Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers | Tues 28 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:18 pm

We do seem very reluctant to shoot from distance. The keepers in this league are poor - always a chance they’ll spill or parry a shot on target.

I still think we have 9 or 10 of the players. We’re just missing that bit of intelligence, decision making and control O’Donnell and Boyle gave us.

Also every one of us could pick last night’s team bar maybe Connolly for McEleney, which was the first sub anyway. Bradley had 10 days to prepare for that. Maybe not being so predictable would be a good thing?

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Highlights of the game are on rte.ie
I take back what I said. No way was it a penalty
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:04 pm

There's enough there for a clown like Harvey - Gannon loses it then lunges in. Maybe in the split second he gets there ahead of Finn, but you see them given as fouls outside the box regularly enough. They had half a dozen opportunities to clear it in the build up.

The first goal was criminal.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Yea I’ve changed my view on it too! If it was down the other end, we’d have been screaming for it. Still a very soft peno though.
King Kenny!

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:38 pm

It wasn't a penalty but you should never give a bad referee a decision like that to make.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Never in a million yrs is it a penalty. Finn doesn't even appeal.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/08 ... vers-edge/
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

DFCLife
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DFCLife » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Didn't think it was a penalty last night and don't think so after seeing the video either. Nonetheless I'm disappointed that we couldn't clear the ball prior to that.
N'Golo Kanté has posters of Chris Shields on his bedroom wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Sneachta wrote:Ezeikial, you are a controversial and outspoken poster. But your last two posts are spot on 100%.

Can't sleep! Brain is still ringing!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Sneachta, I don't know if you are referring to my posts on this site only, but the inference in your remarks is that you disagree with many of the comments or opinions I post here. Maybe you think I should conform or moderate my views?

If you disagree with something here - my comments or others - the beauty of have a discussion board is that articulating contrary reasoned views add to the forum. Don't be shy!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Although we were unfortunate tonight, there comes a point that the manager has to recognise that some of these players are simply not good enough

Strange comment considering we recently set a modern day record of 13 wins on the bounce and sit top of the league with a fairly crazy goal difference.
I can only think of one regular player who I think is not good enough.

The 2016 team would whoop this teams ass though. No doubt.

Even if the yardstick is domestic success, it's hardly a particularly strange view if you appear to be agreeing that at least one regular starter is not good enough. If it is viewed from the perspective of winning the league, there are a number of players who have been consistently under-performing this season. There are issues at full back, central midfield and on one wing. In some cases it may be a loss of form, in others in may be a loss of application or hunger - for at least one of these, it is more obviously an absence of quality

If the stated goal is to progress to European group stages, the inadequacies of some of the above becomes even more glaring, and arguably it also extends the list.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 pm

colymull wrote:Yea I’ve changed my view on it too! If it was down the other end, we’d have been screaming for it. Still a very soft peno though.

I've watched a few times more and I'm back thinking it was never a penalty. Gannon turns his back and kicks it out for a corner. Finn falls over his outstretched leg. I was convinced last night it was actually a free out and that footage has confirmed my thoughts. A horrible piece of refereeing.
King Kenny!

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Lots of cathartic comments on the site. Could not even do that last night as too gutted. The first goal was a killer and it took a long time for us to come to terms with it. I know I am flowing against the tide as I think the criticism of Benson is not fully deserved last night. In the first half he was running past players, getting in the box and being positive. He missed good chances but got himself in good positions. Score the header at the end and he is the hero. Connolly is not up to it not matter how we dress it up. He has some good moments but if he left nobody would really care. Mountney just back from injury so has to be eased in but he should play every week when fit. I thought last night no way was a penalty but now I just don’t know, TV not conclusive without slow mo and close ups. Gannon badly at fault with the miss control. Need to put it behind us and pick it up for Limerick. Atmosphere was ok last night but should be better at this stage of the season and when we play Rovers. Too many moans and groans for every missed pass or miss control, the players feel that. Hoban mentioned it recently in reference to the Cobh cup game. We need positivity and lots of noise every game from now until we win the league

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Look I had a perfect view from the stand, it was never a penalty. As Robbie says above, ganno clearly got the ball, cleared it and Finn went over. I too thought the ref was going to give it the other way. Harps should have a had a penalty last Friday but I was truly shocked when he blew for that last night .
bTW maybe Mickey Duffy doesn’t play Dire Straits when we lose a game please

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm

A penalty was given, we've got soft ones in the past. Lets move on. I'd be more converned with our defending from set pieces and sloppy passing.
In Kenny we Trust

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm

We're not the only ones to suffer at the hands of poor refereeing decisions. Clancy absolutely slated the referee from last Friday nights loss to Waterford, and the standard of refereeing in general. Their referee last Friday? Rob Harvey. I was standing on the sideline at the end last night and I was struck by the fact that Paul McLaughlin (4th official) said nothing at all in the face of some very confrontational Dundalk players. It was almost like he couldn't defend Harvey's performance. I sincerely hope they keep him away from us the rest of the season.
Last edited by oldfogey on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 pm

penalty /no penalty refeere overall was a incompetent prick enough said

Return to “General Discussion”