Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:38 pm

GUBU

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:40 pm

I think questions need to be asked about the quality of players we signed.. marco was an absolute bum. Byrne was clearly overweight chevdukas obviously had an underlying issue with his ankle and adorjan ends up in the 3rd division of Italian football.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Ezeikial wrote:GUBU

In English? :-)
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:04 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:GUBU

In English? :-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:39 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:I think questions need to be asked about the quality of players we signed.. marco was an absolute bum. Byrne was clearly overweight chevdukas obviously had an underlying issue with his ankle and adorjan ends up in the 3rd division of Italian football.

In fairness we did get some right- Cleary, Jarvis and Hoban, who was a risky and many doubted. Adorjan was getting better and had quality and wanted to stay. We don’t know when chevdukas got his injury and we have not really seen him. From the limited amount we have seen Sam Byrne he would not get a game in the summer league but Kenny must see something in him in training. Marco was a pup and Folan is not got enough. I think all the foreign signings were late in the day as we were massively underprepared because of the ownership issue. I think it will be different this year. Saying all that we have done brilliantly well considering all the changes every year to the team. McGrath and Hoare last years signings have kicked on. Not all signings will work out it is the same at every club and not all players have worked out at our club over the past five years.

What is important now is to dust ourselves off, get a big crowd up on Friday, fire up the team and get back to winning ways. It is two months to the next Friday league game at Oriel so we got to enjoy it. If we win the league I will be very happy this season. We will also have more players in long term contracts than ever before, a proper full time set up, small improvements in the ground and a proper time to prepare for next year. The key is to win the league and we are in a good place with a record number of league wins in succession. We have pushed on from last season when the league was already run at this stage.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am

If we win the League this season is a roaring success, regardless of the cups. Europe was par, not a bust.

We keep getting variants of 'the manager knows best', well Byrne was given a new contract to the end of next season so he's obviously seen something that no one can see on the pitch.

Georgie Kelly was cup-tied, he seems a very bright prospect so in theory he's our Hoban back up.

Of the starting 11 only Cleary, Massey and Connolly could be considered regulars. Would the amount of competitive football the rest have played since the Quarter Final total 90 mins combined? You can't just hit the ground running, especially against a young, hungry side, hardened in Division 1, playing at home in the biggest competitive game of their career to date. Someone mentioned Mountney. But he had a stinker too. Ball bounced off him all night. But - like the rest - it was his first proper game in months.

The two biggest issues coming out of the game for me were Massey and Connolly. Massey was captain and put in the most lazy, disinterested performance I've ever seen from him. He deserves to be dropped and I hope Jarvis takes his place for an extended period.

I'm convinced Connolly was played to give him some confidence. Kenny thought he'd tear their defence a new one. It backfired spectacularly. He played him on the left, then on the right after McGrath came on. Connolly tried, that's not the problem, but I said it in the Larnaca thread - he can't dribble, can't/doesn't shoot, can't pass, can't cross, can't press, gets easily dispossessed or sent down a dead end by any full back worth his salt. I thought Kenny was pig-headed with Kilduff, but at least he chipped in with fairly regular crucial goals. It's not working.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Have to say when going to this match I never thought for a moment that we would lose but that's football I suppose. Even so, we looked so disjointed & so many poor performances throughout the team, Massey, Mountney & Connolly to name just three. Sava, if truth be told had little or nothing to do. Add to this the great Dundalk support in attendance, it was just so disappointing.

I have never seen Stephen Kenny so animated on the line from after Cobh scored, he was livid & rightly so. Hopefully we can put recent losses behind us & move on, starting Friday v Cobh again in the Cup. This will ease pressure on our manager, pressure I'm sure he's beginning to feel.

Finally, the very best of luck to Cobh in the final.

C'MON THE TOWN:

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:I think questions need to be asked about the quality of players we signed.. marco was an absolute bum. Byrne was clearly overweight chevdukas obviously had an underlying issue with his ankle and adorjan ends up in the 3rd division of Italian football.

In fairness we did get some right- Cleary, Jarvis and Hoban, who was a risky and many doubted. Adorjan was getting better and had quality and wanted to stay. We don’t know when chevdukas got his injury and we have not really seen him. From the limited amount we have seen Sam Byrne he would not get a game in the summer league but Kenny must see something in him in training. Marco was a pup and Folan is not got enough. I think all the foreign signings were late in the day as we were massively underprepared because of the ownership issue. I think it will be different this year. Saying all that we have done brilliantly well considering all the changes every year to the team. McGrath and Hoare last years signings have kicked on. Not all signings will work out it is the same at every club and not all players have worked out at our club over the past five years.

What is important now is to dust ourselves off, get a big crowd up on Friday, fire up the team and get back to winning ways. It is two months to the next Friday league game at Oriel so we got to enjoy it. If we win the league I will be very happy this season. We will also have more players in long term contracts than ever before, a proper full time set up, small improvements in the ground and a proper time to prepare for next year. The key is to win the league and we are in a good place with a record number of league wins in succession. We have pushed on from last season when the league was already run at this stage.

Wont be 1,500 Friday night. Home in Cup v Div 1 team, EPL back and live on the tele, Season Tickets not counted.

Club should put tickets at €10 Stand and €5 ground

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:20 pm

El Paso wrote:If we win the League this season is a roaring success, regardless of the cups. Europe was par, not a bust.

We keep getting variants of 'the manager knows best', well Byrne was given a new contract to the end of next season so he's obviously seen something that no one can see on the pitch.

Are you saying that the manager was wrong to sign Byrne on a new contract, or just that you can't see why?
Maybe you are saying both things?

Time will tell if SK's confidence is justified or not - and that is more likely to be in 2019

El Paso wrote:Georgie Kelly was cup-tied, he seems a very bright prospect so in theory he's our Hoban back up.

Of the starting 11 only Cleary, Massey and Connolly could be considered regulars. Would the amount of competitive football the rest have played since the Quarter Final total 90 mins combined? You can't just hit the ground running, especially against a young, hungry side, hardened in Division 1, playing at home in the biggest competitive game of their career to date. Someone mentioned Mountney. But he had a stinker too. Ball bounced off him all night. But - like the rest - it was his first proper game in months.

The two biggest issues coming out of the game for me were Massey and Connolly. Massey was captain and put in the most lazy, disinterested performance I've ever seen from him. He deserves to be dropped and I hope Jarvis takes his place for an extended period.

I agree that the match fitness of the squad players has been consistently founding wanting this season and throwing in lads who have little or no match sharpness is a problem, whether it is a second string side for a cup match like this, or more alarmingly coming in as an injury or suspension replacement in a crucial league game.

There is a chicken and egg scenario here: no matches = less fit = less likely to get match time.

Rotation is one possible answer, but maybe it is not the exclusive one. It is possible that there other factors such as strength and conditioning, more regular "reserve" challenge games, in addition to being more open to rotating key players

El Paso wrote:
I'm convinced Connolly was played to give him some confidence. Kenny thought he'd tear their defence a new one. It backfired spectacularly. He played him on the left, then on the right after McGrath came on. Connolly tried, that's not the problem, but I said it in the Larnaca thread - he can't dribble, can't/doesn't shoot, can't pass, can't cross, can't press, gets easily dispossessed or sent down a dead end by any full back worth his salt. I thought Kenny was pig-headed with Kilduff, but at least he chipped in with fairly regular crucial goals. It's not working.

Stephen Kenny has a successful track record of sticking with players he believes in - Ruaidhri Higgins, Ronan Finn and Ciaran Kilduff jump to mind. I just don't expect him to be able to repeat that in this case

Adam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Adam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 pm

^^ What El Paso said. I was confused by our signing of players before the start of the season. We needed a Finn replacement and a junior O'Donnell. Instead we got more deep-lying forwards, a new backup left back while letting (the presumably less costly) Grimes go.

I think it's great that we are building for the future but the squad must match how the manager uses the players. If we are going with a 1st Xi and subs, then we need 16 better than average players, and some young lads.

Today, we have 22 players (excluding young locals) registered, with 2 centre mids (Skip and Chevdukas) both long-term injuries. We have so 7 deep forwards/wingers (McGrath, Duffy, McEleney, Connolly, Murray, Byrne, Mountney) - none of whom could play in a Midfield 2. I can forgive the Connolly signing, (he's all motorboat and no pilot), but overloading on players like Murray or Byrne is wasteful when we end up missing players like Watts.

Add to that we have Kelly just signed from UCD and Pat Hoban. Hoban has done a great job, but in previous years we had a little more up top. Like McMillan AND Hoban, or McMillan and Kilduff. People who offered something different.

Look, if we hold our nerve, we'll get the league - everything else is secondary. The Cup would be nice, but we need to find that slightly higher level of player for centre midfield, esp. if we are to progress in Europe next season.

In Kenny we trust, but as fans, we also need to ask some of the obvious questions - like how did Marco end up at the club?
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Are you saying that the manager was wrong to sign Byrne on a new contract, or just that you can't see why?

Time will tell if SK's confidence is justified or not - and that is more likely to be in 2019

Neither, exactly. Just literally that none of us have really seen him play yet.

Ezeikial wrote:Rotation is one possible answer, but maybe it is not the exclusive one. It is possible that there other factors such as strength and conditioning, more regular "reserve" challenge games, in addition to being more open to rotating key players

Some of them - Poynton springs to mind - look like they've done a lot of gymwork. Lots of upper body bulk. I know next to nothing about the area, but they just don't have the sharpness of body and mind that comes with regular games.

Not sure about windows and rules here, but maybe a couple of the contracted players who are unlikely to get a look in for the remainder of our season should be sent up North on loan until January and train with us the days they're not training up there? Newry seems an obvious destination. I mean obviously that might leave us light in certain areas, but right now if I was told we had an injury crisis and Folan, Chvedukas, Mountney and Byrne all had to start the next League match I'd be very worried.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:48 pm

El Paso wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Are you saying that the manager was wrong to sign Byrne on a new contract, or just that you can't see why?

Neither, exactly. Just literally that none of us have really seen him play yet.

Ezeikial wrote:Rotation is one possible answer, but maybe it is not the exclusive one. It is possible that there other factors such as strength and conditioning, more regular "reserve" challenge games, in addition to being more open to rotating key players

Some of them - Poynton springs to mind - look like they've done a lot of gymwork. Lots of upper body bulk. I know next to nothing about the area, but they just don't have the sharpness of body and mind that comes with regular games.

Not sure about windows and rules here, but maybe a couple of the contracted players who are unlikely to get a look in for the remainder of our season should be sent up North on loan until January and train with us the days they're not training up there? Newry seems an obvious destination. I mean obviously that might leave us light in certain areas, but right now if I was told we had an injury crisis and Folan, Chvedukas, Mountney and Byrne all had to start the next League match I'd be very worried.

Don’t ageee you can stick Mountney in that list. He was rubbish in his first game back v Pats in EA cup then within less than two games was playing brilliant ball, the best of his career.

Folan not up to it. Chvedukas and Byrne who knows but certainly not up to it this season

Murray has always looked ok when he came on and was in team of the year last season so must have pedigree

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Cobh Ramblers V Dundalk | Mon 6 Aug | 5pm | St Coleman's Park | EA Sports Cup Semi-Final

Postby Sneachta » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Adam wrote:^^ What El Paso said. I was confused by our signing of players before the start of the season. We needed a Finn replacement and a junior O'Donnell. Instead we got more deep-lying forwards, a new backup left back while letting (the presumably less costly) Grimes go.

I think it's great that we are building for the future but the squad must match how the manager uses the players. If we are going with a 1st Xi and subs, then we need 16 better than average players, and some young lads.

Today, we have 22 players (excluding young locals) registered, with 2 centre mids (Skip and Chevdukas) both long-term injuries. We have so 7 deep forwards/wingers (McGrath, Duffy, McEleney, Connolly, Murray, Byrne, Mountney) - none of whom could play in a Midfield 2. I can forgive the Connolly signing, (he's all motorboat and no pilot), but overloading on players like Murray or Byrne is wasteful when we end up missing players like Watts.

Add to that we have Kelly just signed from UCD and Pat Hoban. Hoban has done a great job, but in previous years we had a little more up top. Like McMillan AND Hoban, or McMillan and Kilduff. People who offered something different.

Look, if we hold our nerve, we'll get the league - everything else is secondary. The Cup would be nice, but we need to find that slightly higher level of player for centre midfield, esp. if we are to progress in Europe next season.

In Kenny we trust, but as fans, we also need to ask some of the obvious questions - like how did Marco end up at the club?
Don't forget we had Maguire. The games I saw him...I thought he was hot stuff. Kilduff always got the nod and that fluke of a back heel in a cup game I feel was one of numerous turning point that Kenny would not give Maguire a chance. N gauges kilduff for a few massive goals for us

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”