Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 am

I loveduffy.com we are away in the cup qtr final not home.

Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 am

I had a massive post written and my phone shut down

I'll be dammed if I write it again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:58 am

I will never understand how SK thought bringing on Connolly for McEleney was the right decision at the time? McEleney was off the pace and needed to be replaced but how does he turn to the bench and choose Connolly over Mountney? It was a tough, physical battle and Connolly has the physicality or Casper the friendly ghost, just spent the game running at players and throwing himself to the ground. He won 1 tackle if I remember and ran down the wing the ball and crossed the ball into the f&%@ing petrol station. He is an absolute waster and doesn't deserve to wear the jersey as he doesn't play for it.
Mon the Town!

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:36 am

To say he doesn't play for it is a tad OTT i think. He did land that cross beyont in the petrol station, but he does try. He maybe cat more times than not but he does try.

I'd be more livid over the performance of Benson. Consistently underperforming.

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby OHare » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 am

Benson was poor again last night.. Badly lacking someone in midfield who is going to demand the ball and drive forward with intent. Too many times Benson looks like he is casually strolling through some games.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:16 am

Sneachta wrote:To say he doesn't play for it is a tad OTT i think. He did land that cross beyont in the petrol station, but he does try. He maybe cat more times than not but he does try.

I'd be more livid over the performance of Benson. Consistently underperforming.

I get where you're coming from but in terms of defending he simply doesn't try, if you watch Rodgers, Gannon or Garts when the opposing team has a set-piece in our half, they are constantly screaming at him to mark someone and he usually throws his hands up and points at a player that he is nowhere near.

I also agree that Benson has not played well at all this season, far cry from the player that was heavily linked with a move to Scotland with Davey Mc after last season.
Mon the Town!

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 am

There is talk of him been given an ultimatum by his suitors prior to Dundalk. A financial institution offering a six figure salary. Perhaps turning his head.

Gannon Gartland and Rogers didn't cover themselves in glory in the first half last night either.

Incredibly frustrating game. I don't think rovers offered much either. One of the poorest rovers team I've seen in a while and they beat us

carlisletce
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby carlisletce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

Cannot believe we did not get at least one point if not three. Rovers pressed very high in the opening ten minutes and went long to put pressure on our defence. Gartland gave away easy free for goal. Defending for the goal was very deep. After the goal we did well and Benson should have been on target with shot from Gannon’s cross and Massey was unlucky that the ball hit off him into keepers hand.
Rovers did not offer an awful lot in second half. Their subs gave them a bit of a lift when they came on.
We had a lot of possession and if Bensons header went in it was game over. Such is football. McEleney is just short of match practice. In added time ball should have been cleared but Gannon just miscued, and referee gave a soft penalty to Finn. Disappointed Hoare got sent off after final whistle.
3 points ahead and a massive goal difference. Everybody would take that with 7 games to go.
Greatest League in the world, roll on Friday.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 am

We need to beat Cork in Turners & show we are the Champions.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 am

Benson and McEleney both duds last night - and not for the first time.
MOTM for me was Hoare, despite stupid red card.
Why Mountney does not get much more playing time is beyond me.
The Back of the Wall

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 am

If that game was played a hundred times, with the same performances from both teams, Dundalk would win at least 95% of the time.

It was one of those games, a couple of sloppy moments and a rubbish referee.

The game is history, the next one is the important one.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Probably wrong thread to put this in but what is going on with the “official” attendance announcements? Last night was ridiculous. 2600 was announced and it was plain to see that the crowd was far bigger than what was announced. I’m s getting farcical at this stage.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm

We were some what naive in the build up to the goal , the ref hopped the ball after a player was injured which we tapped back to one of there defenders which in a few phases resulted in the penalty, if giving the ball back it should have been hit back towards Mannus and out for a goal kick, For the penalty Gannon should have put his boot through it wasn’t the place to try and be fancy having just cleared of our own line... we had enough chances to win three games never mind one..Honestly don’t know how Benson is getting away with performance like that, he needn’t worry about a move to a big club because it won’t happen.. And as for the attendance that’s is a total joke if not going to give it out properly don’t give out one at all , they must really think we are fools to believe that was all that was there last night..

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

mountney should have started no ifs or buts,hes the type of player we needed in,strong on the ball and not afraid to have a pop on target which he demostrated last week ,to many players trying to walk it in last night,if your lucky enought to get near goal have a pop ,who knows what will happen as for taking throws seems like know one wants it ,there was ample chancesof quick throw ins last night but every time to slow letting rovers regroup ,theres time you know exactly what is going to happen next,as for connoly ideal player for lesser teams 99% of tackles he was on the ground looking for a free pathetic

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

mountney should have started no ifs or buts,hes the type of player we needed in,strong on the ball and not afraid to have a pop on target which he demostrated last week ,to many players trying to walk it in last night,if your lucky enought to get near goal have a pop ,who knows what will happen as for taking throws seems like know one wants it ,there was ample chancesof quick throw ins last night but every time to slow letting rovers regroup ,theres time you know exactly what is going to happen next,as for connoly ideal player for lesser teams 99% of tackles he was on the ground looking for a free pathetic

Return to “General Discussion”