Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Team it will be:
-------------Rogers
Gannon-Hoare-Gartland-Massey
Benson-Shields
Connolly-McGrath-Duffy
Hoban

Team I'd like to see start:
-------------Rogers
Gannon-Hoare-Gartland-Massey
Mountney-Shields-Jarvis
---McGrath-----Duffy---
------------Hoban

The sparse occasions Rovers put us under pressure this season was when they threatened to overwhelm the two in the middle. Finn and Bolger are not what they were but they still have quality in the middle. I would like to see us not being so front loaded in games like these.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Tuesday can't come quick enough!

Anytime is a good time to beat Rovers, but this one would be special
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 am

RTE columnist and ex Rovers player Paul Corry analyses what has gone wrong for them and how they should move forward.

It just breaks my heart to read about Rovers struggling....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/08 ... tment-now/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:22 am

Ezeikial wrote:RTE columnist and ex Rovers player Paul Corry analyses what has gone wrong for them and how they should move forward.

It just breaks my heart to read about Rovers struggling....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/08 ... tment-now/

They have messed up in the boardroom. They should never have sacked Stephen Kenny. Their loss is our immense gain. And the managers they have signed since!! Wouldn't be surprised to see Damien Duff installed there next. Only he is probably too shrewd to take it on.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:29 pm

For me, Benson could / should be doing more, but I can see why SK selects him in the middle.

With Shields breaking it up and protecting the back 4, two out wide, and most probably McGrath at no 10 Benson plays that attacking link role and offers a balance, he's doing ok, but we really should be seeing more from him.

Will be interesting to see who SK picks on the right, will he continue with Connolly for his pace, or might Mountney be considered after his strong showing last night? Jarvis also did well last night, but I don't see him starting in MF for a game like this, I also think Massey will retain left full.

Final slot on the no 10, I'd expect McGrath to keep his spot, but McEleney will run him close, his fitness is getting better as seen last night.

Can't wait for this game, going to be a tough match but the chance to go 6 clear with same games played is a fantastic opportunity.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Hoare | Jarvis
Shields | Benson
Mountney | McGrath | Duffy
Hoban

Subs
Cleary
Massey
Mountney
McEleney
Connolly
Kelly
Sava

------------
Murray to miss out from the matchday 18?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Hoare | Jarvis
Shields | Benson
Mountney | McGrath | Duffy
Hoban

Subs
Cleary
Massey
Mountney
McEleney
Connolly
Kelly
Sava

------------
Murray to miss out from the matchday 18?

I think it's unfair to select Mountney twice and leave Murray out. But in Kenny we trust.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:27 pm

You've Mountney twice there. But what do I know!

18 is plenty of squad for us, really, given how little Kenny changes things up.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm

El Paso wrote:You've Mountney twice there. But what do I know!

18 is plenty of squad for us, really, given how little Kenny changes things up.

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
I think it's unfair to select Mountney twice and leave Murray out. But in Kenny we trust.

You chaps make a compelling case for including Murray on the bench

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Mountney! Mountney!
So good they named him twice!
The Back of the Wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Shamrock Rovers website

TEAM NEWS: AWAY V DUNDALK 28-08-2018

Stephen Bradley gave us his thoughts in advance of Tuesday’s game away v Dundalk in Oriel Park, kick off 7.45pm.

Bohemians

“We’re obviously really disappointed to lose the game and frustrated with the goal we gave away. It was a clear foul, you could see that Pico Lopes is being held on the ground but it’s still a poor goal from our point of view to give away because we were in control of the ball and the game at that stage. It’s a derby, it’s a big game so we’re disappointed with the outcome.

We look at everything [in the four derbies] but that’s the way it goes sometimes. If you look at last year, Derry would have been our bogey team and it’s flipped on its head this season. Sometimes you just get one of those teams. We’d been really good up to Drogheda in terms of creating chances and scoring goals so hopefully we can get back to that this week.”

Dundalk

“It’s a massive game, a really tough game. We know that Dundalk are in good form but it’s a challenge that we’re really looking forward to. We always do well up there and I’m sure Tuesday will be no different. It was a tight game [in April]. I think the goals were our mistakes, we were well in the game. I’m sure it’ll be a tight game again tomorrow night. We’re capable of beating any team in the league so we’re all looking forward to it. There’s a lot of points to be played for between now and the end of the season, we just need to stay focused and get back to what we do well.”

Squad

“The Leaving Cert had a big part in Aaron Bolger not featuring more in the season but that’s over now so Aaron is like any other player now, competing for a starting place in the team. Gary Shaw was a strange one – he was OK beforehand but he felt his hamstring in the warm up [against Bohs] and obviously we couldn’t bring him on. He’s fine now, he’s trained the last few days. Luke Byrne is still a little bit away. He came back training and had a recurrence of the same injury. Sean Boyd is still a couple of weeks away.”

Tickets for the away end will be on sale at Oriel from 6.30pm on matchnight.

https://shamrockrovers.ie/2018/08/27/10326/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:49 pm

I note that Rovers are telling their supporters that tickets are available from Oriel Park on the night while the Dundalk website is saying

Please note that away tickets are available directly from Shamrock Rovers FC and away supporters will not be permitted into home areas.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/online-ticket ... ck-rovers/

There may or may not be a conflict here in the apparently contradictory messages, but Rovers have a history of non-cooperation when it comes to away ticket distribution

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 pm

“The Leaving Cert had a big part in Aaron Bolger not featuring more in the season but that’s over now so Aaron is like any other player now, competing for a starting place in the team.

Ah here - does he not know that the Leaving Cert exams finished in June?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Ezeikial wrote:I note that Rovers are telling their supporters that tickets are available from Oriel Park on the night while the Dundalk website is saying

Please note that away tickets are available directly from Shamrock Rovers FC and away supporters will not be permitted into home areas.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/online-ticket ... ck-rovers/

There may or may not be a conflict here in the apparently contradictory messages, but Rovers have a history of non-cooperation when it comes to away ticket distribution

They also have a history - more than any other club - of hiding their colours and buying stand tickets at the ticket hatch. You'll find 50 or 60 of them dotted around the stand getting a bit too antsy when things don't go their way. So much for segregation.

Return to “General Discussion”