Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
White Horse wrote:Cleary was excellent. He needed to be, as Gartland had a mare.

Not a great night for those who have been cheerleading Chevdukas. I saw nothing in his performance to merit his inclusion in league games. He gave the ball away far too cheaply, too often.

He gave the ball away too cheaply? I have to disagree with you, he was not alone in that department. It was across the board tonight. I thought he hassled and harried and for a guy who has played sweet FA i thought he was ok in that holding position. He did a good bit of side and back passing but to call him out on giving the ball away cheaply is a tad harsh. Gartland was woefully guilty of that.

Saying others were worse is hardly a ringing endorsement of Chvedukas.

He was poor as was Murray. Unfortunately we have not seen any evidence that either of them can do the business for us, although match fitness is a big barrier.

It is especially disappointing as many others are underperforming and need to be challenged

Have to strongly disagree. In the second half Chevdukas moved the ball well, with both feet and plenty of first time passes. I like the look of him, covers the ground quickly.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:26 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Have to strongly disagree. In the second half Chevdukas moved the ball well, with both feet and plenty of first time passes. I like the look of him, covers the ground quickly.

I suppose its all about opinions and I respect your view.

In the context of a current multi-capped international footballer playing against a young team sitting 2 places from the bottom of the first division (ahead only of Wexford and Athlone), I would expect him to dominate midfield throughout the 90 minutes

I would love to see him prove himself to be real quality and I accept that fitness is a significant barrier, but playing well in parts of the second half does not cut the mustard for me for an established international player

Nevertheless I remain hopeful about him
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby paul1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Very poor performance last night, what we have learned over the last few games is that a lot of fringe players are not up to it, some haven’t got enough game time so there is an excuse fore a few.. As Kenny usually doesn’t use the full squad , for next season I’d go for more quality and trim the squad right down, he has to stop picking players who are not performing and sticking with them and he also has to admit some of his money signings haven’t worked out and are not up to standard and bite the bullet and move them on ... Benson can’t be above dropping , and we need someone of equal quality of Duffy on the other wing.. People saying Benson will be moving next season I’d love to know where they think he will be playing because he hasn’t a chance of making it outside Ireland... Duffy should be tied down to a longer contract if at all possible to starve of competition from other clubs within the league as I honestly think he wouldn’t be good enough across the water either as a lot better have went and failed, but he has the quality within the league here.. if we had him on one wing and someone of the quality of say a Sadlier we would cause a lot of teams trouble...There are a few positions that we need to address with real quality.. midfield to help Shields is the obvious one, a quality winger, and maybe if possible the goalkeeping area could be looked at if there is room in the budget after our main problems are addressed..

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm

1. I am disappointed that some people don't seem to understand how difficult it is for players to perform without adequate game time. In particular players who are relatively new to their teammates and our system.

2. Why do people keep saying "the club needs to tie Michael Duffy down to a new contract". It's been offered, he's refused. We have to live with it.

3. This obsession with another goalkeeper is increasingly difficult to justify.

Our ratio of Goals For/Against is 5:1, while Corks is 3:1 and Rovers 2:1.

We've only conceded 12, which is half the average of the other three sides at the top (I resisted the temptation to include Derry)

I'm not sure what more Gary Rogers can do. He's certainly nowhere near ready to turn into a nightclub singer.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Agree with all those, personally. Particularly number 1. Every pro who talks about the game says there’s no preparation to match actual game time. I’d be a lot tougher on the regulars who have a poor game than the lads starting their second competitive game since April.

Vending10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vending10 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Was there any need for mr Duffy to go out of his way to announce the score in the Drogheda v rovers game ?? I mean I really couldn’t give a shit what score it was , just came across as obsessed. Sick and tired of him at this stage . Kills any sort of atmosphere before during and after each home match . Rant over .

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 pm

oldfogey wrote:1. I am disappointed that some people don't seem to understand how difficult it is for players to perform without adequate game time. In particular players who are relatively new to their teammates and our system.

2. Why do people keep saying "the club needs to tie Michael Duffy down to a new contract". It's been offered, he's refused. We have to live with it.

3. This obsession with another goalkeeper is increasingly difficult to justify.

Our ratio of Goals For/Against is 5:1, while Corks is 3:1 and Rovers 2:1.

We've only conceded 12, which is half the average of the other three sides at the top (I resisted the temptation to include Derry)

I'm not sure what more Gary Rogers can do. He's certainly nowhere near ready to turn into a nightclub singer.

Spot on oldfogey. I think the problem is that we have too big a squad and it will only get harder for the fringe players to get any game time. Better in ways to have a smaller tighter squad which allows for rotation. Michael duffy the player is good ad loi standards go, but he won't make it at even league 1 standard imho. Why do we need a new keeper? Gary Rogers is playing very well this season. And we have 2 keepers. Not sure if either are good enough to be our number 1. But Gary doesn't appear to be losing any form or agility and imho is a very good keeper.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 am

I agree Rodgers is playing well this season no doubt and signing someone within the league probably wouldn’t be much of an improvement ,my point was if we got all our positions sorted out and a top quality keeper became available from outside the league it would be foolish of us not to look at the situation if the budget allowed, but there is bigger positions we need to sort out first..

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 am

I agree Rodgers is playing well this season no doubt and signing someone within the league probably wouldn’t be much of an improvement ,my point was if we got all our positions sorted out and a top quality keeper became available from outside the league it would be foolish of us not to look at the situation if the budget allowed, but there is bigger positions we need to sort out first..

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 am

paul1 wrote:I agree Rodgers is playing well this season no doubt and signing someone within the league probably wouldn’t be much of an improvement ,my point was if we got all our positions sorted out and a top quality keeper became available from outside the league it would be foolish of us not to look at the situation if the budget allowed, but there is bigger positions we need to sort out first..

It's a delicate balance. A manager is only going to go out and a sign a quality goalkeeper as and when he needs him and can guarantee him first team football. For the amount of game time he actually gets I can't fault Sava for his efforts when he steps in or his commitment to the club. When the time comes I believe SK will either offer it to Sava, or decide to go out and - possibly - BUY someone good. Very few decent keepers are on a free.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:56 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
oldfogey wrote:1. I am disappointed that some people don't seem to understand how difficult it is for players to perform without adequate game time. In particular players who are relatively new to their teammates and our system.

Spot on oldfogey. I think the problem is that we have too big a squad and it will only get harder for the fringe players to get any game time. Better in ways to have a smaller tighter squad which allows for rotation.

There is no doubt about the difficulties around players coming into games without match sharpness, but the solution to this dilemma is hardly just to cull the squad. If Murray, Poynton, Chvedukas & Mountney were part of an 18 man squad, they would only be fitter if they actually got game time. All the evidence is that Stephen Kenny is reluctant to make changes or rotate for fitness sake irrespective of the range of options.

The Brentford B model of a constant series of challenge matches might be a partial solution, but adjustments in S & C / Fitness regime may also have a part to play in addition to rotation

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Why do we need a new keeper? Gary Rogers is playing very well this season. And we have 2 keepers. Not sure if either are good enough to be our number 1. But Gary doesn't appear to be losing any form or agility and imho is a very good keeper.

I'm confused by your post - if neither Rogers or Sava are good enough "to be our number 1", is that not a strong argument from you for why we need a new keeper?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am

Ezeikial wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Why do we need a new keeper? Gary Rogers is playing very well this season. And we have 2 keepers. Not sure if either are good enough to be our number 1. But Gary doesn't appear to be losing any form or agility and imho is a very good keeper.

I'm confused by your post - if neitvher Rogers or Sava are good enough "to be our number 1", is that not a strong argument from you for why we need a new keeper?

Gary rogers is good enough to be our number 1 i meant we have 2 sub keepers
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I can kill 2 birds with one stone here.

1. Not giving your reserve keeper enough game time - Peter Cherrie v Legia Warsaw.

2. Persisting with your no 1 when passed his sell by date - Mark McNulty this season.

Return to “General Discussion”