Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:38 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I do wish the thousand or so who were either there on Thursday and not tonight or could not get tickets on Thursday, had made the trek to Oriel tonight.


The attendance was identical last night - 3100. It's 10% of the population of the town turning up twice in four days!

We're not going to do better than that for regular League games, certainly not before Oriel is improved.
Last edited by El Paso on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.



User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:46 am

I bang on about rotation but I think last night was an error. Either the lads we can bring in are good enough to still get the results, or they shouldn't be at the club. Jarvis came in and I thought played better than I've seen Massey play in a long time. Hoban didn't need to start and Benson has been off it for a while now too. Duffy could have probably used a rest. Gartland was bailed out twice last night at least, though with Gannon and Folan injured we probably had no choice but to play him. Thursday's a huge challenge just from the heat alone and the least he could have done was give a few of them as much rest as possible.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 am

El Paso wrote:I bang on about rotation but I think last night was an error. Either the lads we can bring in are good enough to still get the results, or they shouldn't be at the club. Jarvis came in and I thought played better than I've seen Massey play in a long time. Hoban didn't need to start and Benson has been off it for a while now too. Duffy could have probably used a rest. Gartland was bailed out twice last night at least, though with Gannon and Folan injured we probably had no choice but to play him. Thursday's a huge challenge just from the heat alone and the least he could have done was give a few of them as much rest as possible.


I agree with this, but Stephen Kenny is absolutely 100% deserving of our trust
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 am

Ah c'mon. The man is the best thing to ever happen the football club. In my lifetime anyway. But there's not much point in having a football forum if every post about the football team gets that response.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 am

El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I do wish the thousand or so who were either there on Thursday and not tonight or could not get tickets on Thursday, had made the trek to Oriel tonight.


The attendance was identical last night - 3100. It's 10% of the population of the town turning up twice in four days!

We're not going to do better than that for regular League games, certainly not before Oriel is improved.


The attendance was the same but was made up of several hundred Bohs fans and there were many who did not get a ticket last week. 3100 is a good crowd and 10% of the population is good, I do get that. I do believe we should be striving for more because of the standard of football on offer, the success of the team, we are top teams of the league, the fact it was a beautiful night for football and the unfulfilled demand from last week. There are more than 4K football fans in the town. We all know people who are football fans who don’t go. Even with the current standard of the ground we should be striving for bigger and better. It is the mentality that has produced the success on the pitch.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22 am

El Paso wrote:Ah c'mon. The man is the best thing to ever happen the football club. In my lifetime anyway. But there's not much point in having a football forum if every post about the football team gets that response.


What part is annoying you?

The fact that I agree with your post, or pointing out that the manager deserves our trust?

To expand on the latter he navigated us through the group stages and retaining the league in 2016 with very few changes.

He knows the players fitness and psychology better than you or I, and his decision is not whimisical.

I would have preferred that he rested several players last night and also won the game, but we don't know if this would have been the outcome.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby marmulade » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 am

Do you think because Dane Massey is the one that is most regularly rested indicates that he's managing some sort of problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby White Horse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:42 am

El Paso wrote:I bang on about rotation but I think last night was an error. Either the lads we can bring in are good enough to still get the results, or they shouldn't be at the club. Jarvis came in and I thought played better than I've seen Massey play in a long time. Hoban didn't need to start and Benson has been off it for a while now too. Duffy could have probably used a rest. Gartland was bailed out twice last night at least, though with Gannon and Folan injured we probably had no choice but to play him. Thursday's a huge challenge just from the heat alone and the least he could have done was give a few of them as much rest as possible.



Its not that they aren't good enough. Making a lot of changes means fielding a team of may never have played together before. This leads to mistakes at set pieces, an area where Bohs are well coached. I suspect that Kenny was in two minds about the approach last night but chose a practically unchanged side as being the less risky option.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5851
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am

I heard last night that Dane is suspended for Thursday night. So maybe it was to give Dean Jarvis some game time ahead of Thursday?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:I heard last night that Dane is suspended for Thursday night. So maybe it was to give Dean Jarvis some game time ahead of Thursday?

No there was a change in the rules this year so not suspended, would have been last season hence the confusion

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:17 am

Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:Ah c'mon. The man is the best thing to ever happen the football club. In my lifetime anyway. But there's not much point in having a football forum if every post about the football team gets that response.


What part is annoying you?


If every time someone wants to discuss team selection someone just responds with "In Kenny we trust".

That annoys me.

And by his own admission we didn't get the results we could have got in our last two Europa League group stage matches because our lads were dead on their feet and he spoke about needing a bigger squad. Yet now he has one and doesn't use it.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 am

White Horse wrote:
El Paso wrote:I bang on about rotation but I think last night was an error. Either the lads we can bring in are good enough to still get the results, or they shouldn't be at the club. Jarvis came in and I thought played better than I've seen Massey play in a long time. Hoban didn't need to start and Benson has been off it for a while now too. Duffy could have probably used a rest. Gartland was bailed out twice last night at least, though with Gannon and Folan injured we probably had no choice but to play him. Thursday's a huge challenge just from the heat alone and the least he could have done was give a few of them as much rest as possible.



Its not that they aren't good enough. Making a lot of changes means fielding a team of may never have played together before. This leads to mistakes at set pieces, an area where Bohs are well coached. I suspect that Kenny was in two minds about the approach last night but chose a practically unchanged side as being the less risky option.


That's fair enough and winning the League is absolutely vital.

But, again, if we can't rotate in three players without risking everything falling apart, then what on earth are we doing with a 23 man squad?

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I do wish the thousand or so who were either there on Thursday and not tonight or could not get tickets on Thursday, had made the trek to Oriel tonight.


The attendance was identical last night - 3100. It's 10% of the population of the town turning up twice in four days!

We're not going to do better than that for regular League games, certainly not before Oriel is improved.


The attendance was the same but was made up of several hundred Bohs fans and there were many who did not get a ticket last week. 3100 is a good crowd and 10% of the population is good, I do get that. I do believe we should be striving for more because of the standard of football on offer, the success of the team, we are top teams of the league, the fact it was a beautiful night for football and the unfulfilled demand from last week. There are more than 4K football fans in the town. We all know people who are football fans who don’t go. Even with the current standard of the ground we should be striving for bigger and better. It is the mentality that has produced the success on the pitch.


Always strive to get in as many as possible, absolutely. Always want more. But I'm telling you now we're not going to break an average of 3,500 without major improvements to the ground. You physically can't see the whole pitch from large sections of the ground. Where I was in the Shed on Thursday I had a steel beam blocking my view of the Town end goal and couldn't see the top right quarter of the pitch. At best I was vaguely aware of the chances Duffy and Hoban had. The atmosphere was amazing, but I didn't actually see much of the match! It's much easier to *watch* on TV or skorlive, frankly.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am

El Paso wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:Ah c'mon. The man is the best thing to ever happen the football club. In my lifetime anyway. But there's not much point in having a football forum if every post about the football team gets that response.


What part is annoying you?


If every time someone wants to discuss team selection someone just responds with "In Kenny we trust".

That annoys me.

And by his own admission we didn't get the results we could have got in our last two Europa League group stage matches because our lads were dead on their feet and he spoke about needing a bigger squad. Yet now he has one and doesn't use it.


Have you considered that it is possible to both simultaneously agree with the points you are making AND express trust in Stephen Kenny's judgement?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

El Paso wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
El Paso wrote:
The attendance was identical last night - 3100. It's 10% of the population of the town turning up twice in four days!

We're not going to do better than that for regular League games, certainly not before Oriel is improved.


The attendance was the same but was made up of several hundred Bohs fans and there were many who did not get a ticket last week. 3100 is a good crowd and 10% of the population is good, I do get that. I do believe we should be striving for more because of the standard of football on offer, the success of the team, we are top teams of the league, the fact it was a beautiful night for football and the unfulfilled demand from last week. There are more than 4K football fans in the town. We all know people who are football fans who don’t go. Even with the current standard of the ground we should be striving for bigger and better. It is the mentality that has produced the success on the pitch.


Always strive to get in as many as possible, absolutely. Always want more. But I'm telling you now we're not going to break an average of 3,500 without major improvements to the ground. You physically can't see the whole pitch from large sections of the ground. Where I was in the Shed on Thursday I had a steel beam blocking my view of the Town end goal and couldn't see the top right quarter of the pitch. At best I was vaguely aware of the chances Duffy and Hoban had. The atmosphere was amazing, but I didn't actually see much of the match! It's much easier to *watch* on TV or skorlive, frankly.


I take your point and I do hope that a quality ground would add 800 to our average attendance. Currently the team is training in mostly sub standard facilities and playing in a sub standard stadium on a surface they don’t really like, they are not letting these obstacles in their way and have already broken through the glass ceiling of Europa group qualification. It would be good if our fan base could regularly do the same. I know I can only speak for myself but the state of a stadium would never stop me from seeing my team. I find it hard to accept that this is stopping other people from going though you are probably right it may be. Let’s hope our current success continues on the pitch and translate to ground improvements in the near future. In the meantime let’s get as many people up to Oriel as possible.


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests