someone just responds with "In Kenny we trust".

That annoys me.

And by his own admission we didn't get the results we could have got in our last two Europa League group stage matches because our lads were dead on their feet and he spoke about needing a bigger squad. Yet now he has one and doesn't use it.


Have you considered that it is possible to both simultaneously agree with the points you are making AND express trust in Stephen Kenny's judgement?


Yes, but it doesn't make for great discussion if every post has to be qualified with some version of 'but the manager knows best'.
Last edited by El Paso on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.



Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
The attendance was the same but was made up of several hundred Bohs fans and there were many who did not get a ticket last week. 3100 is a good crowd and 10% of the population is good, I do get that. I do believe we should be striving for more because of the standard of football on offer, the success of the team, we are top teams of the league, the fact it was a beautiful night for football and the unfulfilled demand from last week. There are more than 4K football fans in the town. We all know people who are football fans who don’t go. Even with the current standard of the ground we should be striving for bigger and better. It is the mentality that has produced the success on the pitch.


Always strive to get in as many as possible, absolutely. Always want more. But I'm telling you now we're not going to break an average of 3,500 without major improvements to the ground. You physically can't see the whole pitch from large sections of the ground. Where I was in the Shed on Thursday I had a steel beam blocking my view of the Town end goal and couldn't see the top right quarter of the pitch. At best I was vaguely aware of the chances Duffy and Hoban had. The atmosphere was amazing, but I didn't actually see much of the match! It's much easier to *watch* on TV or skorlive, frankly.


I take your point and I do hope that a quality ground would add 800 to our average attendance. Currently the team is training in mostly sub standard facilities and playing in a sub standard stadium on a surface they don’t really like, they are not letting these obstacles in their way and have already broken through the glass ceiling of Europa group qualification. It would be good if our fan base could regularly do the same. I know I can only speak for myself but the state of a stadium would never stop me from seeing my team. I find it hard to accept that this is stopping other people from going though you are probably right it may be. Let’s hope our current success continues on the pitch and translate to ground improvements in the near future. In the meantime let’s get as many people up to Oriel as possible.


Ps you don’t get last Thursday’s atmosphere on the telly, would rather have a restricted view and be there, it was truly wonderful

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I know I can only speak for myself but the state of a stadium would never stop me from seeing my team. I find it hard to accept that this is stopping other people from going though you are probably right it may be.

Ps you don’t get last Thursday’s atmosphere on the telly, would rather have a restricted view and be there, it was truly wonderful


I know, I was there.

There are about 2,000 people you can say that for, and they're the heartbeat of the club.

But after that there are people for whom life just gets in the way - people who are tired and just want to sit on their couch at the end of a long week; people who say 'you know what, I can't be arsed watching Bray'; people who know that if it rains they'll get drowned; people who just shelled out to get the car fixed or buy school uniforms or whatever who don't have the cash; people who have to drive and had to park a mile away last time they went to Oriel; people who see police dogs and horses who think 'that doesn't look good'; people who don't like the effin and blinding; people who see Shamrock Rovers fans acting like tramps and decide the rugby crowd are nicer; people who don't want to have their kids out til 10pm; people for whom turning up religiously 20+ times a year just isn't a thing they've ever done; people who are event junkies...

So instead of the 4,000 - 5,000 we should conceivably get, we get 2,500 - 3,000.

The club can do nothing about most of that. But what it can do is strive to make the match-going experience as attractive as possible so that as well as watching good football it's a place you want to visit of an evening. And to be fair they've brought it up a notch this year. But there's a bucket load more that can be done if the new owners are prepared to do it.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Shoco » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:13 pm

After Thursday our next two games are both against cobh I think, plenty of chance there to rotate players so maybe this came into his thinking for last night

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5970
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:37 pm

El Paso wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:
If every time someone wants to discuss team selection someone just responds with "In Kenny we trust".

That annoys me.

And by his own admission we didn't get the results we could have got in our last two Europa League group stage matches because our lads were dead on their feet and he spoke about needing a bigger squad. Yet now he has one and doesn't use it.


Have you considered that it is possible to both simultaneously agree with the points you are making AND express trust in Stephen Kenny's judgement?


Yes, but it doesn't make for great discussion if every post has to be qualified with some version of 'but the manager knows best'.


Well evidently he does know best. unless you have won 3 in a row and managed a team to the group stages of the Europa cup that none of us know about? That is why Stephen is the manager and you me and everyone else is sitting in the stand!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm

El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I know I can only speak for myself but the state of a stadium would never stop me from seeing my team. I find it hard to accept that this is stopping other people from going though you are probably right it may be.

Ps you don’t get last Thursday’s atmosphere on the telly, would rather have a restricted view and be there, it was truly wonderful


I know, I was there.

There are about 2,000 people you can say that for, and they're the heartbeat of the club.

But after that there are people for whom life just gets in the way - people who are tired and just want to sit on their couch at the end of a long week; people who say 'you know what, I can't be arsed watching Bray'; people who know that if it rains they'll get drowned; people who just shelled out to get the car fixed or buy school uniforms or whatever who don't have the cash; people who have to drive and had to park a mile away last time they went to Oriel; people who see police dogs and horses who think 'that doesn't look good'; people who don't like the effin and blinding; people who see Shamrock Rovers fans acting like tramps and decide the rugby crowd are nicer; people who don't want to have their kids out til 10pm; people for whom turning up religiously 20+ times a year just isn't a thing they've ever done; people who are event junkies...

So instead of the 4,000 - 5,000 we should conceivably get, we get 2,500 - 3,000.

The club can do nothing about most of that. But what it can do is strive to make the match-going experience as attractive as possible so that as well as watching good football it's a place you want to visit of an evening. And to be fair they've brought it up a notch this year. But there's a bucket load more that can be done if the new owners are prepared to do it.


All good points well made and I don’t disagree with any of them. They don’t apply to me but I can see the bigger picture and your wider perspective. I do believe there are some people that none of these things apply, they have money, love football and have just not given Oriel a go. I know several who fell out of the habit years ago and have not come back. It is frustrating as these are the glory years and the more the merrier in all senses of the expression. There were also many who could not get tickets for Sunday, many may be the event junkies you mentioned who did not give Sunday a go. Let’s hope that the improvements continue at a pace and you are proved correct. Roll on Thursday

User avatar
Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:47 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Well evidently he does know best. unless you have won 3 in a row and managed a team to the group stages of the Europa cup that none of us know about? That is why Stephen is the manager and you me and everyone else is sitting in the stand!


Like in Kenny we trust
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Shoco wrote:After Thursday our next two games are both against cobh I think, plenty of chance there to rotate players so maybe this came into his thinking for last night


Yeah, the fixtures look pretty light in August if we don't make it past Larnaca so that could well be it.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Its fine saying we trust Stephen Kenny. Of course we all do and if every discussion around every match was reduced to that then we may as well shut down the forum.
If SK wants to work with, and can be successful with a squad of 19 then great, use the money that we are currently paying 4 other players (one of whom was commentating for LMFM last night) to employ additional shop staff, sales & marketing people, put it towards gradual ground improvements, improved ticketing systems etc. etc.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm
Location: The Sticks
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Townfan7 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:18 pm

I did think Stepen Kenny might have made one or two more changes for the Bohs game however, he certainly knows best & the important thing here is that the 3 points were achieved.

Shields gave yet another MOTM performance, with the season progressing into its final third, he must be miles ahead for player of the year, (if we had one). I thought the game passed by Mc Grath & Benson only go going when Mc Eleney was introduced. Its going to be interesting to see who will line out in midfield come Thursday. Also, if Gannon returns, will Cleary be sacrificed for Hoare in centre half, it would be hard on Cleary if this comes to pass.

We again move on & fingers & everything else crossed we can get through on Thursday. Best of luck to the team & all travelling to Cyprus, please bring home a win.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4802
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Its fine saying we trust Stephen Kenny. Of course we all do and if every discussion around every match was reduced to that then we may as well shut down the forum.


This is essentially what El Paso has been saying also.

But it is simply not true to say that every discussion is reduced to this one single aspect.

The fact that SK has proven himself over and over again is clearly very relevant in the discussion about his actions and team selections. In my opinion It would be equally foolish to exclude this vast and successful experience from the discussion, as it would be to rely exclusively on this point.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7550
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby mike » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:35 pm

I was thinking post match that Ronan Murray must be feeling fairly out of the picture these days. Surely he should have been considered to start yesterday or at very worst being given some minutes?

In saying that it was good to see Chevedukas slot in like he did. He only got 15 mins but I thought he did ok.


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests