Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
DFCLife
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby DFCLife » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm

For anybody who didn't make the trip down there's a live stream on Harry Taaffe's Facebook page.


N'Golo Kanté has posters of Chris Shields on his bedroom wall

User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Wexford White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Not looking good, 0-1
The Back of the Wall

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby oldfogey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Woeful stuff. Their goal resulted from a straight giveaway in the middle of the park. A 25 yard pass to a Cobh player with no Dundalk player in sight. A through ball and Hull rounded Sava.

One shot on target for the whole game. Says it all really.

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby McGregor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 pm

So much for having a back up team that would finish mid table in the prem.. Worse still any benefit from not being in the final is lost with Derry winning. So our match with them on the 14th Sept will have to be refixed..

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1483
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby White Horse » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Dreadful give away ball from Massey. Shocking.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7550
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby mike » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm

McGregor wrote:So much for having a back up team that would finish mid table in the prem.. Worse still any benefit from not being in the final is lost with Derry winning. So our match with them on the 14th Sept will have to be refixed..


The league is obviously still the priority, but that’s pretty bad going down to a FD side that can’t even get promoted this season. The losing of the Fri night league date with Derry is another nuisance.

Sounds like Cobh thoroughly deserved this win mind, be nice for them to win the toss to host the final now.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby El Paso » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Just in from that.

The only positive is that players who badly need game time got some...

It was appalling. We played like a team that hasn’t played a competitive game in months, which 7 of them haven’t. Started in 2nd gear and never got out of it. It was easy for Cobh to close us down. First touches desperate, slow and underhit passes, no movement. Chvedukas and Poynton offered nothing, Massey looked disinterested, Sam Byrne might as well have just sat down in the pitch. Murray barely better. We created *nothing*. Their goalkeeper had an easy night, which is criminal. I wondered why we didn’t try a few shots from distance, and then the ones we did hit the chip van.

The goal they got was the third time they tried that move - win it and quick early ball through the middle.

Kenny got particularly angry after we went a goal down. He’ll have given them a bollocking. Have to say I don’t see a future for a few of them. Amazed at the contract given to Byrne.

Everything we tried was through Connolly on the left then later in the right. Cobh - a mid table Div1 side - had him for breakfast.

User avatar
DOOM
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby DOOM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Connolly not good enough. No idea what Kenny sees in him except the fact he paid a fee for him.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 am

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Blackandwhite10 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Can not believe what Massey was doing for the goal , passed the ball directly to there player in the middle of the park absolute shambles. The threat of the attackers was non existent through out, Connelly, mountny, Murray and Byrne. Offered very little. Treble dream out the window for another year.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby oldfogey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I think everyone needs to take a long look at themselves, and not just the players. While the starting XI may have looked strong from a name point of view, there was a serious lack of match practice in the team, and some of them were only returning from injury. When you take the bench into account, I'm wondering if Stephen Kenny wanted it that badly. Previous semi-finals had stronger backup. When was the last time we only named 6 subs?

There are some demons that need to be exorcised on Friday night, in terms of performance as well as result.

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby McGregor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 pm

The lack of game time for those outside the starting eleven has always been an issue with the manager. But that's his way, his choice and its been successful.
It's entirely up to the fringe players to grab their chance when it comes along, today will be a real eye opener. I'd be very surprised to see any of about 6/7 starters tonight starting another match this season barring a horrendous injury crisis.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Sneachta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 pm

You reap what you sew. Plenty of chances to play players and rotate through this season but Kenny has refused. I believe poynton and Murray should feel very hard done by to not get more league game time this season. As a result, rustiness shows when they are needed. Grabbing a chance requires some game time. Some of those lads have not played competitively in months. You can't just switch it on. As for Massey and Connolly there are no excuses. None!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Dundalk10 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 pm

McGregor wrote:The lack of game time for those outside the starting eleven has always been an issue with the manager. But that's his way, his choice and its been successful.
It's entirely up to the fringe players to grab their chance when it comes along, today will be a real eye opener. I'd be very surprised to see any of about 6/7 starters tonight starting another match this season barring a horrendous injury crisis.


Of the team that played tonight incl. subs, 5 played against Larnaca so it wasn't exactly the B team which almost makes it worse!
I wasn't there but I saw the goal on Twitter, the misplaced pass by Massey is bad enough but the ball and run between the centre halves is just desperate.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5970
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 pm

The fact of the matter is while we do have a big squad. How many of them would we actually want to fill in as cover long term? Ok i would start John Mountney every week. But what have we seen of Sam Byrne? Folan for me isn't gòod enough. Our heads have been turned by players from further afield. Adorjan.. yeah his club think so highly of him that he is now gone to siere C. Is that the required level? Cork bring back dunlevey from premier league club and out high profile signing goes to the 3rd division of Italy. Chevdukas appears to be a crock. How many games has be played for us? International standard players with aspirations to kick on don't end up in Ireland. You can say wesley Charles and Joey N'do but they made names for themselves here. We need a smaller more quality filled squad next season. Simple as. If you don't want to win the EA Sports cup or treat it with respect then play the youth team from the first round. When you get to the semi final especially as the cup holders you go out and compete. Realistically who have we to score goals for us when Hoban is injured, loses form or gets suspended?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Dundalk10 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:35 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:The fact of the matter is while we do have a big squad. How many of them would we actually want to fill in as cover long term? Ok i would start John Mountney every week. But what have we seen of Sam Byrne? Folan for me isn't gòod enough. Our heads have been turned by players from further afield. Adorjan.. yeah his club think so highly of him that he is now gone to siere C. Is that the required level? Cork bring back dunlevey from premier league club and out high profile signing goes to the 3rd division of Italy. Chevdukas appears to be a crock. How many games has be played for us? International standard players with aspirations to kick on don't end up in Ireland. You can say wesley Charles and Joey N'do but they made names for themselves here. We need a smaller more quality filled squad next season. Simple as. If you don't want to win the EA Sports cup or treat it with respect then play the youth team from the first round. When you get to the semi final especially as the cup holders you go out and compete. Realistically who have we to score goals for us when Hoban is injured, loses form or gets suspended?

Agree 100%


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests