Dundalk FC v Red Star Belgrade | September 7th 1988

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Dundalk FC v Red Star Belgrade | September 7th 1988

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 pm

The Blonde Number Seven: a look back at Dundalk FC's European Cup first-round tie with Red Star Belgrade at Oriel Park which took place 30 years ago this Friday.

Link: https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-the-blonde- ... 07a5770209

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk FC v Red Star Belgrade | September 7th 1988

Postby seand » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 am

Jaysus Gavin you're a bit late with the match thread on this one........

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 am

Great stuff Gavin. Just to note as well, Dejan Savicevic made his Red Star debut against Dundalk. I thought it was at Oriel, but your lineup would suggest otherwise.

There was an additional subtext to the match discovered later, with the leader of Red Star's notorious Delije ultras in attendance. 'Arkan' went on to become an infamous paramilitary leader during the fractious break up of Yugoslavia, and was indicted for crimes against humanity before his murder in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkan

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks Sean. Yeah, Savicevic made his debut in the second leg. After joining Red Star he was sent on national service but there was an agreement that he could play in their European games. His first game for Red Star was against Dundalk and his second was against AC Milan at the San Siro!! In late 89 the Yugoslav FA came to an agreement with the army that professional players could serve their time and still play football so the likes of Savicevic, Darko Pancev and Zvonimir Boban were transferred to a barracks in Belgrade and were able to play full-time.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm

One of the first Dundalk games i have a clear memory of. Red Star were glamorous and mysterious. I missed two of the goals when queuing for sweets at the shop. The fact that I had a pound for sweets suggests it was a big occasion.

What a Red Star team that was- European Cup winners in 91, unarguably one of the best sides in Europe at the time. PSV 76 and Liverpool 82 are probably the only other clubs you could say were among the very best in Europe when we played them.

Here's a ticket from the away leg. If anyone has a ticket from the home leg I've good money available in exchange!

Malaga White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Malaga White » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Great read Gavin. I was 15 and was grounded...had to listen to RTE commentary. Gabriel Egan and Noel King if memory serves.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 pm

seand wrote:One of the first Dundalk games i have a clear memory of. Red Star were glamorous and mysterious. I missed two of the goals when queuing for sweets at the shop. The fact that I had a pound for sweets suggests it was a big occasion.

What a Red Star team that was- European Cup winners in 91, unarguably one of the best sides in Europe at the time. PSV 76 and Liverpool 82 are probably the only other clubs you could say were among the very best in Europe when we played them.

Here's a ticket from the away leg. If anyone has a ticket from the home leg I've good money available in exchange!

You could argue that the Ajax team we played the year before were also among the very best in Europe at the time. With the world class Johan Cruyff as manager!
King Kenny!

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm sure that I have the 'red star' badge still that were given to kids on the way in to Oriel that night. Funny how memory works as I would have been sure that there was more than 3200 at the game, certainly a lot more than Ajax the previous year - some things never change, eh including Oriel Park in the main from the clips. I remember the Red Star players looking a bit surprised that we could string a few passes together and must have gotten a bit of a talking to at half time as they really showed how good they were 2nd half and had Dundalk supporters applauding in awe. We were a bit spoiled by the number of European nights and the calibre of opposition that visited Oriel regularly and fans I think were complacent in thinking that these nights would always happen. A dose of 1st division torture has the town appreciate the club again these days along with 3 and maybe 4 titles in 5 years of course.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I only vaguely remember it as an 11 year old, but that 3200 sounds, with hindsight, as being what was left after the first few hundred ticket sales were siphoned off to pay for the travel to Belgrade!

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

That match was one of the 1st games I was in op. Thought red star were the best side I ever saw. They moved so fast and technique was 2nd to none. As a 9 yr old they just stood out as something I never seen before
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:31 pm

colymull wrote:
seand wrote:One of the first Dundalk games i have a clear memory of. Red Star were glamorous and mysterious. I missed two of the goals when queuing for sweets at the shop. The fact that I had a pound for sweets suggests it was a big occasion.

You could argue that the Ajax team we played the year before were also among the very best in Europe at the time. With the world class Johan Cruyff as manager!

I actually have Cryuff's autograph. Went up to see them train the night before. And this is a true story. Cryuff came over to myself and my dad and asked Dad to post a letter for him to an address out past Castlebellingham.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 pm

My Dad bought juvenile tickets expecting a big crowd but we were told to just jump the turnstile so those tickets with stub and all are here somewhere unless given to the museum as a few prized belongings ended up without my knowing including a Vasas and Zurich programme that my Grandad gave to me :/

Return to “General Discussion”